My Vw Golf 2000 Tdi won't start

igabriel99

Hello,
I have a vw golf 2000 tdi with 60K miles on board, manual transmision.
The car was working just fine till this morning when I couln't start the car.
I have a new battery and when I Turn the key into the ignition nothing happened. The starter didn't crank and the radio didn't stop. like in the case with a old battery.
Any ideas?
thanks

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
That symptom, no starter and radio stays on, can be mimicked by engaging the starter without depressing the clutch. It is possible that the clutch pedal position switch may be defective, or there might be a wiring defect, or it could be something as simple as a mat or other debris under the clutch pedal preventing it from being fully depressed.

igabriel99

I checked those 2 switches at the clutch pedal with a multimeter and are OK.
I think I have a bad starter. I disconected the small wire witch comes from relay and a use another wire from de battery to that pin.The starter didn't do anything.

Borborygmi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You should see +12v on the red/black wire when the starter is engaged and clutch in. The solenoid might be open. That should normally have a comparatively low resistance. If there is continuity, check for voltage. If you connect 12v to the terminal with the red/black wire, there should at least be an audible click, assuming the solenoid isn't toast.

I tried to determine what causes the load reduction relay to disengage the radio and lights and so forth while starting, but the Bentley schematics are not particularly transparent.

igabriel99

Yesterday a took off the starter.
I measured the solenoid and it was open.
I found a bad connection at one solenoid wire.
I resoldered the wire and now the starter works
Thank you for everything