Re: I'm Buying a Rebuilt Starter for the TDI

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Re: I\'m Buying a Rebuilt Starter for the TDI

If you're not inclined enough to take the starter off and re-install it, who is going to do that? Who are you going to PAY to do that?

If you are going to go to an independent shop to get them to change it out, why not let the shop source the replacement starter? They probably have access to sources that you don't, and/or can buy the starter at a discount price that you can't.

In any case, you might want to try picking up the local yellow pages and look for a local auto electric starter-and-alternator place. If you find the right one, they can rebuild YOUR starter and they can probably do the remove/replace, too. The last new-brushes job on my starter cost me about $100, although I did the remove/replace from vehicle myself.

daxjd

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta III, 1998, White
Re: I\'m Buying a Rebuilt Starter for the TDI

Bowlerman has volunteered to replace the starter for me...for a fee of course. As far as getting an independent shop to do the work, I thought it may be a good idea to get someone who knows their way around TDI's to get the job done. Bowlerman has previously worked on TDI's before and he recently changed my timing belt for me. The only stipulation is that I get the parts myself...hence my dilema.

As far as getting my old starter rebuilt by an auto electric starter place...I have yet to find one locally that can compete with just buying another rebuilt starter, and most places don't remove or replace the starter...they just rebuild it.