11mm IP Swap, Won't Start

Nathaniel.Troy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta MkIV
Been inactive for a while since I got rear-ended in my old car and am currently working on slowly swapping everything to my new one.

I recently installed an 11mm injection pump from an engine I had in the barn. Gave me a little bit of trouble priming and trying to find the perfect timing but the install went great. The 11mm IP in my old car jumped around a lot at idle and when checking the injection quantity so I decided not to use it. This one, however, ran perfectly with no jump and a perfect idle, as well as good power all the way through to push my 17/22. Quick explanation: the stock turbo was junk on the car so I installed the 17/22 since it would have been going on the car eventually anyway, I also have been using a 3 bar map sensor with this setup because I did not have a spare stock one. Also, the car is not tuned but this has not caused any problems thus far. Rest of my mods are in my sig.

When I did the install, my car sat in a heated garage for a few days after and started perfectly. Since then, any time it is around -5 degrees Celsius, the car does not want to start. It will turn over repeatedly until the battery dies but won't start. Over here in NB Canada, it's usually -10 on a good day so you can imagine my frustration. Any time the weather was 0 and up, I managed to get it started, except for one time at -4 I was able to crank it enough until it finally started. I'm not sure if it is somehow the IP is not keeping its prime, or if the seals are done, etc. The other thing I thought of was a bad connection somewhere on the pump, possibly the black wire that runs to the solenoid on the pump above the injection lines. There is no leaking fuel anywhere and I don't see any air in the fuel line. I also tried antifreeze in my fuel.

Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you fine tune the timing with vcds? It sounds like your timing is retarded. Or you’re losing prime.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I had the same problem with a 11IP I bought of here. Installed it and it seemed to be pushing fuel but never would start. Took it off and put a 10mm back on and it ran fine. I believe it needed resealing and bled enough pressure off that it couldn’t open the injectors to fire. The fuel would always drift back into the filter when I stopped cranking it over. As I am so lazy I still haven’t resealed it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I believe so yes, but I have also been burning a bit of oil for a while which I think is because my turbo needs some servicing. So I wouldn't be able to tell if the white smoke appeared after I changed the pump.
you won't get oil smoke on cranking, only fuel smoke

Bump the timing advance up (6 degrees will set codes, but it starts REALLY nice), and bump the pump topcover over to the passenger side to get a little more fuel going in while cranking

you can adjust both back where they should be once it is running

you mention no air bubbles, are you getting good flow out of the return? If it is untreated fuel and the wax has dropped out you need to get it up around 80 degrees for it to dissolve back in.