MKV Standard Transmission oil change

EJA

TDI
Jetta 2006 5 spd
Anybody have experience in changing the standard transmission oil and any additive? The vehicle is a '06 jetta with a 5 speed with ~78k. thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No additive needed. You'll get a ton of opinions on what fluid to use, but there's not much wrong with OEM VW, nor Amsoil, nor Redline MTL. Just make sure it lists GL-4 on the bottle. (Don't use a GL-5 if it doesn't also state GL-4.)

Your biggest problem will be getting the correct amount of oil into the transmission. You are supposed to do it by filling it up to the bottom of the front fill plug, then install that plug and put a specified amount more in through the old speedometer-cable hole (no longer used on the Mk5, but the hole for it is there but plugged). That is a real son-of-a-gun to get to. I've always done it by doing the job on an uphill, with a couple of 2x4 boards under the left rear and right front, and jacking the left front corner up as high as I can (to tilt the transmission away from the fill plug in both directions). "Seal" the fill opening around your fill hose with a rag, pour 2 litres of oil into the transmission through the fill hose, and then *quickly* pull out your fill hose and rag and insert the plug before much drains out.

I had issues getting the drain plug to seal its threads, and ended up using liquid pipe sealant on it. Means you need to let it sit for a bit after draining the gearbox, for the stuff to cure.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I would recommend the VW oil that can be sourced from the dealer or the TDIClub vendors. I have the RedLine MT-90 fluid as recommended by one of the vendors. It works great in warm weather, but is a little notchy in the winter.
Follow the gear oil change procedure on myturbodiesel.com
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/manual-gear-Oil-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI.htm
The fill hole is too low, due to the orientation of the transmission as bolted to the engine, and you have to ensure you fill it with the correct amount of fluid. (As explained above).