Feeler: 2005 Passat TDI GLS Balance Shaft Mod DONE

az2142t

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2 Passats 2005 and 2012
I am thinking about selling my '05 Passat TDI. This car is in just about as good of condition as an 05 can be in my opinion. It has 145K ALL highway, I am second owner and I have all receipts from the second owner on (34K to 145k). There are no issues with the car...it drives very smoothly, new Continental's at 130k, Balance Shaft Mod at 137k. Rock solid at 80-90 mph and 36 MPG at that speed, if you can keep it around 65 (I can't!) you will see 40 MPG. Vent mod is done... 650 miles per tank average! Has Blitzsafe aux adapter for Garmin 2730 installed for XM or other aux (iphone/android) as well as Valentine V1 adapter wired and mounted on mirror. The car is detailed every three months and looks great for an 05, you wouldn't know it has 145k.

I am interested in selling because I plan to take command of our new 2012 Passat TDI (we have three TDI's) from my wife...bribery with a New Beetle!
But, that is if I can get at least $12500 for the '05, I planned to start it at $13500 which is essentially $10k for the car and $3500 for the balance mod. Am I crazy? If this is out of the boat, i'll just continue to drive it as I don't need to trade out...just trying to make the wife happy!

What do you guys think? I'll post pics if it will help, but I will tell you you wont find many 05 Passat TDI's in better shape.

Thanks

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Several folks have recently tried to sell 04-05 Passats with and without the balance shaft maintenance upgrade and have had little to no success getting paid an extra $3500 for that work.

A fellow in Wisconsin just sold the cleanest 05 Passat TDI sedan I have seen, with balance shaft and all other maintenance recently done by Oilhammer. That car had around 100K on it with all the goodies. He got $9K for it.

What some people here are fearing is a torque converter and/or transmission failure at over 100K on these cars. Cost to remedy that can be $2 - $4K (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) And they don't want to pay up for the balance shaft work or a new timing belt.

Put the ad up with lots of pictures and see what happens, or put it on eBay.

John Nash

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDi
2005 VW passat GL TDI in MD

I just traded mine with 107K miles with no balance shaft upgrade.Just had timing belt ,water pump,trans filter and fluid.I only got $7,000.00 at a VW dealer on trade for a 2012 Passat.I paid $11,500 for it 3 months earlier.I bought the car without doing any research on that year passat TDi.I am still kicking myself.I was not willing to spend another $3,000.oo on the upgrade and could not live with a auto that could fail any moment.Hard lesson learned over that one.