looking for a vag com North/North East Pennsylvania

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
Im new to Tdi's and looking for someone with a vag com to run some tests on my 03 Jetta. Please let me know If you have a vag com and are located in PA or in New York or NJ close to the border of PA. North/North East PA. I currently am at home In Mansfield PA (northern PA) but will be going back to school in East Stroudsburg PA ( Middle Eastern PA) Thanks for any help.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
look up Mike (Hevster1 here on the forum), he's in Portland, NJ - just past the gap. I'm in stroudsburg and that's who i go to. Also there is Jay in Port Jervis TDIjetta99 he's just a little further away.

What's up with the ole girl?

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
Thanks so much. I sent Mike an email. I just got my jetta off ebay a few months ago, with a blow timing belt pretty cheap. So my father and I basically checked everything for damage and redid the timing belt. Id like to check the timing (its running fine so I think the timing is spot on) and also I have some pp520 nozzles Id like to put in and make sure there isn't alot of smoke. How much does he charge for a vagcom appt?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I'm just over the border if you can't get a hold of him.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Mike is very reasonable - give him a call and get yourself up on the schedule. He can give you all the $$ details, not my place to say what he'll charge. But IF everything is cool, you should be in and out of there pretty damn fast.

If i may, how did you and your father check to make sure everything was OK after the broken TB. With this motor a broken TB usually does not end up with any kind of good prognosis, at least not one where parts that weren't meant to come in contact with one another don't.

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
If you take US15 to I-180 to I-80, I'm on the way. Muncy exit off of I-180.

PM me with the timeframe if interested.

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
If i may, how did you and your father check to make sure everything was OK after the broken TB. With this motor a broken TB usually does not end up with any kind of good prognosis, at least not one where parts that weren't meant to come in contact with one another don't.
We took everything apart looking for damage and cleaning it. We took the head off and had it gridded out and had the machinest look for damage. That was our biggest concern that we were going to have to replace the head. But everything looked good. Ends up the kid who we bought the car from was going slow and close too home that when the motor mount broke, No damage was done to the head. The culprit was the motor mount bolt, which broke which shifted then engine and stripped off the whole belt. We got lucky and I got a cheap TDI that is really good shape. The biggest problem we had was getting parts. The kid took it to a few shops and the shops kept parts from the timing belt and turbo. Right now im just working out a few kinks and I think a vag com would help alot.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I hope you replaced the valve lifters. Any stress on these (from pistons kissing valves) and they will fail and drop a valve in short time. Valves can also be damaged easily. Very cheap insurance when rebuilding or if even if good running car that has over 300K miles.
Jeff

Last edited:

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'd listen to him ^, since you are interested in putting 520's my guess is you two will become aquaintences soon enough (see Rocketchip) and you will find out he knows his $hit!

rackaracka

Veteran Member
The biggest problem we had was getting parts.
I'm concerned about your statement above - Parts are very easy to get for your car. You need to be sure that you buy parts from a reputable source - as there are knock off vendors that sell parts on Ebay, or in their e-commerce stores - that will cause your car to fail.