2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Commodity Futures just increased 6 % on NY Harbor

Chart looks bullish

Might save $1 ~ $2 to fill up pronto

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NY Harbor up another 1.2 % today:p
These are weather-related, even though distillate consumption for heating is a pretty small percentage.

But the price for WTI Crude may be the highest since July or August 2015. Is diesel pushing crude oil higher, or is crude oil pushing diesel higher? Or both?

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Fuel

Costco $2.38 Diesel Avg around town KC MO $2.59
around town went up
And Costco is a TOP TIER

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
$2.89 -2.95 at most places in SE WI. I've seen over $3 in NW WI heading toward the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
Diesel prices seem to be higher where Kwik Trip has the most stations, and lowest where Holiday and Fleet Farm are strongest. SuperAmerica is rarely the highest, but it will match KT when they are the only two in an area.

GasBuddy shows that about half of all stations on the "highest prices" list are Kwik Trip stations.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Running from South Bend, IN to Charlotte, NC yesterday. I saw prices vary from a high of $3 to a low of $2.45. Noticed about a 4 mpg drop due to the cold weather. Going up to Indiana on Christmas Eve, I averaged around 39 with temps ranging in the mid 40 to mid 50s. Coming back yesterday, I averaged around 36 with temps from -11 to mid 20s.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
2.55 here in IndianLand, SC.
I do not understand why the prices have been up. The Pet Institute is saying it's due to Iran. Really?
I think BigOil truly HATES diesel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
According to US Today, all fuel is supposed to trend up in 2018. The average increase should be about 18 cents. No real explanation given in the article.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
2.55 here in IndianLand, SC.
I do not understand why the prices have been up. The Pet Institute is saying it's due to Iran. Really?
I think BigOil truly HATES diesel.
Hates? Not sure why :confused:

Diesel doesn't go into gasoline or the lighter distillates for industrial sales and science/biotech/agritech/pharma. Automotive/marine diesel sales provide a market for it, right? Does it increase the cost of heating oil to take auto diesel? If so, isn't that just an alternative place to make profit? Is there any political pressure to keep heating oil prices down? I don't think so:rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't assume that oil prices have anything to do with supply and demand. Perhaps in a distant way, but perhaps not.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I do not know if diesel presents problems or some type of additional cost related to throughput, tooling, or something else affecting the bottom line for refineries. My comment is just that auto/marine diesel is a market, so why would big oil hate diesel? It is essentially a by-product of gasoline production for US refineries. The only possible overlap I can think of is heating oil production (similar weight). Heavier stuff goes to lubricants, lighter stuff goes to other industrial products including jet fuel, solvents. All fuels that go into automobiles must be low sulfur now. So nothing special there, right? There are people on this forum that know about this. Is there anything especially difficult about automotive diesel production that isn't obvious? At first glance, the automotive diesel market is not trivial, and certainly must be a place to make money. So "big oil" should be fine with it, right? Just another market?? The shipping industry certainly depends on it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, let's run through this again. Heavy distillate fuels (Diesel, jet A, kerosene, home heating oil) and (light distillate fuel) gasoline are some of the many products produced from distilling crude oil. Diesel is not a by-product of gasoline production. Through put at the distiller is more determined by the source of the oil. Some lighter oils produce more gasoline while heavier oils produce more diesel and similar products. The distillation process is mainly boiling crude oil and collecting the by-products at different vapor temperatures that and then condensed into the different fractions.

From the distillation process, the less desirable or less profitable products are run through a cracker. The cracker does exactly what the names implies, it cracks or breaks the longer chain molecules either by heat or reaction, or both, into more desirable end products. If there is more profit in gasoline this month, the cracker can take diesel and break it into gasoline and other by-products. At the end of both processes, you get a certain fraction of gasoline, heavy distillates, of which the other fuels listed above are part of, other commercially necessary gasses (lightest fraction)and sludge (heaviest fraction). The sludge is used for asphalt roads, shingles, sound damping, etc.

Distillate fuels are traded and priced on a global basis, same as crude. Whenever there is a hiccup in crude supply, there is a surge in fuel prices. It's called price speculation. You have to make enough money off of what's in your tanks to be able to resupply. Of course, the pendulum swings the other way but much more slowly on the down swing.

Last edited:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
My 2017 Diesel vs Gasoline pricing

I always track my fuel info and at the same time I track the price of gasoline at the places I fill up with diesel.
Here's the comparison for 2017.
[/IMG]
As you can see, the price of diesel does not spike up and down like gas does.
Low and High for gasoline was 94.9 to 129.3 cents per litre
Low and High for diesel was 95.6 to 114.9 cents per litre
All prices in Canadian currency.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I did a similar chart, I'd only have about 9-11 fillups per year.
I only filled up 86 times this past year. It would have been more, but I was getting really excellent fuel economy.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Here in CA's capital RUG $2.99/D2 $3.59 (Moonbeam - our Jesuit governor - is not fond of oil burners).

Come to think of it, I really have no clue what he is fond of (Illegals excepted).

I went to HS and college here. It's sure not the same state....(most of us know this).

ez

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Here in CA's capital RUG $2.99/D2 $3.59 (Moonbeam - our Jesuit governor - is not fond of oil burners).

Come to think of it, I really have no clue what he is fond of (Illegals excepted).

I went to HS and college here. It's sure not the same state....(most of us know this).

ez
Agree - among many reasons I'm moving from the CPR to AZ. Unfortunately, one major drawback to AZ is the lack of Propel's DieselHPR. Diesel prices are still higher than RG in AZ: Diesel is $2.59 while RG is $2.11 but they beat current CA prices.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Agree - among many reasons I'm moving from the CPR to AZ. Unfortunately, one major drawback to AZ is the lack of Propel's DieselHPR. Diesel prices are still higher than RG in AZ: Diesel is $2.59 while RG is $2.11 but they beat current CA prices.
Geez, those prices are better than where I live on the coast in Alabama. Regular's $2.279-2.299 and diesel's $2.549-2.699. Not only do we get shafted in the summer (tourist gouging) but we get shafted in the winter by higher diesel prices and the "snowbird bump" in unleaded prices.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I was living in LA in '78-9 I remember going to dinner with my girlfriend (ultimately my wife) and Governor Jerry Brown came in the restaurant with Linda Ronstadt. He's both the youngest and the oldest Governor in CA. I guess some residents out there like him, since he's been elected multiple times.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
When I was living in LA in '78-9 I remember going to dinner with my girlfriend (ultimately my wife) and Governor Jerry Brown came in the restaurant with Linda Ronstadt. He's both the youngest and the oldest Governor in CA. I guess some residents out there like him, since he's been elected multiple times.
Even after he blatantly lies to them. The massive fuel tax hike he rammed through saying it would all be spent on roads; at least 30% of the taxes were earmarked for non-road purposes BEFORE he signed it. Since in CA the governor has the line item veto, it was in his power to veto all the non-road repair earmarks; he didn't.

Prices at the station nearest me here in Oroville, CA are $2.65 for RG, & $2.99 for diesel and that is the lowest in town.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Romad, RUG varies here (southeast Kentucky) from $2.159 to about $2.359. The cheapest RUG is along the Interstate (I-75 near me). However, Diesel Fuel is $2.999 (truckers pay $3.049) at all of the Truck Stops (Pilot and Love dominate). In adjacent counties, away from the Interstate, Diesel Fuel is 25 to 35 cents per gallon cheaper with RUG about $2.259 on average.

Well, I started driving VW diesels 38 years ago this month. Until about 2005, Diesel was always cheaper than RUG, even in the winter months!

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Prices at the station nearest me here in Oroville, CA are $2.65 for RG, & $2.99 for diesel and that is the lowest in town.
I'd be somewhat happy paying that price for diesel,here in rural N. Cal.
we have been and still are paying 3.66 for the last 3 months.

Last edited: