Petro Canada Diesel

02bluejetta

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Hi everyone,
New to the site, have owned my jetta for about 10 months now.
Just curious to see if other people are having the same problem I am.
I have bought diesel at Petro Canada about 10 times, all at different locations through out Ontario. Anytime That I do buy diesel at petro Canada my tdi runs like crap, loss of power, throws an egr exsessive flow or turbo over boost code, and goes into safe mode. and it does this until I have burnt up the whole tank of fuel. Whats wierd about it is that my car wont do this when I fill up with anyother brand of diesel. I know I shouldnt buy from petro then, but sometimes I have no choice, kind of one of those last fuel for x-hundred of kilometer situation.
Any thoughts on why my car hates petro canada diesel?
Thanks
2002 Jetta TDI (stock)

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Pertro Canada Diesel gave me problems when I first got my TDI, so, I stopped using them and now only use Shell V-Power Diesel. It may be a bit more expensive ($0.03 more per liter), but better fuel.

I know that Petro Canada has the rights to all the service stations on the 401, but most exits have a few stations that carry Diesel.

MrVermin

Last edited:

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
If you ever pass by Husky, give it a try. Very good fuel. Shell or Ultramar would be my second choices. I stay away from the petro can stations in my area as they're always more expensive than others, and always ran rough on cold starts. Have you tried any additives with a cetane booster to see if there is any difference?

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Never any troubles with any diesel product from any retailer. Just because you fill up at PetroCan or Shell or whoever doesn't mean that it necessarily comes from their refinery. Lots of times I've seen Shell product come from a PetroCan or Esso refinery when the shipment was delivered according to the paperwork.

02bluejetta

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I usually buy Esso diesel because its around the corner from my house, but the last month the owners have become lasy and not opening at 430 am like they say they do because thats when I leave for work and am forced to buy petro canada, the only other station with diesel close to me. I do buy v-power diesel when I do find a shell, hard to come by one with diesel in cottage country. I stay away from ultramar out my way too, always end up with a bunch of water in my tank with them. Ill give Husky a try one time when I find one!

EdisKrad

TDI
2003 Jetta
I always use esso and haven't had any problems yet, I've filled up at Petrocan a few times and seem to get worse milage but no major problems.

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
i use coop because it is the cheapest and oddly works the best. I never have bad luck with shell but the only grade coop has is about the same as shell v-power. here is the specs on coop diesel
https://www.coopconnection.ca/wps/wcm/connect
/e4599b804762334f9c859e1b51ab9103/PF-0310_EP3000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

just scroll to the bottom it says all the cetane rating and lube facts. Out east it may be hard to find if at all, but in saskatchewan every small town has at least one..
I would push my car before filling at petrocan.
filled one friggen time at a local p-can and had to do a filter change. now i go about 80,000kms on coop fuel and filter is a little brownish.
husky is also good fuel but coop usually gives me free coffee so they win in my books.

porkchop81

TDI
2001 black Jetta
out here in the prairies all the diesel is made at the coop upgrader in Regina and then sold to Esso Shell etc, I have personally noticed better fuel economy by almost 10 imp mpg per tank with Esso. Normally I use coop but i want to see if i can keep this mpg(up to 64mpg) or if it was an anomaly for a handful of fill ups. I am avg 55mpg with coop. my guess is Esso adds more or different additives to the diesel. also I drive all hwy all the time and do about 120kph with a Malone Tuning stage 1.5 and nozzels.

d-man

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta PD
I have had bad mpgs from many different retailers and I think its more to do with their tanks then the fuel. Just stick with the high volume stations and you should be alright.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I usually stick to stations that have been built recently. It means to me that their underground storage tanks are new too. Old stations may be sitting on old tanks that have rusted through and undergound water is getting through.

When I lived in Winnipeg, where I used to walk to work, some old fueling stations were being demolished and the underground tanks were being dug up because they were leaking. I took a whiff at some of the soil as it was coming up. It reeked of gasoline so much I think it would have burned if I put a match to it.

02bluejetta

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
At my old work we switched to getting fuel at a brand new station for the new boats we sold and then we started having engine issues. We finally found that the gas at the brand new station was full of water. I found a shell near my work and having been buy V-power diesel and my issue is no longer a problem and Im getting better fuel mileage.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Technically, Petro Canada has the highest cetane rating at 45 (someone correct me if I've got my number wrong)

I like running Shell V-Power diesel, but there are very few stations in my area and i have trouble stomaching the .10c premium that I had to pay over my regular cheap station.

In the end, I don't think fuel makes a big difference in Canada. We have a better quality diesel in the 1st place. The biggest thing I worry about is filling up at places that move a lot of diesel to avoid having any water issues. With almost 10 years in diesel and god knows how many kms, I've never had a fuel related issue or breakdown. (knock on hardwood floor)

bikerboyriley

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf 2 door
I've always ran petro can diesel with no issues. It's right at the foot of my work so it's convenient. They have one of the highest cetane ratings. That being said my best tank of fuel (econmy wise) was from husky.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Suncor(Sunoco) owns Petro canada, Husky.UPI, Mohawk Co-op

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I've only done one fillup so far and I went to Husky. It seems fine I guess. Husky, Esso, and Shell are the closest, with Petro not that far either.

I was originally concerned with picking a brand and figuring out which brand would be better, but I haven't heard of any particular brands killing engines. I'd assume that the amount of traffic at the particular station is more important than the actual brand.

One brand I can't see myself using, however, is Shell V-Power. I can't really justify paying 6c-10c more per litre or whatever it is for "premium" diesel. I'd use the regular diesel that they have, but I wouldn't pay more for the V-Power.

BryceShelton

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I use Ultramar as the PetroCan diesel stations I never see anyone at the pumps....low volume.

The Ultramar is at the truck stop on the 401, so I always see Cummins, VW, Audi etc diesel engines there refueling.

Also, Ultramar is always cheaper by about $0.04/L

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Husky Dieselmax is a premium grade fuel.
It may be, but they don't charge extra for it like V-Power. My sticking point is the markup they add to it. Husky just happens to be the closest to me. I'll go to other brands if they're closer to where I am at the time.

The real pain is that right at the corner down the street from my place there are 2 Petro Canada stations across the street from each other, but neither carries diesel :confused:

If one of them carried diesel, I'd go there regularly instead.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Since I bought my car last May, I've only filled up at Petro Canada. It's on my way out of town and I get $.07/L off, great fuel economy.
Last weekend I decided to fill up with Shell V-Power at 404 & Major Mac. Car seems to be down on power and worse fuel economy.

The Petro is a new station and I see quite a lot of traffic at the diesel pumps.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Technically, Petro Canada has the highest cetane rating at 45 (someone correct me if I've got my number wrong)

I like running Shell V-Power diesel, but there are very few stations in my area and i have trouble stomaching the .10c premium that I had to pay over my regular cheap station.

In the end, I don't think fuel makes a big difference in Canada. We have a better quality diesel in the 1st place. The biggest thing I worry about is filling up at places that move a lot of diesel to avoid having any water issues. With almost 10 years in diesel and god knows how many kms, I've never had a fuel related issue or breakdown. (knock on hardwood floor)
Exactly, there's a thread on this forum somewhere that shows Petro Canada has one of the highest cetane numbers in Canada.

Btw I stopped buying v-power when I read this on Wikipedia:

Although the former is true for the European market, Shell also markets a different "premium" diesel in Canada, which they state "Is specially formulated for year-round Canadian weather conditions, with a cetane improver, a de-icer and a corrosion inhibitor."[6] but Shell also states that V-Power diesel will typically have an increased cetane rating of 1 to 2 points over standard diesel, which meets Transport Canada's minimum mandated rating of 40.[7] It also contains no GTL components at all.
Not worth the extra money. Better off just buying the cheapest diesel and adding your own additive.

Also, I'm willing to bet the OP has problems with his car that are not diesel related.

Last edited: