OK whats better?hwy or non-hwy diesel and as for oil what is the best thing for tdi

iamasaint

ok i must ask is hwy diesel and non-hwy diesel the same thing and should i use it in the 2001 golf tdi ?and can any one tell me what the best oil for the car amsoil or delvac 1 5-40?

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
Re: OK whats better?hwy or non-hwy diesel and as for oil what is the best thing for tdi

Hiway Diesel is lower sulphur and is not dyed red, i.e. road tax has been paid. Check the fuel and lubes section for your oil question. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Re: OK whats better?hwy or non-hwy diesel and as for oil what is the best thing for tdi

Hiway diesel is taxed non-highway is not. Some off-road diesel contains extremely high levels of sulphur that require special oils to keep acidity under control be careful if your considering trying to use this stuff.

As far as what oil is best, millions of diesels can't be wrong, Delvac 1 5w40 full synthetic is all that is run in my families 3 TDI's. Not to mention Delvac 1 does not have to "imply" that is "may meet" but it actually does. Delvac 1 exceeds the API CH-4, ACEA B4 valve train wear tests, extended drain criteria and fully complies with the VW warranty specifications unlike "some" of the oils

If your simply looking for the best oil look no further than the Delvac 1. There is no doubt the oil works as advertised exceeding even my expectaions.

DB

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI

Petro-Canada's Duron Synthetic 5-W-40 is every bit as good as Delvac-1 at 1/3 the price.

It is in your best interest to see if it is available in your local area.

henry

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

I have family in BC and go up there frequently. Where's a good place to get Duron? PetroCan dealer? Canadian Tire?

Eric64

Petro CAnada commercial fueling or if You lucky , you are going to find one on regular gas station. Price $ 20-22 for 4 l.jug

BoraTdi

Veteran Member

There is an Amoco in my area that sells "high-sulfur" and "low-sulfur" diesel, the difference being 30 cents in price. It's the only pump I have seen labeled as such. But in my opinion I wouldnt chance it. Highway diesel around here is mostly crud, so you can imagine what the non-highway stuff is like.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d

It should also be noted (besides the non-highway being REAL crap) that using non-highway in a highway vehicle is highly illegal, and while it is unlikely you'd ever get caught, if you were, I hear the fines are pretty hefty.