Rough idle, white smoke, CEL GPL. Help?

Why TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta ahu 5 speed 214k
I just bought a 98 Jetta 5spd 214,000 miles. I got it for $700 because the interior was totally disassembled when the previous owner bought it and he never got the gumption to reassemble it so it sat for a year in his driveway. Supposedly the old man he bought it from had the engine rebuilt about 20k miles ago but no proof of that so idk. The car has CEL with code p0322. Also flashing GPL for GP cuircut heater? I drained the fuel tank, changed the fuel filter and did a diesel purge. The car starts up with no problem at all but smokes fairly heavy (whiteish and smells like diesel) after it idles a minute or two the smoke clears unless revved above 2k. Has a fairly rough idle that did improve after Diesel purge but still there. I'm new to wrenching in any real way so I'm looking for help on what to try next. I cracked the injectors while it was running and they all sprayed a strong pattern of fuel. My dad had a 2003 tdi that seemed like it had much more get up and go, idk if that matters? I am going to change the oil tomorrow, could that cause any of this with oil that is who knows how old? Also what is a good winter rating for oil in northern Indiana for this engine? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Last edited: