Buy Back Cars on the Move

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My woodworking shop is in an industrial area near a big Roll-on-roll-off marine terminal with storage lots for automobile and truck shipments. I recently noticed that the lots full of the VWs were emptying out. I asked one of the guards, but he had no idea where the cars were going.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The wrecking yard across the parking lot from my workplace continues to get them by the truckload to crush. I have also seen more on the lots. It's probably a combination of both factors has hit a tipping point.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
The wrecking yard across the parking lot from my workplace continues to get them by the truckload to crush. I have also seen more on the lots. It's probably a combination of both factors has hit a tipping point.

Yes, there are more on dealers' lots. The dealers are buying these cars from VWOA auctions, thousands of them, and with the big supply, prices are coming down. You can get a very clean Gen 1 with low miles at a very reasonable price. Ask me how I know.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Here's a shot from earlier today. Two weeks ago, the lot was full...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's possible that rather than gradually picking cars out from all of the storage lots evenly/randomly, they are going from one lot to the next and emptying each one out completely in sequence. Empty lot means they don't have to pay for it any more.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
It is an Amports lot. One of several full of VWs very near one of the marine terminals here in Baltimore. Makes me wonder if VW is shipping them elsewhere.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
It is an Amports lot. One of several full of VWs very near one of the marine terminals here in Baltimore. Makes me wonder if VW is shipping them elsewhere.
Elsewhere, as in ?

All I know is that I'm suddenly seeing dealers with a bunch of Gen 1 TDIs for sale.

Also, several times in the last few months I've seen car carrier trailers on the interstate loaded up with TDIs.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Elsewhere, as in ?

All I know is that I'm suddenly seeing dealers with a bunch of Gen 1 TDIs for sale.

Also, several times in the last few months I've seen car carrier trailers on the interstate loaded up with TDIs.
Who knows where? Just thinking out loud because of the proximity to the RORO terminal and how fast the cars are disappearing. I've not seen any on car carriers.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW has an auction site were dealers can bid on and purchase cars from storage lots. New cars are put up daily. And dealers are buying them from all over the country and having them trucked in, they don't just pull from local lots. That's where some of them are going.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
VW has an auction site were dealers can bid on and purchase cars from storage lots. New cars are put up daily. And dealers are buying them from all over the country and having them trucked in, they don't just pull from local lots. That's where some of them are going.

That's exactly correct, and exactly what dealers have been telling me. And with many people waiting to do the BB in the final two months, there are a flood of these getting bought up at auction and winding up in dealer lots. In the last year, I have never seen this many TDIs available for sale, and prices are down due to the large supply.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Where I live the Ford dealer, the Mitsu guy and others are running ads for there huge inventory of TDIs. Strange times.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Where I live the Ford dealer, the Mitsu guy and others are running ads for there huge inventory of TDIs. Strange times.

Yep, it's not just VW dealers. I've seen many TDIs for sale recently at non-VW dealers, mostly Gen 1's.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
And still no fix for the 2012-14 manual transmission passats. Really curious what's gonna happen to those cars.
For the owners who chose to do nothing (and get nothing - no compensation without a fix) - Nothing. Still on the road.

For the ones that were bought back - with no fix, at this point, VW has no choice but to scrap them.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The ones people keep: nothing. The ones they buy back: crushed. Probably few enough of them that Volkswagen doesn't want to keep spending money to develop a fix.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
The deadlines are all in the past at this point. Only the 3.0s are still being bought back.
2.0L buyback deadline is December 30, 2018 (although filling deadlines etc. are all in the past - except for CRC Appeals, which is January 13, 2019).

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That was what I meant, though I did not say it clearly. Either you are already scheduled for a buyback or it's too late.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
I just bought an emissions-modified, 25k miles, 2014 sportwagen TDI from a dealer in Alexandria, VA which has several on its lot. VWoA offered great extended emissions warranty.
ytjetta
Elsewhere, as in ?

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
With no fix for the manual Passat, how can it pass emissions testing, if it's still cheating?

"Just let them keep cheating"

Fabulous solution.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
By "emissions testing" if you are referring to local periodic emission testing of the type necessary to renew your license plate sticker and the like, those tests pretty much only rely on the ECU not having any stored fault codes. These cars were designed to not display fault codes for high emissions even though perhaps they should have :) You will be fine as long as your "check engine" warning lamp is not on. In other words - for the end user - who was not at fault for creating this situation! - business as usual.

With (I believe) 5 exceptions, as part of the deal for accepting compensation $ from VW, US states agreed to allow these cars to continue to be on the road regardless of whether they had a "fix" or not, and that means passing or failing standard local OBD-based diagnostic tests as per standard procedure, even though the cars are emitting more than they should (which, once again, isn't the end user's fault).

I don't know what's going to happen if you are in one of the 5 states that didn't accept compensation $ from VW.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't fix the problem.

Don't get the cars off the road.

Let them keep cheating

Trust the fradulent ECU.

Move along.

Nothing to see here.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I was back down at the shop today and saw 4 car carriers loaded up with TDIs. Took a detour through the port to avoid a train crossing traffic back up and saw two more big lots full of TDIs that I hadn't seen before. Probably two or three thousand cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Owner of our local dealer recently told me that VW still has over 100K cars to sell.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
For the ones that were bought back - with no fix, at this point, VW has no choice but to scrap them.
Yup, sold my 2014 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual back to VW in Jan of 2018. VW sold it to a scrap yard in the Chicago area and it was crushed in June of 2018.

This whole dieselgate thing has been a huge waste of time and money.

:rolleyes: