www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 20th, 2020, 15:33   #1
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg
Default ALH @ 50 Degrees with stock pan.

Has anyone done this? i know the pickup would need to be modified to compensate. Would this put the crank in the splash zone?
Old May 20th, 2020, 18:56   #2
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

my insight is at 60 deg, even with the pan kicked out way far like the vanagon's one it still only barely holds 4qt from a dry engine before it starts getting too close to the crank for comfort
I do have yet to drive it enough to get a feel for oil consumption yet though, so I may well be able to get away with increasing the fill level further.

The biggest thing I noticed that just made me feel real dumb is that it looks like the injection pump sticks up just as high as the cam pulley would have at the stock 15 degree angle, also the oil filter housing ends up poking up very high as well.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:30   #3
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
my insight is at 60 deg, even with the pan kicked out way far like the vanagon's one it still only barely holds 4qt from a dry engine before it starts getting too close to the crank for comfort
I do have yet to drive it enough to get a feel for oil consumption yet though, so I may well be able to get away with increasing the fill level further.

The biggest thing I noticed that just made me feel real dumb is that it looks like the injection pump sticks up just as high as the cam pulley would have at the stock 15 degree angle, also the oil filter housing ends up poking up very high as well.
so you have this setup with stock pan in your 2wd van? I'm assumed there might be clearance issues between the filter housing and the deck lid.
Old May 21st, 2020, 05:22   #4
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
so you have this setup with stock pan in your 2wd van? I'm assumed there might be clearance issues between the filter housing and the deck lid.
nonono, honda insight and modified pan, just that if I thought I could get away with not welding aluminum I would have. Every time I get the TIG torch out I end up shouting incomprehensible things.

the filter housing is relatively easy to chop the cartridge filter housing off, block off, then use parts from a 2.0 gas in order to utilize a cannister filter beneath the oil cooler. My golf is set up that way, only issue is needing to bend the AC suction line
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:08   #5
jimbote

Quote:
nonono, honda insight and modified pan, just that if I thought I could get away with not welding aluminum I would have. Every time I get the TIG torch out I end up shouting incomprehensible things.
the filter housing is relatively easy to chop the cartridge filter housing off, block off, then use parts from a 2.0 gas in order to utilize a cannister filter beneath the oil cooler. My golf is set up that way, only issue is needing to bend the AC suction line
ok, are you running the alh at an extreme angle in the insight?
Old May 21st, 2020, 15:03   #6
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
ok, are you running the alh at an extreme angle in the insight?
see
Quote:
I'll just stop trying to be helpful now. Sorry.
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:42   #7
jimbote

Quote:
see
I'll just stop trying to be helpful now. Sorry.
sorry man, post a bit confusing...just trying to understand your setup... you are running an alh @60 degrees in a honda insight?
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:45   #8
[486]
Veteran Member

indeed, used to have a build thread but all the pictures died along with tinypic
I'll try and fix it up somewhat, gimmie a few hours to figure it out

ETA: there we go, insight swap link in my sig, skip right to the bottom for the relevant pics of mounting angle and pan

Last edited by [486]; May 21st, 2020 at 16:59.
Old May 24th, 2020, 21:04   #9
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

It's been done yes. I even found a company that offered an oil pan for about $800 at one point! I've been planning a 2.0BHW at 50 degrees, have most of the parts but haven't had a chance to start the project.
Old May 25th, 2020, 02:21   #10
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
It's been done yes. I even found a company that offered an oil pan for about $800 at one point! I've been planning a 2.0BHW at 50 degrees, have most of the parts but haven't had a chance to start the project.
is that the FAS pan? BHW would be sweet in a vanagon...is this 2wd?
Old May 25th, 2020, 20:24   #11
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

2WD Whitestar. I've got a euro 5 speed transmission for it.
Old June 1st, 2020, 09:04   #12
Zeitgeist
Veteran Member

Have you considered just installing at the stock 15 degree angle? My ALH install is configured that way, and it fits under the lid.
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 15:58   #13
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Have you considered just installing at the stock 15 degree angle? My ALH install is configured that way, and it fits under the lid.
details? is this a 2wd? if so, is the engine lowered to syncro height? what mounts are you using? what adapter plate? thanks.
Old June 1st, 2020, 17:00   #14
Zeitgeist
Veteran Member

Hi, this a 2WD with the entire drivetrain lowered to Syncro height. I raised the suspension so that the ground clearance is just a tad below 10". I used a lot of Passat 1.8t parts, like oilpan, driver side engine mount arm and engine mounts. This swap was done on the cheap, so I work traded for the Kennedy adapter kit and the DK (aircooled) 4.57 R&P trans. It's a weird install, since most of the bits n' pieces are custom made, but it's kinda cool.

Here's a shot of the rear showing the ground clearance.

Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 18:33   #15
jimbote

i dig it...looks like you used the stock wbx crossbar but lowered using brackets. And custom fabbed brackets to house the bhw mounts? I'm assuming the stock intake interfered with the lid? how much did it protrude above plane? ...i'm probably going to k.i.s.s. with this 82' 2wd diesel and do a 50* AHU with all the stock bits. I do like your approach, and may follow suit with my 87 syncro.