www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 6th, 2019, 09:53   #1
Roost

TDI(s): 1.9 alh
Default 1.9 ALH In a boat

Hello new to the tdi world.

My plan is to use a 1.9 Alh for a 18ft Glass boat with a merc alpha leg. My concerns is reliable power. The boat came with a 120hp 4cylinder however I have a 160hp inline six in it currently. I understand you can get more power out of these but how is the egts under constant load? With the right turbo do you think I would be able to get a cool 160hp? How robust are these engines?

Thanks, Roost
Roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 11:32   #2
jmodge
Veteran Member

It’s been done, I think someone in Wisconsin specializes in adapters and such. FYI B.O.A.T. Means Bring Out Another Thousand
Old March 6th, 2019, 15:43   #3
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Id worry about the strength of an alpha 1 with diesel vibes at planing speed rpms. Luckily they are a dime a dozen and sei offers a 2 yr no hassel warranty on their alpha one aftermarket legs. Grenade it, ship it back and get a new one shipped back.

You're at 18 ft so it might be ok.

Losing hp in a boat is not always a good thing if you want to go fast. You can easily hit 160hp if you go with a BHW from an 04/05 passat and the mounting brackets would be better mount in a boat.

But the 1.9 may fit your needs and budget fine.

I have a cabin boat i want to put a BHW on but im still working my head around keeping the turbo and manifold cool in an engine bay. With your little boat i wouldn't worry about egts if you're stock turbo and injection system.
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:23   #4
Roost

Strength may be a issue indeed. If I could some how limit the torque down low with either a larger exhaust housing or fueling. I have no idea whats available with tuning tdi's. I'm not really looking for a crazy hole shot, more to stretch it's legs a bit once on a plane.

Is the BHW some form of common rail engine? I know common rails can also be quieter, what is appealing.

I will be making my own water jacketed manifold most likely and blanketing the turbo housing. Worst case a electric radiator fan will be used.
Old March 7th, 2019, 13:27   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Volkswagen already has a whole marine engine division. You may peak around and look to see what bits they use before spending a bunch of time reinventing something that already exists.

Last edited by oilhammer; March 7th, 2019 at 13:51.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 15:23   #6
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Volkswagen already has a whole marine engine division. You may peak around and look to see what bits they use before spending a bunch of time reinventing something that already exists.
While I would agree with this concept, have you seen the cost ? Top shelf stuff no doubt but better be sitting down when you price shop.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 15:36   #7
Roost

The boat isn't worth it, neither do I have that kind of money. I don't mind a project.
Old March 7th, 2019, 16:56   #8
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Another member on here made a water jacket manifold. It does keep engine bay temps down but kills the turbo. You need heat to spool that turbo. Unless you want to play with the injection system and play r&d with the turbo size it will be easier to find a way to bring in and pump out fresh air.

Oem vw marine stuff is stupid expensive. If anyone could afford that the people posting these builds would be on the hullthruth forum showing off their factory diesel inboard donzi or shamrock or.simiar boat, not on here asking questions.

The weight and power of these tdi engines seem perfect.

The 1st boat i bought to do this conversion had an alpha i feared would not last. It was 26 ft. I also found it had q galvanized tank so no diesel in that boat.

I found a 2nd boat with a Volvo 290. The Volvo penta 290 came being anything from a 4cyl to a big block Chevy to a diesel and also came duo prop so proper gearing can be had and the duo prop will help with planning time as well as top speed.

The alpha one did come matched to a 454 on some boats but they were known to be brittle.

You may be ok but its a weak point. You dont have v8 hp but you'll have near v8 torque.

The pd bhw can is factory 130ish hp. 170hp with a tune. No engine beefing or mods needed aside from balance shaft delete.
Old March 7th, 2019, 17:03   #9
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Keep in mind most factory diesel boats are true inboards, not the inboard/outboard like your alpha/bravo/volvo penta and omc. They have transmissions that provide better gearing and better prop selection. They are also usually slow displacement keeled boats. There are lines of ib/ob stern leg set ups for boats but we're taking 20k up for these set ups and many are not known for reliability, especially newer ones.
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:20   #10
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
While I would agree with this concept, have you seen the cost ? Top shelf stuff no doubt but better be sitting down when you price shop.

I have no doubt, however you can sometimes find some pieces used that can make the use of your car engine into a boat go much easier. I was able to find a few bits and pieces through a couple different places. We had a customer buy a whole used, blown up (from neglect) Pathfinder engine which was an old version marine engine by a different company. He got it cheap, less than $1k shipped to the shop, and we stripped it down and put an AAZ 1.9L in its place (the original engine was a 1.6L). But all the stuff, the mounts, the brackets, the cooling system, etc. all bolted right up.

There is zero chance that for $1k someone could have built all the parts we got, which included the water cooling system's water jacketed exhaust manifold, the two stage pump and thermostat, the giant oil pan with scavenge pump, remote mounted twin filters, etc. All genuine VAG parts that fit perfectly. The only issue we ran into was the vacuum pump "hole" in the block of the original engine was smaller, and it used the same drive gear as the old Rabbits that had no power brakes. But the AAZ has a larger hole, and the old non-vacuum pump drive gear would not work. We did have to machine a spacer sleeve to make that work, because I could not just leave the AAZ's vacuum pump in place in the block to drive the oil pump because the marine cooling system ran a pipe right over that spot and it would have been too much work to change all that.

If nothing else, you can at least look to see how it is arranged. Boat parts are always priced stupid high, like dirt bike and ATV parts. Because they know these are generally a frivolity and people will pay for it.
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:28   #11
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Were those pathfinders non turbo? I looked into getting a manifold from a European scrap yard but could not get info on it being na or turbo.

Blaast turbo claims to have a water jacketed cooled turbo that would work well om on a 2.0 diesel but i wood then need to be able to tune myself to get the injection system dialed in. I know of no local diesel tuners although i suspect a long weekend on a lake getting paid might tempt one to travel if enough cash is provided.
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:36   #12
jmodge
Veteran Member

A word on Volvo or omc outdrives if you aren’t aware, expensive and complicated. Water pump is located in the upper drive unit. Difficult to get, 2x plus on costs for 1/2 a unit compared to mercruiser. Nice unit though I have on in an 18’ Kayot, affectionately referred to as Old Moldy. As noted by Picklerick, different gearing exists, higher for v8’s lower for 4’s. His point about outboard drives is a good one also. Which won’t apply to your glass boat though. I always thought TDI would make an excellent boat motor
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:39   #13
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I always thought TDI would make an excellent boat motor
So does Mercury, which is why they use VAG diesels on all their smaller power units:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ercury-diesel/

The bigger units are Cummins. But the I4, V6, and V8 are all VAG TDIs.
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:43   #14
jmodge
Veteran Member

Help IDing this hose fitting

Couldn’t figure out how to provide this link with my phone, but if you google it along with TDIclub it should come up. I believe there are some links to builds in there also
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:51   #15
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
So does Mercury, which is why they use VAG diesels on all their smaller power units:
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ercury-diesel/
The bigger units are Cummins. But the I4, V6, and V8 are all VAG TDIs.
Sweet! I once found a europian spreadsheet detailing all the applications that used VW engines and I was blown away. Very obvious how they could afford their diesel gate fines, I think collectibility paid a big role there.