www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 10th, 2017, 17:40   #181
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 2x that of my TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
yeah, i'm captain obvious... i studied the diagram and posted a response before i read moto's reply
Nah man, you got it right.. Shouldn't be any need for + or - (aside from having them hooked up) or a Dakota digital unit. The data is traveling down the third line... + and - just power the sensor.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

"Those willing to sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 18:19   #182
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Yea the white/orange puts out a non-square voltage that the VW VSS dosent like and it pegs my speedo with just a key on.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 18:59   #183
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
Yea the white/orange puts out a non-square voltage that the VW VSS dosent like and it pegs my speedo with just a key on.
what speedo are you using ?
Old August 10th, 2017, 19:13   #184
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Ok I havent given up on this yet. The fact that Reddoks setup works has me thinking something is missing from mine especially since I just confirmed the dakota puts out a 8000ppm signal. If thats true it lines up with what the VW VSS wants to see.

see here http://www.rostra.com/support/vss-search.php

Can the brake switch signals be messed up? Can that cause the ECU to not read the VSS signal?

Anyone want to put there ride up on jack stands in gear engage the brake switch just enough to see if the VSS signal cuts out?
Old August 10th, 2017, 19:14   #185
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
what speedo are you using ?
Stock dodge gauges
Old August 10th, 2017, 19:17   #186
jimbote

Quote:
Stock dodge gauges
so why is the stock vss signal making the stock speedo go wack ?
Old August 10th, 2017, 19:21   #187
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
so why is the stock vss signal making the stock speedo go wack ?
Thats what I want to know. Maby pin 20/121 is messed up inside my ECU? Maby the dodge is seeing a ground. I will put a diode inline and see if that helps.
Old August 10th, 2017, 22:36   #188
jimbote

does the stock dodge speedo usually get it's signal from a vss or via can ? pin 20 on the ecm is only for vss input ... your speedo will have to get it's signal elsewhere... try the white/orange directly to pin 20 to see if speed registers in vcds and forget about the speedo for now
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:29   #189
timmyc4

Fuel Economy: 51.3 Best @ 65mph/300mi trip
Smile Health - Live life

I used to be into doing all this B.S.
I got Terminal Cancer, am almost beating it and have LEARNED that this is a WASTE of time!
Life is short when you realize that this is all junk and the time you stick into it.
Buy yourself a nice 4x4 Manual Diesel Ford or Dodge or Chev for that matter with low miles or rebuilt. Nope you won't get the fuel economy, but on the other hand, you'll have reliability, durability and a GREAT puller, which you won't get with a pip squeak TDI in a vehicle it was NEVER desined for. I've had many TDI's... GREAT for what they were DESIGNED FOR! Buy something off the shelf so you can work on it or something some FOOL aready wasted his time doing!

Forget about this CUSTOM waste of time headaches and go have fun with your family. Spend your time fishing, playing with them. This is a waste of your valuable life.

You only have a limited time here, don't waste it on chasing the wind.
timmyc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 08:24   #190
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 2x that of my TJ

Quote:
does the stock dodge speedo usually get it's signal from a vss or via can ? pin 20 on the ecm is only for vss input ... your speedo will have to get it's signal elsewhere... try the white/orange directly to pin 20 to see if speed registers in vcds and forget about the speedo for now
The Dodge (and Jeep) stuff feeds the cluster via the CAN bus so the vss should output to the PCM which will then drive the cluster.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

"Those willing to sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:07   #191
Reddok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 40.8 avg, 47.1 best. Jeep: 30 avg.

Quote:
Can the brake switch signals be messed up? Can that cause the ECU to not read the VSS signal?

I believe there are two switches for the brake light and you need both of them connected for the cruise to work. Can't really remember - it's been so long now. Not sure that it would kill the VSS input though.
2002 Jeep Liberty TDI Project: 2002 ALH, 1749VA, NSG-370 6-spd, PP764's on T4's, 11mm pump, PD150 intake, custom tune, Cummins lift pump, 2.8 CRD intercooler, 2.5" DP/exhaust with Magnaflow cat and Walker Quietflow muffler.
Reddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:27   #192
Reddok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 40.8 avg, 47.1 best. Jeep: 30 avg.

Just re-read my own swap "The cruise control also works. With no cluster. The Jeep BCM puts out a conditioned 5v square wave to the ECU for cruise speed. The Jetta cluster puts out this same signal. So connecting the Jeep BCM to the Jetta ECU got me a valid speed reading. "

So I did not use the signal from the diff speed sensor, I must have found an output from the Jeeps body control module (near the fuse block) that had the proper signal.
2002 Jeep Liberty TDI Project: 2002 ALH, 1749VA, NSG-370 6-spd, PP764's on T4's, 11mm pump, PD150 intake, custom tune, Cummins lift pump, 2.8 CRD intercooler, 2.5" DP/exhaust with Magnaflow cat and Walker Quietflow muffler.
Reddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:24   #193
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyc4 View Post
I got Terminal Cancer, am almost beating it and have LEARNED that this is a WASTE of time!
Life is short when you realize that this is all junk and the time you stick into it.
Buy yourself a nice 4x4 Manual Diesel Ford or Dodge or Chev for that matter with low miles or rebuilt. Nope you won't get the fuel economy, but on the other hand, you'll have reliability, durability and a GREAT puller, which you won't get with a pip squeak TDI in a vehicle it was NEVER desined for. I've had many TDI's... GREAT for what they were DESIGNED FOR! Buy something off the shelf so you can work on it or something some FOOL aready wasted his time doing!

Forget about this CUSTOM waste of time headaches and go have fun with your family. Spend your time fishing, playing with them. This is a waste of your valuable life.

Lot's of wisdom in the above. My better half keeps telling me just go buy a new car and have fun. But I tell her I do like puttering with this car crap. The kids are very much into their own stuff. Still, a whole lot of wisdom in the above post.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:31   #194
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddok View Post
I believe there are two switches for the brake light and you need both of them connected for the cruise to work. Can't really remember - it's been so long now. Not sure that it would kill the VSS input though.
it doesn't interrupt the vss signal
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:53   #195
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyc4 View Post

Some people enjoy wrenching and building something they can be proud of. You have a right to your opinion, but realize where you are posting this.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote