www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 24th, 2016, 17:52   #16
HoneyBadger

Fuel Economy: Always over 40

Rockwell: The oil pan clears, it's the bolt for the oil drain pan that sits in the middle of the crossmember. I'll just use an oil extractor when I need to change my oil. Otherwise I'll get a steel oil pan and put an accessible drain plug in.

evguy: I saw you had those after I bought the one from an auto, otherwise that would have been much easier.

Ronnie: I did decide to move the trans forward a few inches. I'm going to put up a post of this weeks progress soon.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 18:44   #17
HoneyBadger

Default Transmission mounted. Engine in place

The engine and transmission are now mated together, and the transmission mount has been relocated forward. I can't say for sure how much more though as I haven't gone through and actually measured it yet. One hole was moved forward 2 inches and the other set of holes about an inch. The transmission cross member was also slotted a bit more. With all of that, there isn't much certainty of how far forward the transmission ended up being moved.
I also had to replace the transmission mount, because while I was down there I noticed that it was broken. This caused me to have to drill a second hole because the broken mount let the transmission move more forward than it should have been able to do. But now I have a new mount installed and the engine/trans are sitting where I .

The tunnel had to be trimmed slightly as well. Didn't have enough time this weekend to clean it up, so another weekend it will have to be. This is also not where the transmission ended up. I'll post updated pictures when I get it all done. But a bent shift knob will certainly be necessary.

The bolt head looks close to the mount, because it is. But the engine is not quite in its final resting spot. It's going to be a tight fit, but it'll fit.

The motor brackets I got from tdconversions weren't going to work for my generation ranger, so I cut the tabs off to start over with the plates that mount to the engine. The driver's side mount is hard to see, but it's there.
I also decided to use the stock ranger motor mounts as well as they fit nicely and it would have required quite a bit of fab to get the ones supplied from tdconversions to work. It would appear that the frame rails were changed quite a bit between the gen 3 and gen 4 rangers. Which makes sense as they switched from TTB to A-arms at this time also.

With some cardboard, plates are drawn out oversized and will be trimmed to fit.

And that's where the work this weekend stopped.
I'm also looking to try and find a non a/c accessory bracket if anyone has one. I want to see if it'll fit before I have to start brainstorming ways to reroute the accessory belt.
From what I can find online, they were only put on cars that went to Canada and Mexico. But if anyone knows where I might be able to get one from, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:38   #18
aadonline

The non A/C brackets will have the PS pump where the A/C compressor is. I don't think that will work for your setup.
aadonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 21:39   #19
HoneyBadger

aadonline, I'm aware of how it's set up. The reason I think it may work it because the power steering pump is smaller than the A/C compressor, and it looks tucked up closer to the engine than the A/C compressor is. The pulley may stick out in front of the steering box enough that it'll work.

I bought one on ebay yesterday and should have it in a week or two. Hopefully it'll work and I won't have to fab one up, but if not I figure there are people in the US looking for them that I should be able to resell it if it doesn't fit.

This is not something I know to be a guaranteed fit, more like a last ditch effort to avoid the extra work to modify the current accessory bracket.

I appreciate the warning though. I fully welcome everyone's questions and feedback.
Old November 12th, 2016, 20:24   #20
HoneyBadger

Well I've been pretty bad at posting updates these last few weeks. But I've gotten quite a bit done.
Engine Mounts are welded up, I'll put a rib on them later when I pull the engine out to cut a clearance hole for the starter.

Radiator is mounted in, the passenger side mounts get removed, and then the radiator slides out of the driver side mounts. I used some existing ribs in the sheet metal to attach the radiator mounts. And could only make it so I would have access to one side of mounts.

I'm almost done with trimming down the cabin air box. It hit the EGR system so it had to be modified. After some cardboard templates I felt confident in my model to cut some steel.

And on the fourth try I came out with a piece that fit exactly how I wanted.

Waiting on the paint to dry and I'll be able to assemble it. Hopefully tomorrow, or next weekend.
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:14   #21
aadonline

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5589/22769547508_88f25b3455_b.jpg[/img][/url]
Waiting on the paint to dry and I'll be able to assemble it. Hopefully tomorrow, or next weekend.[/QUOTE]

HoneyBadger, How did you remove the air box. Is there a 4th bolt at the bottom or another bolt behind the dash. Seems like something is catching after removing the 3 nuts that are visible.
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:16   #22
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Look inside in the passenger foot well on the the fire wall. There should be a nut there.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 17:27   #23
HoneyBadger

Correct. There is a stud on the box that pokes into the passenger compartment. I grabbed you a picture to help find it.
Old November 13th, 2016, 18:59   #24
aadonline

I found it ! Thank you very much.
Old November 13th, 2016, 19:05   #25
aadonline

Honeybadger, Did you get your non A/C bracket ? Did it work out for you ???
Old November 13th, 2016, 21:38   #26
HoneyBadger

I got the bracket, but didn't have a chance this weekend to try it. So it'll have to be next weekend.
Old November 20th, 2016, 19:19   #27
HoneyBadger

No luck with the non-a/c bracket. The bracket still hit the box. So now on to plan C. Using the USA bracket, cut off the A/C compressor mount, move the idler pulley, and create a new tensioner. I started working on this over weekend, More pictures of that to come.

Cabin air box just needs some RTV around the seams and it's done. Hoping to get that done during the week, and I'll post up some pictures when it's done.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 22:20   #28
JohnnyCanuck.Comox

That's going to turn some heads when you go to fill it up at the diesel pumps, nice work,
JohnnyCanuck.Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 18:10   #29
HoneyBadger

Finished the cabin air box, it leaves a lot more space than was there before. Overall pretty happy with how it turned out.

Better shot of how much space I now have. The box was contacting the engine before I shaved it down.

I can make more of these if anyone is interested. Not sure if this is something other people really need or if they changed the shape of it after 97.

Also working on my new belt routing. After cutting off the boss that the A/C pump hung from, I had room to fit the alternator and ps pump on the bracket. Built a little piece to space out the idler pulley. Now to create a tensioner. My plan is to mount it above the ps pump and have it rotate to the other side of the pulley. Should turn out pretty clean I think.

Pulley Routing by erikb10, on Flickr
Old December 6th, 2016, 18:22   #30
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

I did something similar with the pulley,used the two alternator bolt holes with 100mm bolts and two
14mm spacers,and a straight bracket with oblonged holes.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote