www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 19th, 2014, 18:33   #1
bms707

Fuel Economy: 32-36 mpg city/hwy(yota), Jetta (TBD)
Default ALH TDI 1984 Toyota 4x4, Oh Yeah!

Hello all! Just joined the forums, the name's Ben. Anyways i got my 1984 toyota 4x4 pickup that I've had for many years now, and it's finally time to say goodbye to the ol'reliable 22r gasser. She's served me well hauling firewood and my tools around, but its time to get a REAL truck engine under that 30 year old Japanese hood, one without spark plugs!

Here she is:

As you can see I'm also currently painting the frame and building a flatbed, or i may replace it with a factory bed if i can find one in good enough condition.. P.S. this is a longbed version of the truck (longer wheelbase) And for anyone wondering those are 35x13.50r15 toyo m/t's on 15x10 alloys and the rear end is a v6 pumpkin with a 4.88 ratio. Truck has a 4inch suspension lift with hi-steer.

And the trusty little 22r that's now up for sale (PM me if interested, not sure how many toyota guys are on this forum)

And the donor patient, a 2000 Beetle TDI 5speed. I was trying to find a wrecked VW so i didn't have to tear apart a complete vehicle but this one threw its timing belt and the price was too good to pass up for a complete rig. Everything that i don't need for the swap is for sale (Tranny, Wheels, Radiator, AC system, Interior pieces, Body Components)

And here is the ALH and all its glory Before its even in the truck i plan on deleting the egr and having the ecu reflashed for more power, as well as cleaning everything up and of course ALL new timing components.

bms707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 18:34   #2
bms707

Some Bucket lifter carnage (This one was the worst) they're all pretty spider-webbed though. Gonna need a new head! or hopefully just new valves, buckets and a cam

Old May 19th, 2014, 20:23   #3
samuraitd
Veteran Member

I approve! You gonna stick with all the electronics, or go mechanical?
Old May 19th, 2014, 20:45   #4
bms707

Motor coming out, wasn't trying to show off lol. It was about 95 degrees this day, which is unusually hot for my area

Out and on the stand, look at those rusty coolant passages

A pile o parts! i figured out why the t-belt snapped, you can see the water pump at the bottom of this pic with its PLASTIC impeller wheel (really germany? seriously?!) it appears the wheel completely shredded off the water pump shaft, toasted the needle bearing in the pump which consequently ruined the t-belt causing valve to piston contact, lovely! Somehow a good chunk was taken out of the water pump drive sprocket. Also found little needle bearing collected at the base of the timing cover by the crank pulley, this is one unhappy TDI! That's a good EGR that i have no use for...

Cylinder Head! looks like #1 exhaust and #2 intake took one for the team

Injectors and lines bagged and tagged! Ready to get scrubbed with a toothbrush and diesel fuel.

Yepppp, that's a dirty intake! Nothing a propane torch and compressed air won't take care of.

Bottom end looks pretty good, IMO

Now this is gonna be a little tricky, it appears i have to fab up a new coolant pipe for the rear of the cylinder head, because this will poke toward the firewall of my toyota, while in the bug it has ample room. I'd like to see some ideas of how people have tackled this issue!!

Old May 19th, 2014, 20:47   #5
bms707

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraitd View Post
I approve! You gonna stick with all the electronics, or go mechanical?
I will certainly be keeping the electrics! Wiring is sort of my area of expertise
Old May 19th, 2014, 21:10   #6
bms707

Oh yeah, and here's the 5spd manual tranny. I also have the flywheel, clutch, shifter and cables, clutch master/slave. So if anyone is looking to do an auto to manual swap, I've got what you need!

Ok my pic whore streak is over...for now lol
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:23   #7
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

what brand is the timing belt that snapped, any markings?... for the coolant flange issue i made a block off plate that replaced the coolant glow flange and welded a nipple to the rad hose outlet ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=87

Last edited by jimbote; May 20th, 2014 at 06:42.
jimbote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:56   #8
bms707

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
what brand is the timing belt that snapped, any markings?... for the coolant flange issue i made a block off plate that replaced the coolant glow flange and welded a nipple to the rad hose outlet ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=87
I'm assuming the belt was OEM it had no marks on it (maybe the marks were right on the part where it snapped lol), this beetle has 193k on it and appears the PO's weren't too keen on maintenance water pump was OEM VW as well :/ Thanks for the coolant pipe suggestion, that seems like the route i'll have to take, I'd like to try and retain the coolant glow plugs just by relocating their bracket.
Old May 20th, 2014, 17:07   #9
2many diesels
Veteran Member

Looks like you bought the boat he had for sale too!!!
I was the first one to look at that car. When I saw every lifter trashed, I thought there was a good chance the bottom end was going to have problems. I was going to make him an offer and use it for a 5spd swap, but you beat me to it.
Do your self a favor and send the head to franko6, you won't be dissapointed.
Where are you located, I might still be interested in the trans and asso. parts.

Jimbote...there wasn't enough of the belt left to identify....it was about 3/4" wide when it snapped.

Last edited by 2many diesels; May 20th, 2014 at 17:15.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 19:46   #10
bms707

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
Looks like you bought the boat he had for sale too!!!
I was the first one to look at that car. When I saw every lifter trashed, I thought there was a good chance the bottom end was going to have problems. I was going to make him an offer and use it for a 5spd swap, but you beat me to it.
Do your self a favor and send the head to franko6, you won't be dissapointed.
Where are you located, I might still be interested in the trans and asso. parts.

Jimbote...there wasn't enough of the belt left to identify....it was about 3/4" wide when it snapped.
Haha no we've had that boat for many years , its a '76 Glastron still looking for a motor :/ Yeah i was a little weary at first with the beetle, but it just ended up being a couple trashed valves. I'm near Eureka, PM me an offer if your interesed And, frank06? Is he on this forum? What state is he in?
Old May 20th, 2014, 20:31   #11
2many diesels
Veteran Member

Yes Frank is a well respected member here....sure you didn't buy that boat in Lakeport.
Oddly enough, the first tdi motor I bought was just about a mile from there.
I am local in the lakeport area.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 20:57   #12
bms707

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
Yes Frank is a well respected member here....sure you didn't buy that boat in Lakeport.
Oddly enough, the first tdi motor I bought was just about a mile from there.
I am local in the lakeport area.
Got the boat from a buddy here in humboldt about 8 years ago, nice it sure looks like you have enough tdi's lol. This is actually my first tdi ever, my sister had an '02 jetta but it was a gasser AND auto . I sure did love those heated seats though
Old May 20th, 2014, 21:07   #13
bms707

Haha getting my buddys 16ft double axle flatbed AND my 2000 ford excursion that pulled it into that dudes driveway was QUITE a chore, just nearly cleared the TINY gate opening he had lol.
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:45   #14
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

just an FYI on the valves ... every damaged lifter has a suspect valve underneath and that valve should be replaced ... hate to see you go through all the work only to destroy the engine a few k down the road ....the same untortunate scenario happens over and over :/
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:14   #15
bms707

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
just an FYI on the valves ... every damaged lifter has a suspect valve underneath and that valve should be replaced ... hate to see you go through all the work only to destroy the engine a few k down the road ....the same untortunate scenario happens over and over :/
Oh totally, i was already planning on buying a new cylinder head just to erase the possibility of ANY problems down the road. I only have this toyota and my excursion. The excursion get about 22 mpg, which is fantastic for an 8400lb rig, but the toyota gets about the same, or worse :/ Bottom line is that I'm building my yota to be my new DD, and thus will be relying heavily on it for work, school etc. So i may just replace the entire head just as a safety measure, i tried looking up frank06 on the search bar and couldn't find him. Idk maybe i didn't search for the right criteria