www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old January 30th, 2013, 17:07   #676
Feilo

Fuel Economy: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
The Meijer in Bolingbrook (across from IKEA) is prepay only, and you can't just hand them your credit card and fuel up. They insist on ringing something up. I tried to explain to them that this is not how we handle things in the 21st century, but they were unimpressed. Apparently too many of you hypermilers stretch their diesel dollars by just driving off.

On the positive side, the pump still has no bio stickers, claims to deliver premium ULSD fuel at $3.899/gallon, and the attendants confirmed that there is no bio in there.
I fill up there a lot and ask them when they will have pay@pump for diesel almost every time; they always say they are "working on it".

And yes, all the Meijer's that have diesel are all suppose to be premium diesel.
Old January 30th, 2013, 19:36   #677
MSU Spartans

Meijer in Plainfield allows you to pay at the pump. Not sure what they need to "work on"
MSU Spartans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:28   #678
Feilo

Fuel Economy: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU Spartans View Post
Meijer in Plainfield allows you to pay at the pump. Not sure what they need to "work on"
As posted above, Rolling Meadows and Hammond IN has pay@pump as well (I go there too). Maybe the other stores can't get the $ to upgrade the pumps?...
Old February 1st, 2013, 23:09   #679
Diesl
Veteran Member

Whereas my local Speedway has gone up to $3.999, Meijer Bolingbrook was still at 3.899 this evening. Which makes D2 cheaper than B11.
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:55   #680
oswegoPD
Veteran Member

Meijer Oswego was at 3.82 last night
oswegoPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 16:29   #681
tdirook

Default Da Region

I know that this is a "Chicago" centric thread, but I thought I would share a bit of what I have found out about Da Region in Indiana since so many of you Chicago folk drive through here on your way to the beach either here or in Michigan. Anyway, I was thrilled to find and confirm that the Speedway on Central Avenue and County Line Road in Portage, IN had #2 diesel for $4.199. This is good news for you Chicago folk because the major truck stops that surround the I-80/90/94/US-6 interchanges at Ripley (IN-51) all have 5-20% Bio in the normal auto bays. As for the semi bays, I cannot say. This Speedway in Portage is not too far off the beaten path from the freeway.

Another note: I found that the Pilot on US-20 in Burns Harbor and the BP truck stop in Burns Harbor also have 5-20% Bio. This area is another major truck stop haven so again, another place where people might assume there to be #2 only to find it marked 5-20%. (although the Pilot has it in the back for the semis).

Since a lot of you might be students at IU or PU or just travel to Indy for your small town needs, the Family Express in Rennsalaer right off of I-65 (IN-114 exit) also sells #2. The auto bay is next to the truck bays in the back and separate from the petrol bays, which I think is a good thing. The Marathon on the West side of I-65 at the same exit requires the large nozzle adapter, but is hopefully also #2 and is also separate from the petrol bays. So high hopes for the Marathon, but I didn't have an adapter.

And if any of you find yourselves traveling east on US-30 to Fort Wayne for a wedding or something, the Pilot just east of US-31 in Plymouth also sells #2 and is specifically marked 2-5% bio mass.

Last thing and then I will slink away. One of my projects that I have been extremely slow to start is to investigate as to why so many of the diesel pumps in NW Indiana do not have markings for Bio-Mass %. The only ones I have found marked are the ones marked 5-20%, which leads me to believe that the law in Indiana is that a station need only mark the fuels that have more than 5% bio mass. If anybody knows more about the laws in Indiana, that would be helpful. I have searched, but I have come up pretty empty. My next step is to call the Porter/Lake County offices of weights and measures.

Anyway, this thread is very helpful, so please don't stop posting...Happy Post Valentine's Day fellow TDI'ers!

Last edited by tdirook; February 15th, 2013 at 16:34.
tdirook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:38   #682
MSU Spartans

Thumbs up

tdirook-

Thanks for that post. I plan to do a lot of traveling in and through Indiana this summer ( my son is considering a couple engineering schools there) and it helps to know where I can get straight D2 or <5% .
MSU Spartans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 20:54   #683
Ranting

I received a letter from VWOA today stating that my warranty would remain in force if I used up to 20% Bio-Diesel. The letter went on to warn of potential problems with using B20. This was quite disconcerting as the picture painted looked like B20 would be the only fuel available and it would require a higher level of maintenance including more frequent oil changes.
Ranting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 21:07   #684
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

What additional maintenance other than watching out for oil dilution? Only if you see it does it require an oil change. I burned B11 for the first 5000 miles and B5 mixed for the next 15,000 and did two oil analyses. Didn't see a drop of oil dilution. Easy way to find out, take a sample at 7, 500 miles and see how good your oil protects. It's a 30 dollar test. Do it once or twice and you'll know.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:34   #685
Tom in chicago

Default VW announcement

Sounds like great news to me! Checking the oil used to be standard procedure when filling up back in the day, so no big deal to me.

I will still seek out pure diesel, but good to know that the worry is oil contamination and not fuel or exhaust system.

I am curious how many of you following this board has purchased extended warranties and if so with what company?
Tom in chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:33   #686
inco9nito99

I still don't get it. Though I exclusively fill premium d2 from meijer since day 1, what are the benefits of say b11-20?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 26th, 2013, 15:33   #687
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Enhanced lubricity, but it's not a matter of benefits, it's a matter of availability. Since B11 is cheaper due to tax breaks, and most stations are competing on price, it's no wonder they all sell B11. In the case of Sam's Club Addison not only are they cheaper than the rest of the stations, they are selling non bio. A dime cheaper and B0, you have to wonder about the price at the rest of the B11 stations. Methinks they must be pocketing the tax savings instead of passing it on.
Old February 26th, 2013, 19:13   #688
X33

TDI(s): TDI Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
The Meijer in Bolingbrook (across from IKEA) is prepay only, and you can't just hand them your credit card and fuel up. They insist on ringing something up. I tried to explain to them that this is not how we handle things in the 21st century, but they were unimpressed. Apparently too many of you hypermilers stretch their diesel dollars by just driving off.

On the positive side, the pump still has no bio stickers, claims to deliver premium ULSD fuel at $3.899/gallon, and the attendants confirmed that there is no bio in there.
FWIW, perhaps mentioned already. But I happened to catch the fueler at Meijer as he was filling the station with diesel. Talked for a little bit. He claimed the Meijer diesel is the best pure diesel you can get. And pretty much the only place to get it.

While I've used both Feece Oil and Palatine Oil, the Bloomingdale Meijer location is my go to station.

http://www.facebook.com/JettaTDICupEdition
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 20:01   #689
Only1Z

I've used several tanks of Meijer's diesel and I have no issues using it. But back in the summer, I started running Citgo Premium Diesel at Delta Sonic (and also available at the Citgo station in downtown Westmont better known as Jimmy's Premium Diesel) and the car gets 1-2 mpg better than Meijer. It is also a little quieter (less diesel-ish). I also have run Amoco Premier Diesel (50 cetane) when I've been in Michigan. With both Citgo premium and Amoco Premier, the car does low to mid 50's at 65-70 mph. I have not been able to accomplish that with Meijer. Does that mean Meijer is worse? I don't know, but I get better mpg's and a slightly quieter car with the other two fuels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Only1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 20:28   #690
X33

TDI(s): TDI Cup

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking into those.

http://www.facebook.com/JettaTDICupEdition
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote