www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 8th, 2019, 07:08   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

VAG's "official" Marine Diesel endeavor started in 2002, but they've also been selling engines to many others for a long time. Their Industrial Engine division has been in operation since the fifties.

Many Linde fork lifts use VAG engines, too. There are also commercial water pumps, gensets, and other items that are powered by Volkswagen engines.
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:32   #17
jmodge
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, there were ocean going vessel applications on that list along with several Cummins in commercial apps. A fellow had an ALH in a tt here at Kirk’s gtg, he bought six from a military auction. Was told they were intended for generators
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:30   #18
Roost

TDI(s): 1.9 alh

I think im convinced, going to start collecting parts over summer and make it a winter project.

On a side note I wish I could use a 4bt, that's something im more familiar with. The weight and torque though.
Roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:01   #19
PickleRick
Veteran Member

The 4bt came in marine 250 hp packages. It Would most certainly eat an alpha drive for lunch!
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:38   #20
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I have no doubt, however you can sometimes find some pieces used that can make the use of your car engine into a boat go much easier. I was able to find a few bits and pieces through a couple different places. We had a customer buy a whole used, blown up (from neglect) Pathfinder engine which was an old version marine engine by a different company. He got it cheap, less than $1k shipped to the shop, and we stripped it down and put an AAZ 1.9L in its place (the original engine was a 1.6L). But all the stuff, the mounts, the brackets, the cooling system, etc. all bolted right up.
There is zero chance that for $1k someone could have built all the parts we got, which included the water cooling system's water jacketed exhaust manifold, the two stage pump and thermostat, the giant oil pan with scavenge pump, remote mounted twin filters, etc. All genuine VAG parts that fit perfectly. The only issue we ran into was the vacuum pump "hole" in the block of the original engine was smaller, and it used the same drive gear as the old Rabbits that had no power brakes. But the AAZ has a larger hole, and the old non-vacuum pump drive gear would not work. We did have to machine a spacer sleeve to make that work, because I could not just leave the AAZ's vacuum pump in place in the block to drive the oil pump because the marine cooling system ran a pipe right over that spot and it would have been too much work to change all that.
If nothing else, you can at least look to see how it is arranged. Boat parts are always priced stupid high, like dirt bike and ATV parts. Because they know these are generally a frivolity and people will pay for it.

Yes, I'm also familiar with the Pathfinder 1.6D. I have one sitting here on a skid. I have a omc140 in a 23' Starcraft Islander that I'd love to dieselize. You guys must have run the PF 1.9 AAZ in NA form?
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:16   #21
dogdots

TDI(s): None

I was saving back a BHW to convert my Playcraft I/O pontoon. Unfortunately Perry Lake, where my boat spends the season in a covered slip, doesn't have diesel available at either of the marinas. My pontoon has a Mercruiser 3 liter iron duke 4 banger attached to an Alpha.

I haven't seen the trailer since right after I bought the boat, the marina I slip in takes care of the storage, getting it ready for the season, launching into my slip, and winterizing and indoor storage. If I were the type to haul and launch my boat for every outing I would have converted it already.

I like reading these TDI marine conversion threads, and am a little jealous I don't have the time or a good reason to do one myself.
Old May 18th, 2020, 08:48   #22
Roost

So I finally found a engine for the project. It's a 03 ALH with 11mm pump.

Now im trying to get together a plan for 140 to 160hp.

Would a small set of compounds using the stock turbo be what im looking for? I have compounds on my Dodge 5.9 and know how well they work for that application. The vvt turbo is where im scratching my head, sounds like a recipe for high drive pressure? I was thinking of a He221wg as the atmosphere turbo. Reason why Im thinking compounds, is the application. I want it to be clean, cool and reliable. Any thoughts?
Old May 20th, 2020, 19:11   #23
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roost View Post

Would a small set of compounds using the stock turbo be what im looking for? I have compounds on my Dodge 5.9 and know how well they work for that application. The vvt turbo is where im scratching my head, sounds like a recipe for high drive pressure? I was thinking of a He221wg as the atmosphere turbo. Reason why Im thinking compounds, is the application. I want it to be clean, cool and reliable. Any thoughts?
throw away the stock turbo, right off the bat
I've done exactly that setup, stock turbo with all manner of TD04s (what the tiny holsets are based off of) and the vane mech does not last long, nevermind how restrictive the stock turbos are, and the fact that the compressor is already too big for the tiny turbine, making horrible boost creep inevitable even without an atmospheric turbo helping it along

the absolute smallest HP turbo I'd run especially on a boat would be a 5cm he221, and for the LP you can run basically any pickup truck takeoff. I was running an 16cm hx40 atop a td04hl19t5cm (ever so slightly smaller than the 221) and it was a great match. Now I'm running a he351wg because it had a smaller housing for quicker response, also a great match though you can certainly feel the added restriction of the smaller exhaust housing on the top end.

people here always recommend turbos that are tiny because they're stuck in the mindset of a small car with a manual transmission that'll be cruising at about 25hp and you want instant response because of all the gear changes
where with a boat you'll be cruising at full power continuous, meaning you need a much larger turbo to be efficient and furthermore snap-response is an absolute non-issue when compared to reliability at high output
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:46   #24
Roost

Thanks for the input! I was under the impression atop truck turbo would be over kill for my power goal? As long as it gets on a plane and runs cool im happy. I think ill be getting a he221 at the very least for fixed housing simplicity.

Do you mean a he351cw? if so the hx35 I have sitting around that would be comparable. has little less cfm compressor side and looser exh side.
Old May 21st, 2020, 15:05   #25
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roost View Post
Do you mean a he351cw?
yeah, just was unsure what letters other than it not being the vgt one
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:59   #26
Roost

Gotcha. I might try this hx35 pared with a he221 then, it's just fab work at that rate. The 221 would probably make a good single if it doesn't work out.

Ill be posting pictures as I go along. with how busy work is, it will be slow going.
Old May 24th, 2020, 12:39   #27
Roost

Size comparison between a undressed 24v 5.9. Even a 4bt would be a monster compared to these little guys. Perfect for a light weight boat..

Old May 27th, 2020, 12:57   #28
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

No concerns about reliabiity from a TDI as a boat application. Key will be matching your propeller and reduction ratio to the output curve of the engine. A gasoline engine will be quite different from a Diesel, and even a 5.9 Cummins that redlines at half the RPM of a TDI.

A watercooled exhaust manifold is a big need in the TDI marinization space. The Pathfinder ones from the 1.6 IDI bolt up but are like trying to find hens' teeth. I've been searching for a OE VW Marine one, PN 064121201, but these are even rarer and what can be found are selling for well over $2000 for used parts (!!!). I could design one and find a small-volume foundry to cast a run but will still be quite expensive and my observation is that most people doing these swaps are after doing them at the bottom dollar. Boating is not a cheap hobby, folks!

A post above mentioned the problem of poor performance and results integrating a turbo with a watercooled exhaust manifold. It is not a fundamental engineering or thermodynamic issue other than one usually of poor turbo matching (again the find-whatever-in-the-junk-yard mentality noted above and bigger-must-surely-be-better) and boost/fueling control (since many swaps are mechanized TDIs).

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 13:00   #29
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

@Roost, where in BC are you? I'm in PG.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 18:30   #30
Roost

I got a couple gear sets laying around for the upper, something I will have to fine tune. Rpm is the big reason I think I can make this tdi work. Even if im turning only 4k at wot I feel the boat will be moving along decent with the right prop and gearing.
Heat will be a issue being a glass boat. I will attempt to make my own manifold out of stainless sch 40 elbows and box it in for water side. Turbo im not too sure, heat blanket I suppose with adequate ventilation. I could weld a water jacket on the housing but would rather not if I don't have to.

I'm on Vancouver island.