2009 Q7 TDI crankshaft - How to rotate?

apbreaux

TDI
2009 Audi Q7 TDI
There's the short of it..

I can not figure out how to rotate the crankshaft on my 2009 Q7 TDI. I have both flapper valve housings out and am trying to rotate the crankshaft to close the intake valves. Everything is sooted/carboned up, has 110k. I've tried putting a bar down the middle of the pulley and using that along with the triple square a lever, but it's just putting too much pressure on the triple square bit. I've also tried just turning the bit, but that only tightens the bolt. The vehicle is in neutral. Any help is much appreciated. I can clean everything, but unless I can clean the valves it's almost a waste. Thanks.

As an aside, if anyone can tell me how to insert a .jpg I can upload a picture. I only see how to insert an image from a URL.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Isn't there a big bolt head on the crank? That's where you want to apply the torque. Not through a bolt on a pulley.

If it's a stick you can put in fifth, jack up a wheel and turn that.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You have to remove the pulley to get to the crank bolt right?

apbreaux

TDI
2009 Audi Q7 TDI
Isn't there a big bolt head on the crank? That's where you want to apply the torque. Not through a bolt on a pulley.

If it's a stick you can put in fifth, jack up a wheel and turn that.
Wish I could upload a pic, but there is no center bolt on the crankshaft pulley. Since my original post I've received info that there are special adapters for this particular engine. For anyone interested, google "Audi T40257" or "Audi 40272". Appreciate the response.