www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 19th, 2020, 13:54   #1
peteguenther

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 in the hils 50 on the highway
Default MAF symptom

I meant to post this a while back in hopes it could be helpful to others.
My 03 alh was having this issue where occasionally it would stall hard on takeoff as though I had dumped the clutch. That became a little more clearly a total lack of very low end/ rpm power, then it faltered a few times on upshift. unplugged the maf and it was better. put in another MAF and it's been fine for miles.
peteguenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2020, 08:25   #2
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Was there a CEL?
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 17:20   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

The easiest way to diagnose is to unplug to see if the engine runs better.

The best way to diagnose is to log the requested vs actual MAF and see if the actual keeps up to requested.

That isn't every detail, but in general gets you started, if not all the way there.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:42   #4
peteguenther

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 in the hils 50 on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB05 View Post
Was there a CEL?
no never got CEL. It got bad enough one day that i nearly couldn't get in motion without stalling - unplugged the MAF and it was all better on a short drive so I put in a spare used MAF and it's been good since
peteguenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 07:51   #5
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Classic failed MAF is the tachometer will not go past 3000 rpm. This happens because with no MAF the default value is 500 at full throttle instead of 850. No CEL is unusual for a MAF failure
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2020, 17:10   #6
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

OP does your car still have a functional EGR ? A stuck open EGR will cause severe driveability problems
Carlos_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 21:05   #7
Jaden

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg city I donít drive much on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
The easiest way to diagnose is to unplug to see if the engine runs better.

The best way to diagnose is to log the requested vs actual MAF and see if the actual keeps up to requested.

That isn't every detail, but in general gets you started, if not all the way there.

Cheers,

PH
How can you log the requested vs the actual MAF?
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 04:31   #8
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

With a VCDS, you can start logging then select the data values. I'd have to look at the interface for a while to remember. I don't use mine often enough and every time it is a 'new' experience for some features.

IIRC, there is a small 'log' button on the lower right when you're looking at measuring blocks. Find the MAF items, then log them while the engine is running. Driving is best. You can do the drive, then check the log. Never while driving, of course. Having a friend check the log while you're driving is great.

What you would look for in a bad MAF is to drive, punching it then letting off the go-pedal. The requested MAF will spike up, but the actual will never catch up unless you go down to idle. The bigger the gap between the two, the worse your MAF has failed. A good MAF won't lag much and will catch the requested very quickly.

Cheers,

PH
Old May 18th, 2020, 18:35   #9
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Classic failed MAF is the tachometer will not go past 3000 rpm. This happens because with no MAF the default value is 500 at full throttle instead of 850. No CEL is unusual for a MAF failure

HI,

I have not had the low RPM issues BUT if I try to push past about 3300 RPM if feels like power is cut back so I let off ....

Often times there is not a check engine light but possibly once or twice there was BUT its usually an over boost code (I cant remember but maybe a po 234 ?).

Anyways, is that still a result of a bad MAF sensor ?

Should I check it by unplugging the MAF and trying to rev past 3200 ?

Or if the default value is 500 VS 850 would tha not allow me to rev high anyways?

Thanks

Andrew
Old May 22nd, 2020, 09:54   #10
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

I'm driving with one unplugged on one of mine right now due to another issue. With all else being normal, unplugging the MAF leaves me with a car that is low power until I go past 3k rpms, after which it seems to wake up. It is better with a fully functioning MAF, but it is driveable in its current state.

Best bet for answering your questions is to get a VCDS and watch the requested vs actual on the air mass sensor (group 3?). If your MAF is unplugged, the actual will display 550 or so and never move. Plugged in, if everything else is working well, the actual should be very close and never far behind requested.

If the MAF is failing, the actual will probably lag, and it might not ever catch up when the revs are high. But that could also be explained by, say, a boost leak.

So you can have a lot of fun when trying to sort this problem out. However, if you know the other parts of the air charging system (turbocharger, N75, vacuum pump, vacuum lines, turbo actuator, intercooler, intake manifold, EGR, and anything I haven't thought of) are working perfectly (or close to it) then your problem boils down to comparing actual vs requested on the air mass sensor. A lot of variance, then replace the MAF.

Cheers,

PH