www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 8th, 2019, 04:49   #1
Quincy

Default Auto Socks in snow

I've had a chance to figure out the drawbacks of not being able to turn off the traction control on my 2015 Passat. I actually was stuck on a hill after being forced to stop for an idiot coming down the hill. He decided he really didn't want to go down about half way. I ended up having to pull some Dukes of Hazard tricks to get the nose turned 180 on a road no wider than the length of the car. It just wasn't going to go up from a start. Every time I started to dig into the snow to grab some new traction, the traction control would kick in and put an end to my effort.

The next day I was at the dealer to take care of a check engine light. They had these tire sock things for $99.95 that you just slip over the tires. I was wondering if anyone has used them and what kind of experience was had. They seem too wonderful to be true, but they will probably just stay in my trunk for an "in a pinch" moment. They don't seem like something that would be good for a winter road trip through the mountains, though they claim they are.

I had a 2005 Passat TDI that was flawless in the snow. I used to take it to the mountains to ski and never once chained the stock tires. Even when trying to get the car goofy, I couldn't. I wonder, does the fact that this transmission is a DSG limit the ability of traction control? I don't remember ever turning off the traction control on the 2005, but I had the option. With the older one, I just put my foot into the right pedal and the car just figured it out. With the 2015, that doesn't work. It just gives up if it can't find traction.

I may have an opportunity to test these socks out today. NW Washington is supposed to have a paralyzing snow event today (2" is pretty traumatic here).
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:11   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

Never had first hand experience with them. Prob for people who handle snow once or twice a season they'd prob work, just don't expect miracles. '15 does have limiting TCS but it's wayyy better than the 12-14 Passats, that allowed zero slipping before falling on it's face.

Prob the biggest thing against the 15 Passat are the wide floaty tires, you on 18s at 8"? Your older 05 Passat prob had more narrower tires possibly 16" with 6.5".
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 04:40   #3
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Never had first hand experience with them. Prob for people who handle snow once or twice a season they'd prob work, just don't expect miracles. '15 does have limiting TCS but it's wayyy better than the 12-14 Passats, that allowed zero slipping before falling on it's face.

Prob the biggest thing against the 15 Passat are the wide floaty tires, you on 18s at 8"? Your older 05 Passat prob had more narrower tires possibly 16" with 6.5".
I had to break them out of the trunk to get up my road yesterday. They aren't as easy to get on as I thought they'd be since I can't get my hands inside the wheel wells. Once on, they were nice and sticky. I drove right up the road I just made 10 failed attempts. We don't get that much snow, so if I was going to be doing more mountain driving, I will probably have chains too.
Old February 9th, 2019, 04:50   #4
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post

My recently acquired 2015 Passat came equipped with 19" wheels and 245/45R19 Continental summer tires.

First order of business was to mount 16x6.5" wheels with 216/60R16 Nokian Hakkapellita R3 tires.

The OP isn't clear, but I sure hope he has proper winter tires mounted. before considering "tire socks".

HPsenicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:37   #5
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsenicka View Post
My recently acquired 2015 Passat came equipped with 19" wheels and 245/45R19 Continental summer tires.

First order of business was to mount 16x6.5" wheels with 216/60R16 Nokian Hakkapellita R3 tires.

The OP isn't clear, but I sure hope he has proper winter tires mounted. before considering "tire socks".
Why would I need winter tires before installing any kind of traction device? If I had winter tires on the car, there is the possibility I wouldn't have needed additional traction to get up my driveway. Once the tire is wrapped with a fabric, it wouldn't matter if there was racing slicks on the car.

I heard mention of these socks on the news this morning. WSP Trooper Leary mentioned that your tires can possibly slip inside the fabric, making them less useful. That certainly makes sense to me. I think these socks will just remain in my trunk to use in a pinch. After next week, it may be 3 or 4 years before we ever see snow on the ground.

If I was to make runs into the mountains more often during the Winter with the car, I would definitely invest proper tires on their own wheels. With the forecast of the next week, I think I'm just going to have to get my truck dirty. The snow on my road is deep enough the bottom of the Passat doesn't clear it. I'll look for something heavy to toss in the bed and reduce the tire air pressure down from the 80psi they are probably sitting at.
Old February 10th, 2019, 13:24   #6
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
They aren't as easy to get on as I thought they'd be since I can't get my hands inside the wheel wells.
I'm not totally sure how these go on, but with chains I alway back onto about 6" of them, that way I am fastening the inside just in front of the tire close to the ground where there is the best access, you can even have the front wheels turned all the way each way for each side to have really good access to the inside fastener, but it is harder to lay out the chain/sock under the car that way.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 14:02   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

You live in Washing state.

Socks are very limited in lifespan - tried them out in my fleet of heavy trucks.

Get snow tires.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 21:02   #8
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post

Get snow tires.

Exactly!

Old February 11th, 2019, 06:32   #9
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I'll look for something heavy to toss in the bed and reduce the tire air pressure down from the 80psi they are probably sitting at.
You're at max load all the time, requiring max tire press? Or, you like it rough? (the drive)……

I'd agree with the others...dedicated snows/16" wheels. But it doesn't sound like you encounter or drive in snow frequently (?).
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 13:30   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Snow tires aren't for everyone all depends at how long the white stuff sticks around.

We've had more bare ground and clean pavement more than snow this year.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:09   #11
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambld View Post
You're at max load all the time, requiring max tire press? Or, you like it rough? (the drive)……

I'd agree with the others...dedicated snows/16" wheels. But it doesn't sound like you encounter or drive in snow frequently (?).
It is a truck, used to do truck things. I must have figured out at some point it wasn't having much asked of it because the tires were all at 55 psi. They are all at 44 now and the truck drives just fine in the snow.

I'm not buying a set of snow tires for an event that happens every 5 years as long as there's a 4X4 in the garage. Even as unusual as this snow event is, the Passat only needs assistance for the last mile of my trip home. By this afternoon, it should only need assistance for the last 1000 feet.
Old February 18th, 2019, 15:54   #12
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

this last snow really crippled my Passat even with its artic studded tires as it kept getting high centered- had to park it and brake out the truck
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 17:58   #13
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
this last snow really crippled my Passat even with its artic studded tires as it kept getting high centered- had to park it and brake out the truck
Yep, I drove the car for the first time today. The neighbor finally removed enough snow with his tractor so my buddy that borrowed my tractor could finally bring it back to me.
Old February 18th, 2019, 18:57   #14
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

So you live in an area where you experience enough snow that you can't drive your car for almost a week, yet you don't think snow tires are necessary... really?

Old February 18th, 2019, 19:01   #15
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsenicka View Post
So you live in an area where you experience enough snow that you can't drive your car for almost a week, yet you don't think snow tires are necessary... really?

It isn't just about how much snow you have to deal with.

If your average daily temps are getting down below 7C, or anywhere close to 32F, regular all-season tires just don't have the same grip, even on dry pavement.