www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 31st, 2019, 12:45   #11191
YZO024

TDI(s): 01 Jetta TDI

2 weeks ago we had one station in Angleton TX, that was $1.99 gal. Now that I got my TDI back up and running they are back at $2.39 in the same area.
YZO024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 02:00   #11192
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~40 mpg

Prices in my neck of Baldwin County are still higher than the rest of Alabama…

Regular is averaging around the $2 mark with diesel around $2.65.

Cheapest around here is the new Buc-ee's that just opened about 20 minutes north of here. The first out outside of Texas! Their regular was $1.879 yesterday, and diesel was $2.459.

I spent over two hours there with a family member who spent way more there than I am comfortable admitting to anyone!

It was pretty impressive, though. I think it has well over 100 pumps, all of which have diesel nozzles. Selected ones also have ethanol free fuel and DEF dispensed direct from the pump, which is not something I've seen around here before.
Old February 4th, 2019, 09:50   #11193
hugho

Fuel Economy: 52.3 on first tank
Default Diesel/gasoline spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Prices in my neck of Baldwin County are still higher than the rest of Alabama…

Regular is averaging around the $2 mark with diesel around $2.65.

Cheapest around here is the new Buc-ee's that just opened about 20 minutes north of here. The first out outside of Texas! Their regular was $1.879 yesterday, and diesel was $2.459.

I spent over two hours there with a family member who spent way more there than I am comfortable admitting to anyone!

It was pretty impressive, though. I think it has well over 100 pumps, all of which have diesel nozzles. Selected ones also have ethanol free fuel and DEF dispensed direct from the pump, which is not something I've seen around here before.
Here in Wyoming Diesel is about 30 cents over gasoline or about $3/gal. Nationwide the average is 60+ cents according to the website oilprice,com. The spread is likely to increase as diesel is refined from the heavier crude grades. Not as much diesel in the Frack grades. Heavier grades tend to come from Mx, Venezuela and Canada. Heavier grades are showing a premium to the lighter grades per barrel. Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.
hugho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:51   #11194
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

In SC, diesel came down a dine to $2.49 and rug went up a dime to $1.99.
Old February 4th, 2019, 13:59   #11195
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugho View Post
Here in Wyoming Diesel is about 30 cents over gasoline or about $3/gal. Nationwide the average is 60+ cents according to the website oilprice,com. The spread is likely to increase as diesel is refined from the heavier crude grades. Not as much diesel in the Frack grades. Heavier grades tend to come from Mx, Venezuela and Canada. Heavier grades are showing a premium to the lighter grades per barrel. Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.
hughho, I understand most of your response above, and appreciate your insight. I don't think I under stand the last few sentences though. Would appreciate your thoughts on my questions below:

What is Marine shipping using now?

Also, regarding diesel demand, how is it that the US EPA / CARB are forcing road transportation away from diesel (due to very strict emission control standards), yet the marine shipping industry is looking to increase? This seems contradictory to me.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 14:57   #11196
JimInPB

Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugho View Post
... Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.

It was my understanding that large ships only burned sweet fuel when inside of territorial waters & they instead burned cheaper/dirtier bunker fuel when offshore. I don't have real numbers to work with, but I would expect that the low sulfur (sweet) fuel would only account for 5% or less of the total fuel that they burn on average. An effect will likely be seen, but it may not be a gigantic effect.
JimInPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 19:52   #11197
Tankthecarman

Fuel Economy: 42-48

Was 2.859/Gallon when I filled up last week here in the suburbs of Savannah Georgia .
Tankthecarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 19:55   #11198
Tankthecarman

As an aside...has anyone ever heard of adding a half-pint if 2strike oil to the tank for its lubrication qualities? Was told that it helps keep the fuel system and associated parts conditioned in a low sulfur fuel environment. Is there any merit to this?
Old February 9th, 2019, 19:56   #11199
Tankthecarman

*2-stroke*
Old February 9th, 2019, 20:03   #11200
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankthecarman View Post
As an aside...has anyone ever heard of adding a half-pint if 2stroke oil to the tank for its lubrication qualities? Was told that it helps keep the fuel system and associated parts conditioned in a low sulfur fuel environment. Is there any merit to this?

I believe that has been discussed in this forum:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

particularly here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=equals+smiles

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; February 9th, 2019 at 20:09.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 21:55   #11201
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

I add a bit of auto trans fluid in every tank. Currently I am using type-4 atf that I got out of a jeep trans...