www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 20th, 2011, 10:56   #16
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

ditto and no flame. I stand by my recommendation and reasons for synthetic above. That said, also acknowledge my father has a fairly old Dodge Cummins turbo diesel, in which he has run Rotella 15W-40 for over a decade and original turbo is fine. But then again... he religiously idles for several minutes before each shutdown.
2004 Jetta GL wagon 2.0L (gas) 5-spd (sold)
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 13:51   #17
JettaTDIBlack
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.88mpg/City Not tested, yet/Highway
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettawreck View Post
No flame, just some reasons to continue to care for that high mile NB.
The alternate choice in oil is your choice, of course, and Rotella 15w-40 is a great non-synthetic oil. But, its not the oil spec'ed for your engine design, as you know. Non-synthetic oils just don't perform at the temps that are possible in the turbo and piston ring areas as well as the piston cooling oil sprays. I think you would save more $$ (which you indicate is the reason for the switch) by running Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 and 15/20K change intervals, which many, many guys have shown by their used oil analysis to still hold up very well. Changing less expensive oil (and filter?)more often doesn't add up. I've been getting M1 for 5.79/qt with a $12 rebate on 5 qts. Two rebates per household, so 10 qts at a time and they have run this promo twice a year. That nets out to $3.49/qt. Fewer changes (although I still change at 10K interval) fewer filters, less work for me on the two TDIs. So, even if you paid about $2/qt for Rotella, it would be very minimal difference, if any, including filter costs.
I don't think what you're doing is all that big of an issue, just don't see much savings consider that you're getting/using a lesser product.
Nice report on the NB! Getting very close to the big 500K!!

Where are you finding M1TDT in qts? I can only find them in 4qt jugs here.
JettaTDIBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 15:00   #18
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Maybe Mobil stopped selling quarts in the 7.5 years since jettawreck posted.
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 17:17   #19
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
Maybe Mobil stopped selling quarts in the 7.5 years since jettawreck posted.
The local Fleet store always had M1 TDT in qts but I haven't looked for it in a long time since I switched to the DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40. The Fleet store sells that now for $25/gal (rarely they have a sale for $20/gal) and I stock up when Mobil/Exxon has the $12/gal rebate. DelVac for $13/gal is a good deal ($8/gal is a great deal!).
I frequent the place fairly regular. I will try to remember to look and see if they still have TDT in qts.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 18:59   #20
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

The ESP meets specs for the ALH engine?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 19:23   #21
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The ESP meets specs for the ALH engine?
Like M1 TDT (and RotellaT6 for that matter), it doesn't list as approved for VW specs, but it's a higher quality commercial version of M1. It's a 5w-40 "advanced" full synthetic API CK-4 rated oil that many have used and has had superb UOA results that I researched before switching over.
Works great in the Honda V4 (ST1300) motorcycle too, and it's not the correct spec for that either.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
Old December 3rd, 2018, 20:15   #22
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Interesting... I have a lot of time on the T6 with excellent results, but this would be another arrow in the quiver when shopping for oil for the Jetta....
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 22:17   #23
frank1

Fuel Economy: Low 38 mpg---high 48 mpg, both cars are automatic

Klondike 0w-40 synthetic.
frank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 20:43   #24
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Interesting... I have a lot of time on the T6 with excellent results, but this would be another arrow in the quiver when shopping for oil for the Jetta....

Yep, and I had nothing but good results with Rotella T6 also, but when I can get the DelVac for quite a bit less at my favorite store I'm good with that. Plus, it was at the top of the list per Drivebywire and it had superb UOA results.

Old December 5th, 2018, 00:39   #25
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '09 Jetta

Quote:
Yep, and I had nothing but good results with Rotella T6 also, but when I can get the DelVac for quite a bit less at my favorite store I'm good with that. Plus, it was at the top of the list per Drivebywire and it had superb UOA results.
The new Delvac isn't isn't the same as the old CJ-4 stuff. There not comparable to each other.
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:52   #26
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
The new Delvac isn't isn't the same as the old CJ-4 stuff. There not comparable to each other.

That's a broad vague statement. In what ways have they changed it and do you have references to show that, or is it the same as when they "changed" Rotella T6 and many claimed it was no longer "as good" and not comparable to the original version(s).

Old December 5th, 2018, 10:59   #27
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's a broad vague statement. In what ways have they changed it and do you have references to show that, or is it the same as when they "changed" Rotella T6 and many claimed it was no longer "as good" and not comparable to the original version(s).
Look at the specs. CJ-4 Delvac ESP is clearly different than the new CK-4/SN version. Different viscosity, cheaper base oils, Reduced anti-wear additives, etc...

Mobil used expensive ingredients in the old Delvac, primarily PAO, alkylated naphthalenes and Esters. That’s what gave it it’s impressive properties like extremely low pour point, flash point and volatility. Those ingredients also gave it a high natural viscosity index and made shear-stable as there weren’t any polymers necessary in the recipe.

Old CJ-4 specs: https://www.mooreballiewoil.com/wp-c..._5w_40_pds.pdf

New Delvac ESP CK-4/SN specs: https://www.mobil.com/Xomfl/Core/Han...1-ESP-5W40?p=1

New Delvac ESP doesn’t meet Ford minimum standards due to reduced ZDDP and it not approved for use in the powerstroke Engines. I wouldn’t use it in any older diesel that has a flat tappet camshaft.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:20   #28
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
Look at the specs. CJ-4 Delvac ESP is clearly different than the new CK-4/SN version. Different viscosity, cheaper base oils, Reduced anti-wear additives, etc...

Mobil used expensive ingredients in the old Delvac, primarily PAO, alkylated naphthalenes and Esters. That’s what gave it it’s impressive properties like extremely low pour point, flash point and volatility. Those ingredients also gave it a high natural viscosity index and made shear-stable as there weren’t any polymers necessary in the recipe.

Old CJ-4 specs: https://www.mooreballiewoil.com/wp-c..._5w_40_pds.pdf

New Delvac ESP CK-4/SN specs: https://www.mobil.com/Xomfl/Core/Han...1-ESP-5W40?p=1

New Delvac ESP doesn’t meet Ford minimum standards due to reduced ZDDP and it not approved for use in the powerstroke Engines. I wouldn’t use it in any older diesel that has a flat tappet camshaft.

You seem to be up on this topic.....what's your take on using shell rotellaT6 5w40 in alh's and bew's?
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:17   #29
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
You seem to be up on this topic.....what's your take on using shell rotellaT6 5w40 in alh's and bew's?
I wouldn’t use any CK-4 Diesel engine oil that doesn’t meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 in an TDI equipped with a Flat tappet camshaft.

In other words, no. I wouldn’t use the new T6 or Delvac ESP in an ALH or BEW.

T6 is cheap and readily available. It’s historically had high volatility so I wouldn’t use it in anything that has emissions controls.
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:29   #30
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Is Delvac1 the same as Delvac ESP?