www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old November 30th, 2018, 17:34   #31
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Discussions on an engineering forum (they're long, and extensive, and they get into some detail about the technical limitations that are involved):

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=439144

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=436809

The takeaway: these systems are a long way from living up to their billing.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2018, 18:35   #32
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I agree that the autopilot system is almost too good. To the point where many owners become complacent and treat it as though it were fully autonomous. It's hard to remain totally alert and ready to take over at a moment's notice when the car seems to be doing such a good job of driving itself. Real world driving (especially off highway) is an incredibly complex task that will take many years for fully autonomous systems to master. But, I would contend that the enhanced cruise control systems(like autopilot)we have today are already saving lives.

https://insideevs.com/nhtsa-tesla-mo...ehicle-tested/

Last edited by turbobrick240; December 1st, 2018 at 01:36.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:51   #33
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

And then there's this: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...202-story.html

Autopilot does not make up for stupidity.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 09:17   #34
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Ya, I wonder if he had a weight on the steering wheel to fool the dead man switch.
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 17:03   #35
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I agree that the autopilot system is almost too good. To the point where many owners become complacent and treat it as though it were fully autonomous. It's hard to remain totally alert and ready to take over at a moment's notice when the car seems to be doing such a good job of driving itself. Real world driving (especially off highway) is an incredibly complex task that will take many years for fully autonomous systems to master. But, I would contend that the enhanced cruise control systems(like autopilot)we have today are already saving lives.
https://insideevs.com/nhtsa-tesla-mo...ehicle-tested/
My prediction: as the rate of sales with vehicles having some kind of 'autopilot' go up the cost/benefit to society is going to become proportionally more negative in the foreseeable future (next few years perhaps).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 04:57   #36
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Just heard on the radio this morning 2026 will be the last year for 'gasoline powered cars' from Volkswagen. Not sure exactly what this means, though. And I doubt it will happen completely that fast, either. If their up and coming EVs flop, that could change things. Carmakers won't make things people do not want to buy. Example: Chevrolet Cruze, Malibu, etc. Going away in a couple years, taking after Ford. Trucks and SUVs will still be available though.
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:03   #37
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I believe that was a misunderstanding. What I've heard is that the next generation of internal combustion engines that VW develops will be the last one, and those are scheduled for 2026, but VW plans for those to carry through to the end of the internal combustion engine.

But then there's this ... https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...acturing-Plant
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:06   #38
oilhammer

It was a Forbes article that was referenced. I have not read it myself.
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:12   #39
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Just heard on the radio this morning 2026 will be the last year for 'gasoline powered cars' from Volkswagen. Not sure exactly what this means, though. And I doubt it will happen completely that fast, either. If their up and coming EVs flop, that could change things. Carmakers won't make things people do not want to buy. Example: Chevrolet Cruze, Malibu, etc. Going away in a couple years, taking after Ford. Trucks and SUVs will still be available though.
It could be, like Volvo, that the announcement really means VW will not offer any vehicle that does not have some type of electric drive or assist. So at a minimum, every VWAG vehicle will be some type of hybrid.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:11   #40
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
It could be, like Volvo, that the announcement really means VW will not offer any vehicle that does not have some type of electric drive or assist. So at a minimum, every VWAG vehicle will be some type of hybrid.
At least, with an some type of electric drive or assist, VW SUVs with gasoline engines, might have a chance of giving out consistent above 30 MPG fuel economy.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:42   #41
oilhammer

VAG's MEB platform is all electric, designed that way, from the start.

They have already given up on hybrids after their two half-hearted (American-targeted) attempts.

Not sure what the time frame roll out is, but the I.D. was supposed to make it for the 2019 MY, with the Crozz, Buzz, and Vizzion following a year or two later.

Last edited by oilhammer; December 5th, 2018 at 12:45.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:11   #42
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
VAG's MEB platform is all electric, designed that way, from the start.

They have already given up on hybrids after their two half-hearted (American-targeted) attempts.

Not sure what the time frame roll out is, but the I.D. was supposed to make it for the 2019 MY, with the Crozz, Buzz, and Vizzion following a year or two later.
1) VW wants to go all electric
2) Americans want 'all SUV'
1) + 2) = $$$$ initially and then some
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:04   #43
oilhammer

Interesting article I heard this morning on the radio (well, part of the article) about GM's ever shrinking presence both globally AND domestically. They are no longer innovators and no longer the leader in the market, and seem to be unable to be persuaded to really do much of anything besides build pickup trucks.
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:32   #44
tikal
Veteran Member

Default Something is something?

Quote:
Interesting article I heard this morning on the radio (well, part of the article) about GM's ever shrinking presence both globally AND domestically. They are no longer innovators and no longer the leader in the market, and seem to be unable to be persuaded to really do much of anything besides build pickup trucks.
Well, GM did bother to bring a CUV to the US with a light duty diesel engine giving us upper 30's MPG and a generous torque at a competitive price. Can we call it innovation using American automotive standards (ICE related)?

Old December 6th, 2018, 12:57   #45
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Well, GM did bother to bring a CUV to the US with a light duty diesel engine giving us upper 30's MPG and a generous torque at a competitive price. Can we call it innovation using American automotive standards (ICE related)?

Not sure how " competitive" the price is, but it is more than its gasoline versions, and (as per usual) only available in a more tarted up trim level. Also, it isn't like they are marketing them at all, most people (even those who just purchased a brand new gasoline fueled Equinox or Terrain) even KNOW that a diesel version exists, let alone is available.... a trend already set a while back with the Cruze. Which, continues to this day, until the last Cruze is built.

GM had the EV1, too, remember? The Bolt remains an enigma. On one hand, it is pretty clear they did it out of gratitude (or were TOLD to) to the US gov't and the greenies within, but now the CAFE credits, or carbon credits, or whatever, are going away (was recently told this at a GM tech class) , so whatever "push" there was for those, in my mind very little, will go away.

Boy they have Silverado ads going almost non-stop though. You'll see in the next few months all the non-pickup non-SUV GM adds vanish as they prep the sheeple that nobody needs a mere "car" anyway. Ford already has.

Toyota finally has a hybrid Corolla coming for us, though.