www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 3rd, 2018, 15:16   #16
jmodge
Veteran Member

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm

Check the tech 2 link in the artical. Shows the dimensions for setting up a tv cable bracket.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 20:57   #17
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Manual shift control (manual valve body) for the non-electronic transmissions is not a problem, these transmissions are commonly used in drag racing and it's done all the time for that. Doesn't fix the line pressure headache, though. I think it will still want the TV hooked up (and correct! - looks like it's fussy) to get it to shift right, and at that point, you might as well just let it do its own shifting. Wrongly chosen manual shift (you know it's going to happen!) plus wrong line pressure looks like it could easily cook something.

It would sure help if the original poster would chime in and explain what it is that they are trying to do.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 09:28   #18
jmodge
Veteran Member

Yeah, an update by op would be nice. We may hear in time. Nice topic and food for thought at any rate.
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:33   #19
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind

I have been running a 4l60e on my TDI for almost 3 years now. It is a great match for the torque/power. I do not think I would be happy with a th350 as it's nice to have the overdrive gear. Using USShift to control it. Using a custom built torque converter. We have a guy that builds them locally. I have have lockup set in 2nd gear and up. I can chug around town in 2nd or 3rd gear as low as 1350 rpm with lockup engaged pulling good torque and the transmission behaves really nice. There is a bit too much concern in the posts above.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 05:27   #20
jmodge
Veteran Member

Good info, thanks for posting that
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:58   #21
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I agree 100% that the 4l60e would be a better on road tranny but if i were building a yj, fj40 or similar short wheel base off road rig and needed a cheap, strong, compact transmission the th350 would be a go to. I have always been impartial to stick shifts but the automatics are far better for off road/rock climbing duty especially if one must use the brake and throttle at the same time. A hand throttle in a TBW set up would take some for thought and even then many times on rocks you need both hands on the wheel. Pre power steering rigs are 100% 2 handed on rocks. This is important to remember due to many emissions regulated areas requiring diesel swapped vehicles be past a certain age (usually 70s)

The drive shaft angle for a dual boxes on a SWB vehicle with a 4l60e would leave much to be desired and in many set ups impossible.

But a 4l60e would allow me to drive my off road toy 85mph to the Moab...some 5 day trek, beat the crap out of it on the rocks and IF i dont destroy it i can drive all the way back home...if she'll fit (that's what she said)