Having a hell of a time with engine mount alignment, any help would be great

wonderwilley

TDI
02 Jetta 5spd
Ok so after my last timing belt job a month or two ago, I swapped both engine mounts and also the dog bone. I thought I had them All lined up right but when it was all back together I was having quite a bit of vibration from the engine. I’ve since tried to adjust the mounts and I seem to be making things worse. I think I’m pretty far out of spec now.

I’ve been supporting the engine with a floor jack and prying and pulling to get things lined up. Clearly this isn’t working, I think I’m kinda fighting the wheels on the floor jack. Would one of these be a better way to go?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Is there a good way to start over idk. Would I be better off pulling the dog bone off to get the side mounts lined up? I’m just fighting way too hard to set the engine in place before I tighten things up. I’m seriously loosing my mind here, been working on cars my whole life, 2 successful ALH timing belts under my belt and a ton more. Why is it go effing difficult for me to set a couple engine mounts idk. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I'm surprised that this is an issue. I never thought much about the alignment of the mounts. When I've done them in the past I used that exact support bar and didn't have any issues. I'm wondering if something else is going on? Anyway, where are you located? I have that bar you can borrow if you're anywhere near NH

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sdominguez

TDI
03 ALH Wagon
Do you have the correct trans side mount for your trans (auto/man)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdominguez

TDI
03 ALH Wagon
Sort of. ALH is the same for 4speed auto and 5 speed manual. The 5 speed auto (tiptronic) and 6 speed manual have different mounts

sdominguez

TDI
03 ALH Wagon
What’s your cars specs and where did you purchase the mounts, what’s their part number?

wonderwilley

TDI
02 Jetta 5spd
What’s your cars specs and where did you purchase the mounts, what’s their part number?

02 Jetta ALH 5spd

I can't find any info on the mounts I bought. They weren't expensive< I wanna say I got the set for about $140

sdominguez

TDI
03 ALH Wagon
It would be worth looking into and eliminating that chance before messing around with mechanics. What store or website did you buy them at?

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I've found when R&R engine or trans mounts to micro adjust (jacking up or lowering) the supporting jack until the side of the engine/trans bolt I'm working on, until it backs out easy/installs easier. It's a "feel" thing, when you have it supported properly, you will feel just the tension of the bolt coming out. It won't feel like your are about to strip it. THAT helps with alignment BIG time...

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Maybe the problem is not with the mounts, but unbalanced power from the four cylinders. Have you tried using VCDS and looking at measuring block 13 to see that all are within specs? Or the problem could be with a worn CV joint, sometime a worn joint does not show up until there is a slight change in the joint alignment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk