Remote unlock broke but everything works

tdiusermi

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Can you help me something affecting my 2003 Mark IV Jetta wagon TDI?

My key remote unlock button quit working. Both key remotes quit at the same time, so it's not a dead battery or button failure. Unlock buttons in the car door work fine. I hooked up VCDS-Lite and using the remote buttons shows bits flipping when I press the hatch and lock, but it does not show any response when using the unlock button. (Unrelated interesting observation - one of the remotes is "master" and overrides the other remote when differing buttons are pressed. ...just a fun fact I didn't know.)

It's not a remote dead battery because the other remote buttons work and both remotes quit at the same time.
It's not a broken remote button because both remotes failed on the same day.
It's not a dead RF receiver because the hatch and lock buttons work.
It's not mechanical door lock hardware or wires because the computer also agrees the button "isn't being pressed" and hardware/wires work fine with the interior mechanical switches on the car door.

What's left? It seems Something between the RF receiver and the computer is broken. Does anybody have insights about this part of my car? I'm a computer and radio guy, so throw your ideas at me! I'd love to have the unlock remote(s) work again.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Can you help me something affecting my 2003 Mark IV Jetta wagon TDI?

My key remote unlock button quit working. Both key remotes quit at the same time, so it's not a dead battery or button failure. Unlock buttons in the car door work fine. I hooked up VCDS-Lite and using the remote buttons shows bits flipping when I press the hatch and lock, but it does not show any response when using the unlock button. (Unrelated interesting observation - one of the remotes is "master" and overrides the other remote when differing buttons are pressed. ...just a fun fact I didn't know.)

It's not a remote dead battery because the other remote buttons work.
It's not a broken remote button because both remotes failed on the same day.
It's not a dead RF receiver because the hatch and lock buttons work.
It's not mechanical door lock hardware or wires because the computer also agrees the button "isn't being pressed" and hardware/wires work fine with the interior mechanical switches on the car door.

What's left? It seems Something between the RF receiver and the computer is broken. Does anybody have insights about this part of my car? I'm a computer and radio guy, so throw your ideas at me! I'd love to have the unlock remote(s) work again.
maybe the door latch switch broke? my car wont lock a door thats open. with the fob.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I would actually suggest trying a fresh remote battery in one of them first.

On one of my Jettas as the battery wears out the range of open becomes vastly different than the range for close... no idea why, but it's happened several times.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Might it be the convenience control module?

I'm interested in learning the solution for this. Please post back when you find a solution.

Cheers,

PH

tdiusermi

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Might it be the convenience control module?

I'm interested in learning the solution for this. Please post back when you find a solution.

Cheers,

PH

Still working on it. Alternator quit and stranded me, so that has taken my time for a while. Quote for new battery and alternator? $1320 ?!! I had to bring it home and do it myself.

tdiusermi

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
maybe the door latch switch broke? my car wont lock a door thats open. with the fob.

But the door latch switch does work using the buttons in the car door. Also, my car locks fine with or without the remote. It's only the unlock button(s) on all remotes that quit working.