HPFP or Lift Pump pending failure? Metallic sediment in fuel cannister.

Glo Way

TDI
2012 TDI MKVI Jetta Sportwagen
Hi All,
I have a TDI MKVI with a little over 100K miles. I purchased the vehicle with a little over 72K miles. I just changed the diesel filter and found a large amount of metallic sediment at the bottom of the cannister. The sediment is ferrous so it sticks to a magnet. Do you think this is a sign of any pending failures for the HPFP or Lift Pump? I saved the diesel that came out of the cannister, as well as the old filter and blue shop towels with the metallic sediment. Since I can't post a photo, I would describe the sediment as gray/black in color and very fine like baby powder. The sediment was bunched together in a couple areas as well as covering the majority of the bottom of the cannister bottom. The vehicle still has 20k miles remaining on the 48K mile emissions settlement warranty. I have ample photos for VW Group of America. Thanks for your opinions.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I don't think so. I have sediment like that or had and I have 120K on my junk so far. Keep the evidence just in case is what I would do like you are doing. Clean it out and if it keeps coming back then yeah drive until it blows up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk