2011 tdi Sportwagen seats vs 2006 tdi sedan

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Metallic Brown JSW w/Sunroof 6MT
So I test drove a 2011 sportwagen tdi today and to me it feels like the front seats have a little more cushion to them. Also, the suspension seemed to soak up the bumps a little better than my 2006 tdi...the salesman said the sportwagens have more sound dampening materials because it also sounded quieter on the road. In fact, it felt a bit more plush than my 2006 jetta........anyone else notice the differences who upgraded from an older jetta?

I will say the power was plentiful and came on more quickly i thought than my 1.9tdi.....i really like the amount of storage on the sportwagen which is why i am considering the upgrade. I am also looking at a mercedes e320 bluetec also as i want a more comfortable car for my commute to work.

I really like my 2006 as i have had 0 issues with it since new and only has 60k. But with a 110 mile daily commute i'd like something more quiet and for some reason to me the sportwagen was quieter than i thought considering i already have a jetta...

Dan

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Well hello fellow Fredericker. I guess it makes sense the MK6 JSW is more refined than the MK5. Newer generation, more refinement, makes sense to me. I also have a 100 mile daily roundtrip and I would not give up my 2010 Golf TDI. I love it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Well hello fellow Fredericker. I guess it makes sense the MK6 JSW is more refined than the MK5. Newer generation, more refinement, makes sense to me. I also have a 100 mile daily roundtrip and I would not give up my 2010 Golf TDI. I love it.
The problem with what you say is this.....the JSW is not really an A6.....
With the exception of the dash cluster, some electronics,the headlights and grill, it is an A5. The same car! suspension! Chassis! and in all actuality it is less refined than the 06! I know I have owned both.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
The problem with what you say is this.....the JSW is not really an A6.....
With the exception of the dash cluster, some electronics,the headlights and grill, it is an A5. The same car! suspension! Chassis! and in all actuality it is less refined than the 06! I know I have owned both.
Ok, if you are going to go here technically the MKVI is still a MKV, it has the same chassis, suspension as the MKV with different body panels, glass and interior. Less refined than on '06? I dunno what you mean here.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You dirve 100 miles a day and only have 60K on your 2006? New job? BTW there are many things you can do to your '06 that'll make it handle/sound better than the JSW for tons less than the new car payment/outright pruchase of new car.

I'd hold on to the '06!

Last edited:

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
You dirve 100 miles a day and only have 60K on your 2006? New job? BTW there are many things you can do to your '06 that'll make it handle/sound better than the JSW for tons less than the new car payment/outright pruchase of new car.

I'd hold on to the '06!
Agreed, if sound is your issue, I'd get the car dynamatted and perhaps some nice new recaros.

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
OP: Did you buy yet? I was at King in Gaithersburg a few weeks back for service and noticed they had a dozen JSW TDIs on the lot. Certainly more than that craphole off 40 in Frederick has, plus much better sales and service.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
OP: Did you buy yet? I was at King in Gaithersburg a few weeks back for service and noticed they had a dozen JSW TDIs on the lot. Certainly more than that craphole off 40 in Frederick has, plus much better sales and service.
Interesting. I have had nothing but good service at Fitzgerald.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i knew the sportwagen was going to come out in 2009 But I couldn't wait, so I went with the "07" but "06" tdi, bought it Summer of 2007 as a diesel edition.

There are a few reasons why I want to upgrade..

1. The sportwagen had a much quieter ride and seemed like a softer ride than the 06.
2. The seats felt more cushy than my firm 06.
3. the 66cu of storage space DUH!
4. I can keep my second set of rims and snow tires..:)
5. More power, more torque.
6. A warranty again

Now for my commute, I have changed jobs or location of my job a couple times. Twice I had a less than 10 mile commute for a while, and now I am back to a 53 mile each way commute... Also I own a motorcycle and put a lot of mile on that back and fourth to work on nice bearable days. For instance have had my new bike a year and have almost 10k on it.....

I am not concerned about payments, i bought the 06 in cash and with the money i get from the sale of my 06, will only aid in getting my new sportwagen paid off quick...

This will be a nice ride for someone when i sell it though..

Dan

I'd hold on to the '06!

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
I only stopped at the Frederick dealer once and test drove their passat and wagen but they didnt have many. When I am ready to buy i will shop around for sure. Just have not decided and for many other reasons I am itching to test drive an e320 diesel, though not for the more practical reasons as why I want the sportwagen....(car buyer confusion) :)

Dan

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting close to buying.....just trying to decide on which transmission and to find the right color combo. The seats in the JSW are much more comfy than the 2006....and it gives a quieter ride..

Spdmini

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
Getting close to buying.....just trying to decide on which transmission and to find the right color combo. The seats in the JSW are much more comfy than the 2006....and it gives a quieter ride..
I just traded my 2006 manual sedan in for a 12 DSG wagon and echo what you're saying. I think some comes from the 16 inch wheels on the JSW vs the 17s on the sedan.

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
What did they give you for your 2006? They only offered me 7k, so I am going to sell it out right.

Spdmini

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
Negative, I drove to Garland,TX Rusty Wallis VW. It was just about 4.5 hours from me in Fort Smith,AR.

oscillat0r

TDI
'12 JSW TDI
Negative, I drove to Garland,TX Rusty Wallis VW. It was just about 4.5 hours from me in Fort Smith,AR.
I bought my JSW there recently (drove from Austin). It was an amazingly painless experience and best price around by far. Totally recommend Mario to anyone whos looking.

In a more thread-related note - my previous VW was an 07 GTI and before that a 97 GTI. I think I liked my MkIII seats the best, however I drove both GTIs 1/2 way around the country with no problems.

While every car has been quieter and newer than the last, I don't think my driving enjoyment is necessarily any better. I sometimes wish I held onto my MkIII as a track car or whatever. And when I had my MkIII I wished I had held onto my Saab 900 turbo...

Spdmini

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
I bought my JSW there recently (drove from Austin). It was an amazingly painless experience and best price around by far. Totally recommend Mario to anyone whos looking.
I dealt with David and everything was as he said it would be. I drove to the dealership and about 90 minutes later I was on the way back home.

I am enjoying the updated steering wheel and touch screen much more than I anticipated.