09A Shifter problem

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The rubber segmented gasket around the shifter column has deteriorated into pieces. These pieces are causing 2 problems:

First, it is harder to shift into Drive
Second, the gear indications on the shifter no longer illuminate the correct gear, i.e. when I shift into reverse, the "N" is lit and when in drive the "4" is lit.

Can this be repaired without replacing the whole transmission? Ideally, I'd like to have just the gasket replaced but if that can't be done, then just replace the shifter assembly.

However, if the entire tranny has to be replaced, I'll see if I can just pull out the broken gasket pieces.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If I am understanding you correctly - the problem is at the shifter, inside the car. There is only a cable attaching that to the transmission itself so no worries about replacing the transmission.
I did some searching on ebay - I could find the mechanical portion of the shifter, along with the chrome bezel and the printed circuit board, but none of the listings had the segmented covering that keeps crap out of the shifter.
I went to VWs parts site and found this (I believe you need part #8, 1J0713273C):

For now - you should be able to remove the bezel and get rid of the pieces that are jamming up until you can find a replacement. FYI - make sure you get parts for the 5sp tiptronic since some other models in the same year had the 4sp. All golf/jetta/wagon shifters should be the same, regardless of TDI or not.
Googling that part number shows some new as low as $110

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I am understanding you correctly - the problem is at the shifter, inside the car. There is only a cable attaching that to the transmission itself so no worries about replacing the transmission.
I did some searching on ebay - I could find the mechanical portion of the shifter, along with the chrome bezel and the printed circuit board, but none of the listings had the segmented covering that keeps crap out of the shifter.
I went to VWs parts site and found this (I believe you need part #8, 1J0713273C):

For now - you should be able to remove the bezel and get rid of the pieces that are jamming up until you can find a replacement. FYI - make sure you get parts for the 5sp tiptronic since some other models in the same year had the 4sp. All golf/jetta/wagon shifters should be the same, regardless of TDI or not.
Googling that part number shows some new as low as $110
Thanks for the info. However, I suspect the "dust cover" that deteriorated is part of the bezel assembly as when I was feeling around there trying to free the jammed segments, I felt what might be the middle channel of part #8.

Which VW parts site did you use to locate the figure above?

Edit: I googled the part number you gave, and found a page that listed the bezel part number which I then googled. Under images I found this https://originalteilemarkt.de/abdeckung-1j1713109a-2815392 and it looks like the part that deteriorated is what is labeled #6. Further viewing of the google results led me to THIS part number at the Jim Ellis VW site: https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen-VW/Jetta/Cover-strip/5176709/1J0713277.html This MIGHT be what I'm looking for, but I'll have to have it confirmed by my local dealer.

Edit #2: FOUND IT! It is part number 1J07135982ZZ. Another Google result led me to this VW Vortex thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5024439-Rubber-guide-track-for-Automatic-shifter and that picture is what mine looks like (but in worse condition than the picture)

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Further viewing of the google results led me to THIS part number at the Jim Ellis VW site: https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen-VW/Jetta/Cover-strip/5176709/1J0713277.html This MIGHT be what I'm looking for, but I'll have to have it confirmed by my local dealer.
Edit #2: FOUND IT! It is part number 1J07135982ZZ. Another Google result led me to this VW Vortex thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5024439-Rubber-guide-track-for-Automatic-shifter and that picture is what mine looks like (but in worse condition than the picture)
The part shown in the jim ellis link is for a 4sp auto. I would expect that it's different than your 5sp auto "tip" The ECS link in the vwvortex thread does look correct, but seems very expensive compared to what I saw yesterday. I just googled vw parts fiche and used the first one that came up to find 1J0713273C :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The part shown in the jim ellis link is for a 4sp auto. I would expect that it's different than your 5sp auto "tip" The ECS link in the vwvortex thread does look correct, but seems very expensive compared to what I saw yesterday. I just googled vw parts fiche and used the first one that came up to find 1J0713273C :)
The one on ECS I found I can get from 1stVWParts for $147.60 +shipping. The list price is $205.00.

I was able to pull out one segment so hopefully the shifter won't jam going into drive. I'm going to try and find other prices for the part then see how close my local dealer can price match.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, shifter is repaired. Turns out you have to remove the whole center console; just removing the shift knob and the chrome bezel wasn't enough.