2002 Jetta TDI turbo cuts out??? Need Guru

TreasureLife

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Wagon 5-speed
I'm pretty new to the diesel scene. I've own my 2002 TDI Jetta wagon for a little over 2 years now. It had a rebuilt top end and timing belt done just before I bought it. I love this car! Only had miner problems out of "Gretta".

Ever since I owned it it's started hard if below 45 degrees F. I lived in Montana until recently so that was every morning. I changed glow-plugs, temp sensor, tested harness and changed the relay. Nothing helped. I installed a FrostHeater and as long as I plug it in starts great. Or now living in middle Tennessee I've had no problems. So my first question is does anyone have any ideas?

Now for my most important issue needing solved!!!

Turbo cuts out when I push it. Check engine light comes on and no more turbo.
I turn off and restart, boom it's back. I've done some research and sounds like it's going into limp-mode. I found info leading me to try changing my N75 valve which I did and still same symptoms. I plan on ordering new vacuum lines just to rule that out but would really like some input. I hate throwing parts at it guessing.

How do I find a local VW GURU with vag-com that might help point me in the right direction??

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I would start with checking the timing for the starting issue and the TC actuator for the limp mode.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
For the hard starting, [1] check the injection timing. You'll need vag-com for that. If that checks ok, then [2] compression test.

Also agree with your symptom and research.... having the condition re-set by shutting the engine off and re-starting is often a good way to confirm it was limp mode.

If you haven't read this one already, it's a "must read"....
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409251

Wish you all the best.