Test_subj

TDI
2010 JSW
Year: 2010
Build date: ~October 2009
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Wagon
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 87,402
Diesel Fuel Source: Various. I was on the end of a tank of USA indie diesel when it died.
Additives: ~7 mo ago I put some cold weather additive in when in MT/Canada.
Problem: Flashing plugs light, loss of power. Turned it off and on again and it ran ok for ~5 minutes (just enough to get on the freeway) then the same. Turned it off again and it didn't come back.
Dealer: Santa Monica VW
Status: Towed it in on Monday. When I got there, as soon as I said code 87, he said it was likely the HPFP. Had heard nothing after several calls to them by Tuesday night so I went in to ask. Apparently they verified the code and immediately went to VW for auth to cover it. VW said yes and they're waiting on parts. They're going to call VW back to see if they'll cover the rental car.

(Filed a report with NHTSA on Sunday)

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Don't back down. Call customer care. Explain you will be filing NHTSA report. Get evidence of the shavings from the HPFP. Get a fuel sample if you can. Don't back down and keep the pressure up!

Agreed, continue to apply pressure. Make sure you open a case and then get in direct contact with the regional mgr for your area. HPFP with more mileage then yours have been covered.......

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I was referring to the CR TDI, which fall under the same umbrella in this case. The A3 is included in the NHTSA's investigation.

With regards to the A3 specifically, I can not tell you the highest mileage failed pump replaced out of warranty.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I was referring to the CR TDI, which fall under the same umbrella in this case. The A3 is included in the NHTSA's investigation.

With regards to the A3 specifically, I can not tell you the highest mileage failed pump replaced out of warranty.
If it's like VW Canada, it will be 80,000 km. Beyond that it takes appreciable screaming to get even partial reimbursement. Mine was replaced at 92k km, and I had to pay either 1/3 for a reman pump or 1/2 for a new one. I chose the latter. They didn't replace the rest of the fuel system as it hadn't "failed" but was making metal in the filter.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
..."R/R Pump 03L 130851AX,"...

Does anyone know if the above P/N# high pressure fuel pump is NEW or reman ed?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
The "X" in the PN means "remanufactured".
Thanks. Now it makes a tad more sense as the invoice indicated 2 additional line items:

Core charge: CORE 03L130851AX

Core CORE (SPECIAL TOOL)

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
If it's like VW Canada, it will be 80,000 km. Beyond that it takes appreciable screaming to get even partial reimbursement. Mine was replaced at 92k km, and I had to pay either 1/3 for a reman pump or 1/2 for a new one. I chose the latter. They didn't replace the rest of the fuel system as it hadn't "failed" but was making metal in the filter.
Well VWOA has demonstrated that they are handling this issue differently then VW of Canada.

I would not expect difference from Audi, they might have a smaller sample of failures simply for the fact that there are far more Golf/GSW/Jetta TDI vehicles running around that have experienced a HPFP failure.

Jll22

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportswagon
Fuel pump failure

Year: 2013, purchased January 2013
Make: Jetta Sportwagon
Mileage: 18,362
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, Arco, Chevron
Dealer: Mossy VW El Cajon, CA

Driving on to the on ramp, engine sputtered and died, yellow coil light illuminated. Had to get towed to dealer. All under warranty.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I have contacted Kroger on this issue since the dealer was making the accusation that they had misfueled their bulk tanks. They have contacted me from the corporate office on the matter and I gave them all the details I had. The lady was skeptical since VAG decided to cover it but said they would call me back anyway--said she was gonna talk to the station and try to tie together any other claims (if any).

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
Year: 2011
Build Date: Not Sure
Make/Model: VW Jetta
Tranny: Manual
Mileage: 49,950
Diesel Fuel Source: Arco
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: Mossy El Cajon
Status: Dealer is fixing everything and gave me a loaner free of charge.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Year: 2009
Build Date: ? Purchased brand new, fresh off the boat in Sept 2008
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 63,500
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Shell
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) told HPFP failed. I asked if the rest of the system was damaged by metal,was told no. However, when the pump was replaced and car put back together, it wouldn't start. Was told they're tearing it back into it Monday to "check the timing". I told them to check the rails, injectors,lines, tank, etc etc. We'll see.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Momentum VW of Jersey Village (Houston)
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) repair still underway. As of Friday, dealer stated VW was covering issue. I have gold plus ext warranty that should cover most, if not all, if VW renegs.

Last edited:

Whiteboy84

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
09 Jetta TDI.

Does anyone know if this Vin falls in the typical range of jettas with the fuel pump failure?

3VWAL71K49M009831

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think if your car has a HPFP, then it falls within range. I got a return call from Kroger, they said no other claims at my suspect stations and not to hold on to my fuel--they didn't have enough evidence to warrant an investigation. I took a small road trip yesterday and returned home with 5 miles to empty on the MFID. I put 5 gallons of that suspect fuel in with some Optilube. Drove 80 miles today, no issues.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
09 Jetta TDI.

Does anyone know if this Vin falls in the typical range of jettas with the fuel pump failure?

3VWAL71K49M009831
VINs are meaningless for this issue. Seems to be random within the CR engines and hpfp used from the 09 and on Jetta/Golf/JSW/A3 models. Seems to be fewer failures on the newer cars.

Whiteboy84

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
VINs are meaningless for this issue. Seems to be random within the CR engines and hpfp used from the 09 and on Jetta/Golf/JSW/A3 models. Seems to be fewer failures on the newer cars.
I was thinking that the last several digits of the VIN indicate the order that the car came off of the assembly line, thus giving you an idea of when it was built or if it had earlier parts or revised parts.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The only range of affected VINs is "all of them".

There is no known correllation between VIN and any sort of "update" to the pump. While we know there have been updates, there have never been firm build dates or VIN numbers to which these updates were applied. Perhaps VW has this information internally, but it has never been released.

Remember, in VW's mind, all these failures are the owner's fault for mis-fueling the car with gasoline, and there has never been a problem with the HPFP, the updates to the pump are purely coincidental :)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The only range of affected VINs is "all of them".

There is no known correllation between VIN and any sort of "update" to the pump. While we know there have been updates, there have never been firm build dates or VIN numbers to which these updates were applied. Perhaps VW has this information internally, but it has never been released.

Remember, in VW's mind, all these failures are the owner's fault for mis-fueling the car with gasoline, and there has never been a problem with the HPFP, the updates to the pump are purely coincidental :)
I wonder about the updates. VW remanufactures failed pumps. Are there different part numbers? A pump with an X at the end of the PN is remanufactured. VW warranty apparently only pays for reman pumps. Do they incorporate changes in the reman process?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From what has been posted here or in other threads, I don't remember that the part number changed. There have been some remaned pumps and those part numbers end with an "X".

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
A long time ago I gave a lot people on this site s..t about the HPFP issues. In the end; when many here pretty much told me to go f..k myself and I disappeared. But I did say if I should ever have a problem with the HPFP in my 2010 Jetta TDI I would not hide the fact and post it here.
Well last Sunday about a mile from my home the car went into limp mode. Hoping to make it home I continued on my way. About a quarter further down the road while waiting at the light the car just quit. Stuck in the center of a six lane street I pushed my wife to the curb, opened the hood and waited for some a..h... to slam into the back of the car. No one did and a couple of guys offered to push the car out of the way (nice folks). After getting towed to the dealer and leaving the car I was notified yesterday the car's HPFP blew................but not to worry............VW is footing the bill. There is 63 thousand miles on the car. As for fuel 99.9 percent of all the diesel used was from three companies; 76, Chevron and Shell. It's NOT the fuel.......the pump is a sh.ty design, period.

So there you have it. Hit me with your best shot. I said I would report it and I did. Hopefully the new pump has been designed to get rid of the problem. Anyone here 'REALLY' know and not just guessing?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
A long time ago I gave a lot people on this site s..t about the HPFP issues. In the end; when many here pretty much told me to go f..k myself and I disappeared. But I did say if I should ever have a problem with the HPFP in my 2010 Jetta TDI I would not hide the fact and post it here.
Well last Sunday about a mile from my home the car went into limp mode. Hoping to make it home I continued on my way. About a quarter further down the road while waiting at the light the car just quit. Stuck in the center of a six lane street I pushed my wife to the curb, opened the hood and waited for some a..h... to slam into the back of the car. No one did and a couple of guys offered to push the car out of the way (nice folks). After getting towed to the dealer and leaving the car I was notified yesterday the car's HPFP blew................but not to worry............VW is footing the bill. There is 63 thousand miles on the car. As for fuel 99.9 percent of all the diesel used was from three companies; 76, Chevron and Shell. It's NOT the fuel.......the pump is a sh.ty design, period.

So there you have it. Hit me with your best shot. I said I would report it and I did. Hopefully the new pump has been designed to get rid of the problem. Anyone here 'REALLY' know and not just guessing?
I'm pretty sure VW is guessing..... Oh wait. :cool:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Please make sure you report it to the NHTSA and inform them of the dangerous position you were put in when the pump failed.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012

GTIDan, I was one that gave you a hard time about your position on the failures. This is my first post since I sold my car in Dec. 2012 at about 70 k miles. Even with a new HPFP at 44 k miles, I didn't (and still don't) trust VW to continue to cover these failures forever as I would have normally kept the car for around 175 k miles (more age than mileage related consideration).

Has your failure changed your thinking about keeping the car? Anyways, good luck in the future with your TDI. IMO, the design is faulty (shoe and roller allowed to rotate in bore) and VW can only do so much with that design.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After getting towed to the dealer and leaving the car I was notified yesterday the car's HPFP blew................but not to worry............VW is footing the bill. There is 63 thousand miles on the car. As for fuel 99.9 percent of all the diesel used was from three companies; 76, Chevron and Shell. It's NOT the fuel.......the pump is a sh.ty design, period.

Sorry to hear that you had a failure but glad that you "manned-up" and posted it. I just passed 68K on my JSW and am hoping that I don't have to make a post like this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
GTIDan and Plus 3 Golfer: I participated in those early conversations. There was a lot of heat generated, but hey, we're all in this together...or some of us are, at least.

Did/do either of you guys use additives? I can't remember which side y'all took in the discussion about additives. I'm at 79k on the JSW, using OptiLube XPD diligently. Recently moved to Ft. Worth, TX, (HOT!) trying to find the best fuel here.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If my new pump can hang on till the TB service, I think I might just replace it as I would the water pump. Would love for cost to come down though.