Vendor Accountability Thread

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
He's changing his username so he has to update everything. We deleted all his threads per his request. He will start posting again when he has his new username sorted out and when we update his vendor profile to reflect that.

:)

Anybody know what happened to vdubkey website non functioning and all threads are gone?

cparagone

TDI
2005.5 jetta 2002 Golf GLS
He's changing his username so he has to update everything. We deleted all his threads per his request. He will start posting again when he has his new username sorted out and when we update his vendor profile to reflect that.

:)
thanks for the update

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
issues with dual upgrade valve springs from shortysclimibin

hate to do this, never had to do this before with anyone on here... but here goes:

has anyone installed the dual valve spring "upgrade" from shortysclimbin in an early AHU head that had dual valve springs from the factory? as i now understand, there was a vin-split for the AHU, early ones had dual valve springs, later ones had ALH style. i did not know this prior to buying them, and over the phone, kyle mentioned nothing of this, nor seemed to be aware of when i told him my head already had dual valve springs, and said that they fit all AHU heads..

after first looking at techtonics, autotech, etc for springs, i decided to go with shortysclimbin since he was a club vendor (whom i generally like to support), somewhat local, and these springs were supposedly a more "tuned" for a tdi upgrade.

i would like to know if anyone has had any issues with these springs, specifically in an early AHU head, or any other head for that matter. were there issues setting the seat pressure to 70lbs? did these springs actually seem like an upgrade capable of "50 psi boost" and 12mm lift? my machine shop seems to think this is very far fetched, and didn't seem to think they would have been much of an upgrade at all, even if they could get them to fit with 70lbs on the seat as kyle and others suggest. 115lbs on the seat was about as low as possible they said i could get with these.

so when i got the first call back from the shop, saying these springs won't fit properly, i get worried. it's not their first "vw head" either. they've done the 1z -> ahu head conversion on a friend of mines car, with no issues whatsoever with 034 motorsport springs. car runs flawless. anyway...

i called kyle (difficult to get a hold of). he wanted this and that number, etc, and i suggested he take a minute to talk to with the machine shop directly to see if there was something being missed, and they could more easily give him the specific measurements in question that might be the problem, rather than me relay these specifics, since i just don't know enough about all the various measurements in the head to be a useful middleman here. he gave a rather lame excuse to not talk to the machine shop (who were more than willing to take the time to talk to kyle), although he did seem interested to know for "future customers" if there was a problem. i haven't found anyone on the forums with an issue with these...

does anyone know why these springs would not fit? valve cover rail to spring pad is 2.839" (72mm) is one measurement the shop gave me.

so not being a machine shop myself, and not really getting any help from kyle, i gave up, and wanted to return them and just go with the half-the-price and proven 034 motorsport 16v springs. kyle really didn't seem to keen on returning them. but said he would take them back but no refund on shipping (fine) and a 20% restock fee. also kinda lame but at this point i don't really care.

so ~10days after i sent the springs back out USPS priority, he finally gets back to me and says i didn't include the upper retainers..

i am quite positive the springs never came with upper retainers, only the "special" lower ones that can be trimmed. i specifically remember only 2 bags of springs and 1 bag of what i now know to be the lower retainers.. previous to this, i had never had seen a head apart, retainers etc in person, so i didn't really notice if something were missing in the box, which i opened just prior to bringing to the machine shop to take a look at the goods. saw a couple bags of springs and bag of retainer things, i figured this was what i was supposed to have been sent. called the machine shop back, they never saw them. only had the package on my desk for a half-day before bringing it to the shop and have looked everywhere just to make sure i wasn't mistaken.

anyway, that's where i am yet. waiting again for kyle to respond, but he's adamant he sent the upper retainers, and i'm adamant they were never in the box (now that i realize what they look like). at best, it seems like i *might* get back $100 out of the $210 i paid for springs i returned, since i don't have the upper retainers, which from the picture, look just like stock dual-valve spring ahu upper retainers?

this can be moved to vendor accountability or wherever else. originally i was only going to ask about fitment, but decided might as well lay everything out to get the complete picture.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Not wanting to start mud slinging etc but I had the same thing when I wanted to return the oversize PD valves that no-one has actually fitted and used to my knowledge.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
nobody seems to be saying much, but i've already (and prior to this thread) talked to a couple people privately with the almost exact same problems/issues.. (they seem to have already washed their hands of the matter) and who gave up like i did. oh well, must be a conspiracy lol. not like the first time i've been burned, but it's very annoying. being burned by a straight out scammer is one thing... of course, no word from kyle yet on any sort. i know he's logged into gmail and has seen my emails...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
kyle. just send me those pieces of **** springs back, charge my credit card for the $5.35 if you want you ****ING DICK. no emails, no phone calls back. i have yet to find anyone who has anything good to say about your ****.. time flies when it takes you days to respond to anything, and i never thought you were the type of guy i would have to resort to paypal claims with, but the 45 days has passed. so **** me. i still have an option with my bank when they open tomorrow, or you could settle this like a decent human being... but wait, you're some awesome engineer who can sell $200 engine mount brackets..

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
kyle. just send me those pieces of **** springs back, charge my credit card for the $5.35 if you want you ****ING DICK. no emails, no phone calls back. i have yet to find anyone who has anything good to say about your ****.. time flies when it takes you days to respond to anything, and i never thought you were the type of guy i would have to resort to paypal claims with, but the 45 days has passed. so **** me. i still have an option with my bank when they open tomorrow, or you could settle this like a decent human being... but wait, you're some awesome engineer who can sell $200 engine mount brackets..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i am. i would be less mad if i got scammed straight out for more money.

love the pic, lol

at this point, since he has no desire to refund any money whatsoever - that much is obvious, i just want the springs back and i'll donate them to anyone who wants to test them out. kind of unlikely to happen, but i can dream...

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Re: Vdub - I'm guessing they got a nicely worded letter about the name. Good product though! Glad to see them come back!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well, apparently throwing an internet tantrum is the only way to resolve issues sometimes :rolleyes:

kyle quietly refunded me most of the money ($157), so i'm only out $65 or so + a bunch of time/hassle. better than nothing i guess...

but of course, no email or any contact with any sort of acknowledgement of fitment issues. buyer beware :rolleyes:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ie sent kyle (shortysclimbing) a few messages so far regarding thr pd inconel valves, how they dont fit as described, and that id like to return them. Ive recieved no response yet....

He has emailed me back. Im going to remeasure with my machinist and verify dimensions.

UPDATE:
Communications were timley, and ive returned and been refunded for the valves.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
It's OK. He can just disappear for a year or two and show back up on the club with a new screen name. It's not like we have any legal recourse around here. TDIClub is so full of happy and helpful fish... it's difficult to tell when you're talking to a shark.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Talk to them on Wednesday and am told that "the computer lied about our inventory". Is it on backorder from the supplier or not in stock like you said it was? Do you actually stock these items?

I might give ECS another shot if I need parts from them in the future as I understand that an inventory mistake can happen, however they won't be the first place I'll look.

On contrast - I called IDParts and placed an order with them on the same Monday morning as well. The parts I ordered (twice as many) showed up on Thursday as scheduled, no hassles, no silly policies, no gimics - parts were in stock, shipped same day, received on time. About as un-frustrating as it gets. The only frustrating thing (in hindsight) is that IDParts didn't sell the parts that ECS did.
This is good to know as someone who does research before buying items, especially big ticket ones. In the next year I'll be buying a turbo, clutch, and a few other items and will keep this in mind. I am grateful for this thread since I prefer to deal with those places that minimize the 'hassle factor'.

I bought a suspension from Aaron at BoraParts and his computer said he had one in stock, but he went to verify it in person and found it was not. He then found the parts to make up a complete kit and shipped it all to me at no extra cost, in less time than was stated on the website. It could have been a fiasco but he turned it aorund into something positive that will garner him more repeat business. I'll definitely order from him again in the future because of it.

I have dealt with IDParts for many years and they are great people. I had one snafu (technical term) and they corrected it immediately. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and I'm sure the part missing from the kit wasn't their fault. It's why I still order from them today. I know from personal experience they can get items not listed on their website, just give Peter or Corey a call and ask them about it. You'll be pleased at how accomodating they are.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
MJM Autohaus

See this thread for MJM Autohaus customer service.
They have a long way to go before they should be considered by anyone on the tdiclub.

MJM Autohaus

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
See this thread for MJM Autohaus customer service.
They have a long way to go before they should be considered by anyone on the tdiclub.
All because we could not substitute a higher priced belt for you in a kit at the same price. We apologize that two different brand belts cost more from the manufacturer and that we cannot extend that price to you, yet you feel that this makes us an "inferior" vendor. Shame on you, and if our 'customer service' is based on the fact that we cannot control manufacturer pricing, then we wholeheartedly agree, we have a long way to go. Kinda curious if you also walk in to area restaurants and ask if can have the rib-eye can be substituted for the burger at no additional cost? According to your post on that page you linked, you would and you'd judge that business on such. Interesting.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
All because we could not substitute a higher priced belt for you in a kit at the same price. We apologize that two different brand belts cost more from the manufacturer and that we cannot extend that price to you, yet you feel that this makes us an "inferior" vendor. Shame on you, and if our 'customer service' is based on the fact that we cannot control manufacturer pricing, then we wholeheartedly agree, we have a long way to go. Kinda curious if you also walk in to area restaurants and ask if can have the rib-eye can be substituted for the burger at no additional cost? According to your post on that page you linked, you would and you'd judge that business on such. Interesting.
This has nothing to do with the belt substitution request, and everything to do with the lack of customer service attitude repeatedly displayed by you and others at MJM as evidenced by that link.

MJM Autohaus

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
This has nothing to do with the belt substitution request, and everything to do with the lack of customer service attitude repeatedly displayed by you and others at MJM as evidenced by that link.
Of course it has to do with that - you said it yourself. Did you not read your own post that you linked above? You asked us if we could swap out an existing belt for a *higher* priced belt in a timing belt kit without charging the difference, much like asking for a baked potato over green beens in meal and not pay the difference. We told you we couldn't, and now we're here. Nobody was rude to you that day, nobody asked you to not come into our store again, we didn't show you a "lack of customer service" by telling you that we could not do that without charging you the difference. We told you, like we tell a good amount of ALH guys (we get asked a lot), that no, we're sorry, but you'd have to pay the difference. You know this and we know this...

The deal here now, however, is very transparent in that it's no longer really about being told you'd have to pay the difference for the higher priced belt, but rather that now you're being called on it and feel a tad silly because of it now. The "customer service" we gave you was just fine at the time you made your purchase (and you said that). There isn't a shortage in customer service when an establishment tells you that they cannot substitute a higher priced part and the customer not be charged the difference. Again, you're just perturbed now because we're not backing down from our stand about how extremely trivial, if not completely, unwarranted this siliness is. I think you'd be the first person to have the audacity to post a 'negative review' about a company based on the fact that they wouldn't give you free parts. Like I said, however, I think we both know it's because you were called on it and our response to the ridiculousness of your post. The fact that you decided to post in this particular thread solidifies that, as you purchased the kit years ago. Why put it here now? Like I said...