Audio Wiring system - adding a sub amp.

jdonelson

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I'd like to add a small subwoofer to the audio system of my 2006.5 Jetta TDI. With the advent of speaker-level inputs to the amplifiers, this is FAR easier than in the "good old days", especially since I don't have to replace the head unit to get RCA connectivity (I like that free satellite tuner :)). However, in the good old days when the back speakers were on the back dash, it was fairly easy to get at them. However, with the speakers in the doors, they're significantly harder to get at. Does anyone have any suggestions for the easiest place to find the speaker wire to splice into? I can run the power cable myself no problem.

Thanks!

Canadianram

TDI
2001 Jetta
I would never suggest running a sub with high level imputs. The power loss might lead to amp overheating or poor sound quailty. New head units with sub outputs are cheap if you don't get flashey add ons. I picked up a sony head unit for under $100 with sub outputs. The head unit allows me to control all three levels of sound. There is a little more wiring required but the sound quailty is great.

cage

Top Post Dawg
You can totally use the speaker level inputs. Mine has been that way for years and the sound is great. I have a Bazooka powered sub.
I have a Beetle so while in there replacing the rear speakers I spliced in wires to run to the trunk.
As far as the Jetta goes, you might need to remove the trim on the door pillar to splice into the wires.

jdonelson

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Cage, are there docs on this site that might help me get those door pillar panels off? I'm a little wary of hacking away at my brand-new baby :).

Thanks.

cage

Top Post Dawg
? your car is so I'm not sure.
I'm sure it pops off after you remove the rubber stripping or something.
I wonder if the library would have the Chiltons yet?

cage

Top Post Dawg
Duh! That last statement made sense. (thats what you get talking on the phone and replying at the same time.
I meant to say that your car is so new that I'm not sure if that info would be on this site yet.