www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old Yesterday, 11:36   #901
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel7 View Post
Can you fill to the top of the filler neck on the Passats?
Yes Sir!

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09   #902
IXLR8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo1711 View Post
Are you folks with 50+ for real? I'm quite happy with my 2013 M6 but since the beginning, I've been getting ~36 mpg no matter what I do, city or highway, unless I super-baby the throttle on a long highway trip, coasting down freeway hills, etc, in which case I get ~40-41. Is it my vehicle or are folks exaggerating here? (I assume not).....
I know I am for real, I don't think I have ever seen below 45mpg. 90% of my driving is on the highway, at the speed limit. High speed kills... your mpg's, low temps kill your mpg's, stop-n-go kills your mpg's. I also run my tire pressure at 38psi. I am the only one who fills my car, I do find that my mileage is still improving with 60K miles on the car. In the winter my snow tires kill 3-4 mpg's. All my fillups are posted in my fuelly account.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:27   #903
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo1711 View Post
Are you folks with 50+ for real? I'm quite happy with my 2013 M6 but since the beginning, I've been getting ~36 mpg no matter what I do, city or highway, unless I super-baby the throttle on a long highway trip, coasting down freeway hills, etc, in which case I get ~40-41. Is it my vehicle or are folks exaggerating here? (I assume not).....
I'm for real, but I'll clarify that my best tanks have been in the low 50s and are more commonly in the mid-high 40s. My lifetime average (23k miles) is 46.7MPG based on fuel receipts, and that's with me driving ~74 highway miles every day. I usually do >50MPG on my long highway commute, but shorter trips result in MUCH lower mileage. If you check fuelly you'll see there are plenty of people with mileage like yours, so don't despair. Also, check that you're looking at the right average consumption--if you hit the OK button you'll toggle between average over past 9,999 miles or during the current drive. If you're only getting up to 40 MPG on a long highway drive, that may be the longer average (which actually varies a lot more on the MFI than is realistic if actually looking back over 10k miles).
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:59   #904
Timbo1711

TDI(s): None

Thanks for all the comments. The only fuel consumption indications I watch are the ODO and the gals at the fuel pump, then divide. In 21k miles I've calc'ed and recorded all but 2 tanks. Sweet spot 36-38. One thing that has bothered is some ignition miss in the first 10 minutes partic when moisture is high, and temp is cool. It's really subtle....can barely feel it, mainly at lower RPMs with no throttle pressure. It's made me wonder whether its impacting mileage. Dealer said it might be turbo warming up. Anyone felt that miss?
Timbo1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:21   #905
shrifty
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: So far somewhere between 45 and 60.

To throw in my .02, I have seen mileage numbers in the mid-upper 40s at speeds toward the 80ish range on several long distance trips. Best ever was 60mpg with considerable effort, but traveling around the speed limit it isn't uncommon to get around 50 mpg. I can't comment on city driving as I rarely do it, almost all of my driving is highway with light traffic.
shrifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:26   #906
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Thumbs up

With a little extra attention to conditions you can see better mpgs city than highway......

If you watch traffic conditions not to over accelerate just to have to slam on brakes.

If you get into the highest gear possible sooner than later, at speeds above 35-38 mph when terrain allows(~1,100 rpms or higher if no acceleration is required).

Light throttle, give time to accelerate to desired speed. Especially when the engine is cold which is when they use the most fuel. Skip gears not needed and get into high gear & stay there as much as conditions allow....

Don't push the thing up the hill, allow your speed to slow slightly while going up a grade.

Along with using N on down grades as much as conditions allow as fuel if you have terrain of a few hills you can see much higher mpgs city than during sustained higher highway speeds. Many times you can use a pulse of energy then let gravity get you up to the speed limit(up to your desired speed) saving fuel.

I have ~38 years of records in all kinds of gasoline and diesel powered offerings to prove that the above allows maximum mpgs to be seen on city/urban tanks......

I had to get a full size chevy pickup a recently and using the above techniques I was able to push mpgs up to 17 to around 20 running around the urban area. Talking to the previous owner the way he drove it over the last decade or so it would have been 11-13 mpgs maximum if he clocked those miles the way he drove.......