St. Louis Is Finalizing A Proposal for TDIFest 2014

Will you attend TDIFest IN St. Louis in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
This hasn't happened yet?
apparently not I just hope it stays in MO it's not that far of a drive for me but if it moves I might not be able to make it and that would suck. I will have my TDI 2 years on that Monday and have never been to a fest

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Okay everyone, my appologies, I back from the dead now. :eek: Sorry sorry sorry again. My excuse is this last week/end was Mardi-Gras here in St. Louis, and it is about the most massive taxi holiday event of the year. My company needed me and I sure needed the money. It's been just sleep and drive for me for days. I logged 1400+ miles, half of it in icy conditions over 56 hours inside a 68 hour period at one point.

But enough of that. I dare not pop in here without the proposal submitted, so after I recovered I jammed on that for a few hours and have now sent it in. I know some of you are stressing and I feel the pressure too. I wish to assure everyone I will be dedicating necessary chunks of time and concentration to enact a sucessful event, and expect swift and productive progress on our project now that this stage (the official proposing) is complete. :)

Proper updates when applicable promised.

Now I'm off to field my PMs.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Welcome back DZ. Count your blessings that you're not a taxi driver in New Orleans…:eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Dozenspeed just sent the proposal to Fred and I for review... thanks! Now to see what Fred has to say. I'm sure he'll have quite a bit of feedback and follow up questions, but the ball is rolling! :cool:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Dozenspeed just sent the proposal to Fred and I for review... thanks! Now to see what Fred has to say. I'm sure he'll have quite a bit of feedback and follow up questions, but the ball is rolling! :cool:
Great to hear!

Truckeratlarge

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 97, white
I will for sure be there. Might even bring the whole family this time.. altho or van isnt a tdi...

if not the whole fam, Ill see if My sweet wife would like to attend again. I think that she had fun last year. and might be up for it again. :)
Maybe ya could find one of the old Rialta Winnebago vans!!!

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
Hi guys, looking forward to the TDI Fest. This will be my first one. St.Louis should be a great location for it. it sure works for me as I am only a hundred miles away. There is a lot to see and do around St.Louis.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello. I hope this doesn't come off as negative. It's just a question. This is happening much later than in the past. Is it possible that the TDIFest is losing its luster? Are people losing interest?

Again, I don't mean to toss stones. Times are changing and I'm curious to know if people think the TDIFest (and other events) are pulling back a tad. :(

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hello. I hope this doesn't come off as negative. It's just a question. This is happening much later than in the past. Is it possible that the TDIFest is losing its luster? Are people losing interest?

Again, I don't mean to toss stones. Times are changing and I'm curious to know if people think the TDIFest (and other events) are pulling back a tad. :(

I would say no the last year Fest we had a good turn out. We had around 200 people about 100 cars. VeeDub has the true numbers.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Last year was my first Fest, so I have nothing to compare it to, but as MonsterTDI09 said there was a good turnout. It would be interesting, though, if someone who has access to attendance numbers can identify a trend.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

The past couple of years have been incredibly successful. If anything, I would say that it is getting more difficult to find people willing to take on the challenge of hosting and planning the event due to its increase in scope and attendance. It's a bittersweet growth and definitely presents challenges moving forward. Fortunately, those challenges come with very big rewards, both financially for the club and socially for our members. :) :cool:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI

Well no one from our planning committee has ever done a Fest before. So while we are actively in the planning stages, how much information you want from us every step of the way is unknown. Our group of 6 is very positive about the success of the fest and we know everyone will have a good time. That being said, again, none of us have ever been to a fest so we are trying to plan something we have never seen. So the time schedule we are running on is one we are just guessing at. I am of the opinion that everything is going great on our end. So, let us know what you want to hear from us. Meeting minutes? A step by step of the Fest we are planning? Let us know. :)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Personally, I'm not looking for those details. What I meant is the venue is often announced prior to Thanksgiving or Christmas. The details are ironed out afterwards as the planning team brings to life what was contained within their approved proposal.

There was a time when Fred chose from a list of proposed locations based on the merit of the organizers' plans. The winning bidder's plan was often shared in the forum, sometimes in the form of a PPT, in the fall. Eventually, the planning method appeared to be the same team planning Fests based on where they could provide a good event at a location we've never done but still close enough for them to manage (leaning eastward). This time, it appears (from my limited perspective) that no one stepped forward until one group finally said, "Okay, no one's making a plan, so let's DO THIS." The delay just left me wondering if the Fest had lost its luster.

I think it's great that you're bringing new blood to the TDIFest adventure. I wish you all the best! STL is on the edge of being too far for me to just go. The Fests I've attended in the past (Boston, Dulles, Lexington) were all within an easy drive which required no time off and the ability to get my daughter home for the first day of school. I want to go. I just cannot make the plan to go until the event is closer, I know what's in store and what I want to miss (leave daughter home to stay for Awards Banquet). Those are all personal challenges for ME... not you. :) I hope everything comes together for a great TDIFest!

Good Luck,

Scott

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Scott,

I want you to know I was inquiring about a very nice venue as early as last September. We got bogged down by waiting for certain clearences from the venue, lack of response for repeated contacting, too much patience on my part apparently, and finally an unapologetic notice that we were booked out from under well after the fact. This put us at square one, and it was a scramble to find a replacement venue that fit our needs for that weekend. But now we have and we should be able to make the most of it as these folks seem more experienced and capable of hosting our event. :)

Excelsior! :cool:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Labor Day weekend is still the plan, yes? Also, are we sure on the precise dates? I would imagine that these details aren't final until Fred has approved the proposal. I very much want to go, but with a 2 day drive each way, I'm awaiting details for requesting the time off.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
To the group: Fred and I had a great conference call with Dozenspeed last night. We're looking forward to this. :)

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Count me in

Hope this goes forward. While I look forward to the long drives. This should still be great. They have so e interesting ideas.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
does anybody know the exact location this is going to be held at? I would just like to figure out how long it will take to drive there and also what is around there I plan to arrive on Thursday and do some sightseeing and would like to know where I will be staying :D I just like to be prepared

Mark

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
does anybody know the exact location this is going to be held at? I would just like to figure out how long it will take to drive there and also what is around there I plan to arrive on Thursday and do some sightseeing and would like to know where I will be staying :D I just like to be prepared

Mark
It hasn't been officially announced yet, but zip code 63127 will get you close enough for an idea and planning purposes. :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I Googled Zip Code 62137 by mistake and got Coulogne, France and Visby, Sweden! :eek: