St. Louis Is Finalizing A Proposal for TDIFest 2014

Will you attend TDIFest IN St. Louis in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
This year, now that I'm thinking about it now, I will put in for the time off. ~1800 miles, 26 hrs, out there from where I'm at so that's easy in just about 2 tanks, but I need to make sure I pit for B20 a couple times. I'll know more if I can go when we get closer, and if I can, I'll be offering up my skills as a photographer.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This year, now that I'm thinking about it now, I will put in for the time off. ~1800 miles, 26 hrs, out there from where I'm at so that's easy in just about 2 tanks, but I need to make sure I pit for B20 a couple times. I'll know more if I can go when we get closer, and if I can, I'll be offering up my skills as a photographer.
I have already scheduled the time off. It's about 1600 miles and about 22.5 hrs, according to Google.

Have Fun!

Don

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Are there other goups that are also working on proposals, either for 2014 or 2015?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are there other groups that are also working on proposals, either for 2014 or 2015?
Good question. There was once the beginnings of a group working for a Denver/Boulder Colorado fest, but I do not know what happened to that idea. As far as I know it stalled out somewhere along the line. I personally would love to see a fest within a one day drive from where I live.

Have Fun!

Don

ILShocker

TDI
none yet
I originally answered the pole as "not sure if I can attend" but after consideration (this would be less than 3 hours drive for me) I will change my response to "I fully expect to attend" oh and I will need a room.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Almost 2 weeks since the last progress report, and it is already February.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Dozen told me we are meeting soon to discuss particulars. From what I understand, progress has been made on location and hotel space. It would appear that is the most difficult part of the process.

T minus 7 months.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Dozen told me we are meeting soon to discuss particulars. From what I understand, progress has been made on location and hotel space. It would appear that is the most difficult part of the process.

T minus 7 months.
Location and hotel are the easy parts...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Greetings!

Our local crew is having a meeting on 2-15. I'll have a clearer focus after that. I apologize for the gaps in time between updates. I wish to explain my job has a million variables, but one constant is the fact it costs me $2.55 an hour just to keep it. Every single hour of the year, whether I work or not, $2.55. Clink, clink clink. There are good days and bad days, and on the good days I have to capitalize on them, and build up my bank to afford the hours I'm not running. :eek: So I'm most productive when focused on a single task. When I need to earn, that's what I do. When I need to detail my car, or do housework, I set the day aside. When I'm working on the Fest, or on the forum.....you get the idea.

So I just want to say I'm encouraged by all the response and pledge to put my best effort into this endeavor, and think we can make a sucess. I've got charts and lists going, a new printer and good support so far. I'll make any new announcements as soon as I can.

Regards,

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
.... one constant is the fact it costs me $2.55 an hour just to keep it. Every single hour of the year, whether I work or not, $2.55. Clink, clink clink. There are good days and bad days, and on the good days I have to capitalize on them, and build up my bank to afford the hours I'm not running. :eek:
What kind of job is that?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, we know, but $2.55 X 24 X 365 = $22,388.00! That's pretty steep for a Taxi license.:eek:
I have no idea how his company works or what kind of licensing they have in St.Louis. My guess is that he pays that rate for all of the hours he is working (or supposed to be working) even when he is sitting awaiting a fare, deadheading back from a long fare, or eating lunch. I doubt that he has to pay it 24/7. If he does, you are right.

Have Fun!

Don

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I have no idea how his company works or what kind of licensing they have in St.Louis. My guess is that he pays that rate for all of the hours he is working (or supposed to be working) even when he is sitting awaiting a fare, deadheading back from a long fare, or eating lunch. I doubt that he has to pay it 24/7. If he does, you are right.

Have Fun!

Don
Don,

Here's DZ's quote:

Dozenspeed said:
...Every single hour of the year, whether I work or not, $2.55. Clink, clink clink...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Old joke (credit to Davey Bold - anybody know what happened to him?)

This fellow from Britain goes to Saint Louis to visit family. One day, he's riding in a cab, and while having a conversation with the driver, the latter asks him if he'd like to try a little riddle. The Brit says "That sounds like fun."

So the cabbie says: "It isn't my sister, and it isn't my brother, but it's a child of my father and mother... who is it?"

The Brit muddles the question for a while, and can't figure it out, so he gives up.

The cabbie says: "It's ME!!!"

The Brit says: "That's clever! I'll have to try that on my buddies back home..."

So he returns, and one day while at the pub with his friends, he says: "How would you like to try a little riddle I picked up in the 'colonies'?" They all say: "That sounds like fun."

So he says: "It isn't my sister, and it isn't my brother, but it's a child of my father and mother... who is it?"

And all the friends start thinking out loud, but can't figure it out... so they say:" Who is it?"

And the fellow says: "It's a cabbie in Saint Louis!!"

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Two NYC taxi licenses recently sold for $705,000. Now that is steep! :eek:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Reminder: Fest crew meeting tomorrow afternoon (2-15-2014) If you didn't get your PM but want to come, please message me. :)

And yes, I did mean $22,338 annually. The company sells me unlimited access to their service contracts for $325 a week. (They sell the same thing with a car for $498, add another $96 for a hybrid.) $22,338 includes my car payment. ;) Anyway...

I'm off to find couples in love and take their money, hope to have lunch with some of you tomorrow!

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I think the wife and I are going to try to attend. The biggest obstacle for us is that my wife works in a school and we have 2 school age children that start school right after Labor Day. Wife's a little concerned being 10 hours away from home just a few days before we have to get everybody back into the swing of things. But we are going to try to make it happen.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Reminder: Fest crew meeting tomorrow afternoon (2-15-2014) If you didn't get your PM but want to come, please message me. :)

And yes, I did mean $22,338 annually. The company sells me unlimited access to their service contracts for $325 a week. (They sell the same thing with a car for $498, add another $96 for a hybrid.) $22,338 includes my car payment. ;) Anyway...

I'm off to find couples in love and take their money, hope to have lunch with some of you tomorrow!
Have a good meeting! Looking forward to hearing the outcome. Give me a call before/during/after if you'd like.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I think the wife and I are going to try to attend. The biggest obstacle for us is that my wife works in a school and we have 2 school age children that start school right after Labor Day. Wife's a little concerned being 10 hours away from home just a few days before we have to get everybody back into the swing of things. But we are going to try to make it happen.
I would just get a early start on Monday. That's what we did when the Fest was in Michigan. The same thing on Friday. Hope to see you there.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Okay I think it went well. There were 7 of us, everyone showed up who said they would and we had a good discussion. Doled out some ideas and assignments and no one ran off screaming. ;) Looks like we have a good group, very positive about everything.

Only two vendors have contacted to date, and we are going to nose around locally too.

We are looking forward to another meeting in the next couple months, in the meantime I and others will be getting some ducks in a row and we'll let you know.

VeeDub, I'll be in touch this week. If you have an ideal time some afternoon......lemme know.

Cheers

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
anywhere in IL B20 is available. Most of the time not labeled but you can sure smell it.

Will you attend TDIFest IN St. Louis in 2014?

St. Louis, St. Petersburg, Santa Clara, Sault Ste. Marie, ....
The poll could have been written without a location specified and my answer would still be: yes.

:(

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
anywhere in IL B20 is available. Most of the time not labeled but you can sure smell it.
...because it reeks of 80% diesel....;)

always the fri sat sun before Monday labor day.
...traditionally, historically, but not always (see: 2001). The US and Canadian Labor/Labour Day holidays coincide to make this a convenient time, but it is not a requirement.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Okay I think it went well. There were 7 of us, everyone showed up who said they would and we had a good discussion. Doled out some ideas and assignments and no one ran off screaming. ;) Looks like we have a good group, very positive about everything.

Only two vendors have contacted to date, and we are going to nose around locally too.

We are looking forward to another meeting in the next couple months, in the meantime I and others will be getting some ducks in a row and we'll let you know.

VeeDub, I'll be in touch this week. If you have an ideal time some afternoon......lemme know.

Cheers
Sounds like a good start:) I think you should have a meeting once a month.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad the meeting went well. Call me anytime... I'll make myself available. :)

Now let's get a proposal together so Fred can approve and I can book this hotel! :)