St. Louis Is Finalizing A Proposal for TDIFest 2014

Will you attend TDIFest IN St. Louis in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to the next evolutionary step in the manifestation of TDI Fest being held in St. Louis, Missouri USA Labor Day Weeked 2014. :)

VeeDubTDI has gone over arrangements with a promising hotel venue that seems to hit all the usual notes and requirements of what has become expected of TDI Fest. He is the man. :cool: He will definately be elemental to the execution of operations. (So competance is assured, it's not just some fest rookie running it by himself. ;))

To lightly summarize those traditional requirements again:

Rooms about $100-ish per night.

A Banquet at about $40-ish

A Breakfast.

Guest Speakers (including oilhammer :D)

Vendor Stands

A Vendor auction

A Car Show

Awards

The hotel should have electricity in the parking lot for us, is in a good area, is just 3 minutes of a major highway intersection, and within 12 minutes of 4 interstates. Adjacent to the parking lot is a quality, 24-hour diesel station, with 5% bio content or less and a nickle discount for cash customers. :cool:

OH, and the whole place is undergoing a major renovation right now due for completion just a few weeks prior to our stay!

I will be doing my best to be your St. Louis guide. If you need or want to find particular points of interest, must-sees and must-trys, shopping, etc, I am confident I can give you decent info and directions off the top of my head.

My primary interest is to enjoy directing the "local flair" property of this TDI Fest here in my hometown, and I'm working on an activity scheme I hope to be fun, relaxing, interesting, and unique.

It combines my fondness for cars and driving them, exploring, very friendly and classy competition, photography, and generally sampling life a little. This activity is completely extra curricular to all the other Fest activites, and you can participate only as much as you care to. There will be enough material to probably fill your whole weekend, and to "see it all" would entail a LOT of driving. I leave it up you to take or leave as much as you want. BUT, to compete there ARE rules and requirerments. Don't worry, nothing major.

Hopefully you are curious now, so here is the general idea of my special activity. I think of it as a live-action Picture Scavenger Hunt Game. Yes, that's right, I want to run a broadway production of that silly thread, bring it to TDI Fest and have real people compete simultaneously. :rolleyes: It's a self-administered tour adventure, road rallye and photo contest all rolled into one!

Here would be the requirements:

1. You have to use a TDI of course

2. Each car must have at least 2 people in it, so teams so to speak. 3 or 4 would be allowed too.

3. You have to submit your pictures electronically via a removable memory card by a deadline.

4. Your TDI and the photographic objective must be in the picture to score.

That's pretty much for rules, so allow to me touch on the parameters:

There will be 3 packets, each with a list of photography targets and rudimentary directions to each. The objective is to collect photos of your TDI with the target for points. Each packet will be for a designated area set, which will be known as "Urban", "Countryside", and the "Mile Monster." (The Mile Monster is basically a second countryside in a whole 'nother area with more miles and less targets that are weighted with more points.) Point is, YOU get to choose which sector set style you prefer, and if you are willing, can do 2 or even all three of them.

You play this game at your own pace. There will notes of interest about and near the photography objectives and you can choose when and how much time you want to enjoy them. You can be competitive or casual, and choose what items interest you. :) While there will be directions to keep you from being lost, the order in which you pursue the objectives is your perrogative.

I think I should stop here for now, maybe wait to see if anyone wants clarifications at this point?

Other ideas I have (subject to crew approval and such) include:

A MPG contest! With a diesel station in the parking lot, we could top the tanks, run a specifically prescribed and tested 100-mile course (complete with check-up-on-you-points;)) and see WHO can run it on the LEAST fuel.

Also I would like to get a nice photo of the cars (shot from an overpass) driving on the motorway underneath in a big block configuration, for something I'm calling "TDI Takeover" .....you know just as a stunt shot keepsake. Someone bring a real high quality camera, please!

So back to business, please vote in the above poll if applicable in addition to any comments or questions.

LOCAL OPERATION CREW ASSEMBLY INVITATION:

In the other threads several folks have PM'd me or expressed interest in being part of the operation crew. If you still want in on that PLEASE send me a fresh new PM titled "STLFest14 Crew" to help me not overlook anyone. I will go through my many pms as best I can, SO that I can PM you all an invitation to a first assembly meeting and discussion, I'm thinking at a modest restaurant dutch treat after the holidays.

VENDORS:

If you are super anxious to stake your claim at this event feel free to PM me your interest with title "Vendor: (name of vendor here)" :)

So that about sums it up for now, but one final warning now: St. Louis summers can be, well, HOT and HUMID. Taint so bad sence we got that thar air condishenin most places.....however, St. Louis weather is a real lottery. Nice weather often crops up whenever it wants and isn't expected. As it was SO hot labor day this year, I'm thinking our odds are good! Here you just plan forth anyway and cross your fingers, or else we'd never plan anything. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
If the Fest is in St Louis, I will make sure to be there.
mishkaya

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

St. Louis, St. Petersburg, Santa Clara, Sault Ste. Marie, ....
The poll could have been written without a location specified and my answer would still be: yes.

...24-hour diesel station, with 5% bio content or less...
:(

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I will for sure be there. Might even bring the whole family this time.. altho or van isnt a tdi...

if not the whole fam, Ill see if My sweet wife would like to attend again. I think that she had fun last year. and might be up for it again. :)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Dozen! You.Are.The.Man.
Well, heh, thanks but I haven't done much yet.....VeeDubTDI is the man. Seriously he has been extremely helpful and encouraging. Hopefully my part will hold up to his caliber when this over.

St. Louis, St. Petersburg, Santa Clara, Sault Ste. Marie, ....
The poll could have been written without a location specified and my answer would still be: yes.

(bit about 5% bio goes here to which the little frowny face below relates to)

:(
Good to know! I'm sure a guy with your Moxie can source something stronger in town. ;)

Yay! Let me know if I can help with any minor roles.

Heck, if you're gonna come as a full-on vendor I'd consider that major! BTW, I didn't know you were a child-actor. :p

The response so far is exciting, thanks everyone! :)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Sounds great.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Awesome news! Usually I'm too busy to travel to TDIFest, but this one is in my "back yard", so I will definitely be there. :)

Lug_Nut

TDI
....Adjacent to the parking lot is a quality, 24-hour diesel station, with 5% bio content or less and a nickel discount for cash customers.
I'm sure a guy with your Moxie can source something stronger in town.
Well, not in THAT town....
"Nearbio.com", my preferred biodiesel locator site, has gone defunct. Biodiesel.org shows a listing of B99 at BioFuels USA, 418 Boonslick, Rd. New Florence, MO (exit 183 off I-70). That's the nearest I've found with the high percent I desire.

sdubois

TDI
2000 Jetta, White
Well, not in THAT town....
"Nearbio.com", my preferred biodiesel locator site, has gone defunct. Biodiesel.org shows a listing of B99 at BioFuels USA, 418 Boonslick, Rd. New Florence, MO (exit 183 off I-70). That's the nearest I've found with the high percent I desire.
They also have excellent food, and is probably a total of a 1.5-2.5hr round trip(i'm not sure where we're having the fest at yet, and probably shouldn't say anything more :) )
their website is http://biofuelsusa.info/

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
If the fest is awarded to a group that will use St. Louis as a base, that 2 hrs additional travel time is less than the side trips to the alternates I've found along the general route I'd take.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
This sounds very good.. I would really like to get to go to another Fest.
I can't take a lot of time off from work to travel to one near the coasts, but
will try to get enough time off work to get to one in St.Louis.

I hope it all comes together!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This sounds very good.. I would really like to get to go to another Fest.
I can't take a lot of time off from work to travel to one near the coasts, but
will try to get enough time off work to get to one in St.Louis.

I hope it all comes together!

Wow! I hope this works out and you can make it! It has been a long time.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Yes, its been a long time. I hope to make it. Haven't been on the
forums for a long time. Just to much other stuff going on to keep me
busy..

I'll try to keep an eye on this to see how it all comes together.

Drive ON!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Hello everyone, just a note to keep this pilot lit, in the next couple weeks I'm sending invitations to be in on the local crew assembly meeting. I am thinking about having it at a decent but moderate restaurant in Fenton Missouri with a nice meal in the middle. We'll be just 4 miles from the hotel if we want to take a group roll by it afterward.

I'll survey for the most amicable time for the most people, but I'm thinking a Saturday or Sunday afternoon the first of or second weekend of February.

And if you are on the fence and need a prod, perhaps if I said Oilhammer has said he would come? :cool:

LOCAL OPERATION CREW ASSEMBLY INVITATION:

In the other threads several folks have PM'd me or expressed interest in being part of the operation crew. If you still want in on that PLEASE send me a fresh new PM titled "STLFest14 Crew" to help me not overlook anyone. I will go through my many pms as best I can, SO that I can PM you all an invitation to a first assembly meeting and discussion, I'm thinking at a modest restaurant dutch treat after the holidays.

VENDORS:

If you are super anxious to stake your claim at this event feel free to PM me your interest with title "Vendor: (name of vendor here)" :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Keep this effort moving forward... we're now just over 8 months until the event is scheduled to happen and we still need to receive a proposal from your group, get Fred to review it, provide feedback, approve it, then book the hotel and start getting everything else moving (registration, logo design, event schedule, etc...).

Keep up the good work! :)

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Good start Dozenspeed. I would try to get that meeting as soon possible. I would try to have the proposal to Fred by early February. I would work on location and what it has to offer. Having a contract for a location is nice to have early on. So you know what the budget for the event will be.

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
So glad this has come into action! Stl is my hometown as well, St Charles specifically, so it will be a good excuse to go home for the weekend! Looking forward to this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Any up date. Lets get rolling. If you have changed your mine please let know.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
The invite to the local crew assembly/planning meeting has been sent out via PM to those who have expressed interest in volunteer support. If you didn't get yours, PM me. I set out four options on near-upcoming weekends and will consider what works for the most people, etc. If you wish to aid in the local operations, attending this meeting is crucial. :)

(EDIT: NOT crucial for Vendors, but you are welcome.)

Goodtian

TDI
Jetta 6MT TDI 2012, Platinum grey
18.5 for me, and for sure you can count me in. Cant wait to visit this city. I hope you can arrange the fest there.