Any updates on 2014

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
A midwestern TDIFest would make it a lot easier to attend for me at least. And it would serve as reason enough to drive up to see my folks in IL

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
A midwestern TDIFest would make it a lot easier to attend for me at least. And it would serve as reason enough to drive up to see my folks in IL
I'm still simmering with my proposal/plans, I'm trying this new thing called "patience" but I'm not sure for how much longer I can tolerate....;)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Patience? about 6 weeks is all.
New Year's is traditionally when the "Is 'fest registration open yet?" posts begin.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
100% count me in if it's in STL. I'll even organize a TUL-STL convoy if there's interest.

The only one I could have even remotely attended was Lexington, KY (2011), and at the time I couldn't afford to do it.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I was referring to civic permissions on the proposal I'm working on. :)
You, as well as anyone else considering such an undertaking, have been granted 'permission'. Indeed, the purpose of the 'future fest' threads is to urge any of you to submit a proposal, or several proposals.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
You, as well as anyone else considering such an undertaking, have been granted 'permission'. Indeed, the purpose of the 'future fest' threads is to urge any of you to submit a proposal, or several proposals.
I apologize for assuming you knew details/status of where I am at on my proposal. :eek: So here's a brief run-down for you and anyone else:

I have found a worthy hotel in price range, in a desirable locale. I've amassed a few volunteers here on the forum to verbally commit their support. I've started designing a unique activity event involving our cars and a sort of exploritory tour of the local flair. Oilhammer is on board as a speaker. I've asked for and aquired VeeDub's expert assistance in the areas of registration coordination. We have contacted the hotel event coordinator. :)

What WE are awaiting is some permission/answers from her and the city on official permits for our tent/parking activities and things. We've given ample time to get the ball back but now it is time for me to start pushing the cart along again, so I'll be making contact again this week in effort to get some concrete progress. THAT is where I have been trying to exercise patience, which is tough for me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
...and I thought "civic" was a way of working around the automatic language censor on TDIClub.
You see, the word "civil" is something many of us aren't, almost as if it is forbidden. Check out the oil wars, or grease vs. bio vs. petro threads, and you'll understand why civilities appear to be so uncommon.

"Bureaucratic" permissions? Now that can be more difficult than trying to get Fred's factions to agree on something.
Good Luck!

avaag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 Green
I'm not sure about the internal politics of the forum but I will firmly back and attend a STL located fest! Viva STL!

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Austin, TX for Formula One event in Nov. Most time F1 is in mid November (Nov 15). It's good place to go during that time a lot music and excellent food. We can stay either Austin or San Antonio (cheaper) or North on Austin. We can visit F1 racing on Sun just buy one day tickets. Also it's excellent weather around all US so driving should be enjoyable and very good mpg. I like Texas I think it's true USA, kind people, good food, a lot music, and fast hwy's.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Austin, TX for Formula One event in Nov. Most time F1 is in mid November (Nov 15). It's good place to go during that time a lot music and excellent food. We can stay either Austin or San Antonio (cheaper) or North on Austin. We can visit F1 racing on Sun just buy one day tickets. Also it's excellent weather around all US so driving should be enjoyable and very good mpg. I like Texas I think it's true USA, kind people, good food, a lot music, and fast hwy's.
You are aware that the TDIFest is on Labor/Labour Day weekend because that is when these U.S. and Canada have the same holiday?

As for mid-November weather, just about every northern and Rocky Mountain state/province will be having snow storms. And, of course, it is close to the U.S. Thanksgiving holidays.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD

I'd consider going, but if Seb is going to run away with next season like he did this season, I have little to no interest. Now..if Kimi works miracles with Ferrari or Grosjean kicks some serious ass with Lotus, I'm IN! Matt says if Lewis is having a half decent season count him in too. :D

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Sad news. The hotel booked a couple weddings out from under me. :( Something about email server failure on THEIR part. :confused: A real follow-up phone call would have been.......nice. (I was trying to avoid using the word "professional" -oh darn it I did anyway) My fault I guess for trying not to be annoying and impetuous. :eek: Suddenly I'm left without the perfect venue. :mad:

I'm now thinking......thinking.......:(

sdubois

TDI
2000 Jetta, White
well thats just SLIGHTLY annoying....I'm now also thinking......thinking.......:(

Verizon Wireless ampitheater has a decent size parking lot, are there usually concerts on holidays(specifically labor day)?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Suddenly I'm left without the perfect venue.
I'm now thinking......thinking.......
Part of the struggle of the fest organization is coping with the set-backs that invariably arise. Those that handle the issues best are those that still make the plan B work better than the fubarred plan A. So that venue would have been perfect? So what? Pick up, move on, work a plan B. How could B be improved to be more like A? Not necessarily perfect, but can it be close enough to A that those in attendance won't care? You might know the difference, but the attendees don't have to know.

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Sad news. The hotel booked a couple weddings out from under me. :( Something about email server failure on THEIR part. :confused: A real follow-up phone call would have been.......nice. (I was trying to avoid using the word "professional" -oh darn it I did anyway) My fault I guess for trying not to be annoying and impetuous. :eek: Suddenly I'm left without the perfect venue. :mad:

I'm now thinking......thinking.......:(
Sounds like they were giving you the run-a-round from day one. You had mentioned to me months ago that they were desperate for business and I now know why. We can always go further out, down 44 maybe? I imagine there are some relatively empty hotels in Eureka. Though the NW area of STL is a pretty nice area. Come to think of it, I don't even think I pass a hotel in my 17 mile commute in the morning.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I hope that a St Louis area meet happens. Most likely will be the only one I would ever be able to attend. Sure can't afford a trip east or west.