Life expectancy of a BHW turbocharger driven with spirit

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Roughly 449,000 km:

Impeller got tired of staying inside of the compressor housing and made good its escape.

Spent Saturday sourcing and installing a replacement, and fishing shrapnel out of the intercooler and plumbing.

Consumed about 2L of oil in about 30 seconds. Quite the smoke show :D

Last edited:

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
:eek: Glad it's already back on the road! Did the ASV manage to shut the engine off or did you have to stall it?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
:eek: Glad it's already back on the road! Did the ASV manage to shut the engine off or did you have to stall it?
Fortunately no runaway. It surged a couple times and knocked a little, but no uncontrolled acceleration. I even started it briefly to position it for the tow truck - foot was poised to dump the clutch just in case though.

The impeller housing actually broke off when the turbine shattered, so that limited the oil going into the intake. Still had to drain about 1.5L out of the intercooler, cross tube and piping.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
What's the yucky brownish white stuff on the side of the road? Hopefully the last we see that this year.

Did you rebuild the turbo or is it upgrade time?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Turbo compressor housing broke in half when the impeller shattered - no rebuild for this one unfortunately.

Went with a stock used unit - the original went 450k with about half of that stageII with spirited driving. I figure another 250k until this one grenades too. :D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Glad you were able to stop safely. Happened to me too 3 years ago. It was an impressive smoke show that's for sure. Did the same as you, replaced it with another good used stock one. The exhaust was full of engine oil. Took 20 minutes of driving in the countryside to get it to clear up.