Service schedules on different TDI's

andrew

Service schedules on different TDI\'s

I saw a posting from dbhatia that said he was taking his new TDI for a 5k (miles) service. This really surprised me.

Here in sunny Belgium I was mildly surprised when I took delivery of my 2001 Audi A6 1.9 TDI that the first service is at two years or 50 000km (31 000 miles). I expected one year or 30-40 Mm.* They did say that I might want to pop in for a quick check over after a year but otherwise they do not expect to see me for a while.

What are recommended service intervals on VW and Audi TDI's in other parts of the world?

Thanks for info
Andrew

* Mm = Mega metre. Life of a TDI should be measured in Gm. "My golf TDI has done 0.6 Gm
"

Mthiker

Veteran Member
Re: Service schedules on different TDI\'s

andrew, that 5k mile service is for our first oil and filter change. I don't think you go 31k miles before an oil change do you?
Here in N.America our oil changes should be at 5K, 10K, 20, etc...Most of us are changing at the 5Ks not the books 10k miles spacing.

------------------
Mthiker
2000 Jetta, Green
GLS TDI 5-Speed

Delphi_Wiz

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI

Andrew,

I didn't mean to confuse you by stating it as a 'service', it's merely an oil change.

To be honest with you, I would have no other reason to go visit the dealer either, I would prefer it to be that way

Sooty

Veteran Member

It seems that the States/Canada have an initial 5k miles oil change, whereas the rest of the world start at 10k miles.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature

Andrew,
don´t let yourself get confused. Your Audi has the new, longer service intervals and the point of oil change is determined by sensors. No matter what people are saying here, go after your service interval indicator !

------------------
´92 VW Polo G40 - 1272ccm / 113bhp
´97 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDI - 2461ccm / 140bhp Ad: "Why settle for moving with the times, when you can overtake them ?"
HP: http://www.planet-interkom.de/CFriedriszik

andrew

Thank you for responses. Indeed, there is no requirement for an oil change until 31k miles when the first service is due. Interestingly the indicator shows much less than 50 000 km, around 38 000 at the moment although that may be based on time as well. I have only doen 3000 km so far.

Andrew

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature

That is because the sensors check for some things like oil temp., load on the engine, driving cycles and much more to determine the need for an oil change.
50K is the abs. max. distance to go between 2 oil changes under ideal circumstances. You should see the figure rise or stay when doing long trips at moderate speed and it will drop like a stone if you are doing short trips for one or two weeks.
50K is max for 4-cyl diesels
35K is max for 6-cyl diesels
30K for gassers I think.