Goop for sportwagen Pano drain fix?

Mittenlakes

TDI
JSW
From what I have read most use goop to repair the fitting leak on the pano roof drain. Looking for folks that have done this repair and it was a long term fix. Did you use rtv, new hose with clamps or goop?

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
When I tackle mine this spring I plan to use a non-water soluble glue/silicone (loc-tite, DAP, Gorilla all make silicone based glues like this) with some flexibility to re-attach the hose to the drain and then add a small 1/4" stainless steel hose clamp (the type with the screw tightening band if there's enough room to squeeze it in there) to fully secure things. Hopefully it should be able to be cleaned/reamed reliably rather than delicately and the silicone should be able to withstand the temperature difference year round.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I've never done this car repair, but here's some input from the kayak world, where I have some experience.
A lot of kayaks have tubing connections for the skeg control wire/line. People have been moving to Lexel rather than silicone for sealing those connections. It sticks better than silicone. Check your hardware store.
The 'Goop' trademark products are similar.
Wrapping the connection with self-amalgamating silicone tape ('rescue tape') can reinforce the connection, but is difficult if there's not a lot of working room.

Mittenlakes

TDI
JSW
I've never done this car repair, but here's some input from the kayak world, where I have some experience.
A lot of kayaks have tubing connections for the skeg control wire/line. People have been moving to Lexel rather than silicone for sealing those connections. It sticks better than silicone. Check your hardware store.
The 'Goop' trademark products are similar.
Wrapping the connection with self-amalgamating silicone tape ('rescue tape') can reinforce the connection, but is difficult if there's not a lot of working room.
Thanks. I researched Lexel. Looks similar to Goop. I have a fresh tube of Goop that I will put to work. Hopefully it fixes the problem. I only have one leak... so far. I might as well tackle all four to head off any future issues. I really didn't want a panoramic roof, it just happened to be on the car that was priced "right".

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I really didn't want a panoramic roof, it just happened to be on the car that was priced "right".
Same here..I wanted 'leather' seats (easier to clean dog hair) and a radio that would easily accept a backup camera but could have done without the pano roof.
Not looking forward to cleaning pano drains, etc...
:)
All the TDI wagons I found had the 'Highline' trim package, so no alternatives.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
x2 on the Lexel tip, thank you!

I also could have done without the pano roof, but it is what it is. I hope to fix it once and be done with it even though I only have issue with the front passenger side. Fingers crossed I didn't preemptively jinx myself.

Mittenlakes

TDI
JSW
Same here..I wanted 'leather' seats (easier to clean dog hair) and a radio that would easily accept a backup camera but could have done without the pano roof.
Not looking forward to cleaning pano drains, etc...
:)
All the TDI wagons I found had the 'Highline' trim package, so no alternatives.
Ditto on the seats and dogs. Heated seats were also a big factor. I kept looking at a few 2015 GSW's but to get into a car without a roof heated seats were not an option. Not sure why. 09-14 could be had with hardtop and heated seats. I like the car so much I think I may buy a 15 Golf as well.