What Cam & timing belt kit to buy?

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
My 2006 Jetta TDI hit 205K miles and due for a new timing belt and reading all the posts it looks like I should replace the camshaft too. I just want a stock profile cam since it's just a driver where mileage and dependability are # 1 for me. Does anyone have a sale on these kits now? I don't want to skimp and buy something off ebay that will cause problems in the near future either.
TIA

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The kit from IDParts is a safe bet. That's what I put in on my car a few years ago.

When in doubt, you can pull the valve cover and see if there's any visible damage. If you're good with a set of tools, I'd run it if it doesn't look bad, then change it if it gets to that point. It's pretty easy to change the timing belt and pull the cam on these cars. If you think it'll take you all weekend and never want to dip back in the engine bay, then it's wise to change it.

I'd also take a few extra minutes to pull the airbox and battery tray and clean those main grounds while you have your tools out.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
My 2006 Jetta TDI hit 205K miles and due for a new timing belt and reading all the posts it looks like I should replace the camshaft too. I just want a stock profile cam since it's just a driver where mileage and dependability are # 1 for me. Does anyone have a sale on these kits now? I don't want to skimp and buy something off ebay that will cause problems in the near future either.
TIA
Speaking from my own experience I would advise a kit containing a Colt Stage 2 camshaft. 2020 will be the 7th year and 70K miles since I replaced mine. I sourced most of the required parts from ID parts but sourced the camshaft from a different vendor since I wanted a colt camshaft as they are made from a forged steel billet and hardened. The Colt cams also have a proprietary lobe profile more suitable to the flat tappet cam followers and narrow cam lobes. My stock camshaft that came in the car from the factory started to fail in the second year of ownership as indicated by oil analysis indicating high and excessive Iron in the oil. VW was deaf to my plight so it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. My oil analysis became progressively worse until I received my final test report as my car neared the end of the warranty indicating in red print that I had an engine failure in progress and to not drive the car until remedial action is taken. VW's response was that they don't recognize used oil analysis. :mad:

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Fortunately, the IDParts cam is also billet instead of cast. Supposedly it's made by the same company that makes Colt's BRM camshaft.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Fcp euro has the kolbenschmit cam and kit. I believe it's the same cam as id parts.
If I were to do it over, I'd go with the Colt, since it's profile is not supposed to wear as easily. I put one in from id parts, and it lasted 30k miles, until my tandem pump went out and leaked fuel into the oil, and it wore my cam out.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Franks TDI BEW re-profiled kit is what I'd recommend and have installed before. Unbelievable service, complete kit and knowledge from one of our Guru's here and the kit has some advantages over standard replacement kits for sure.

Frank kind of pioneered the "*** did VW do in this thing" around the lubrication system here so he really knows his stuff, to say the least. :)

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
been too busy to mess with it yet

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
The FCP kit is a good deal. With the lifetime warranty you can’t go wrong.