EGR / DPF problems - looking for opinions

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
Perhaps “downgrade” is the wrong verbiage what I really meant was “adapted design”. Apparently though I haven’t verified this, the US spec 2.0TDI received some engine adaptations to meet EPA emission regulations. This took the shape of several engine components being for lack of better terminology “nerfed” though I’m sure VW would say adapted. If you go through my thread, the euro 140CR and the 170CR have all same parts except the turbo, whereas the US 140CR has a slew of different parts from the 170CR.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I started a similar thread recently, hadn't seen yours. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=370184 Seems it's more than turbo. Cylinder head, injectors, HPFP also seem to be different.

I think it's pretty difficult to tell why VW or any manufacturer puts different components in different models. For example, why are there significant differences between the Passat and Golf/Jetta engines? Is it only because of Urea? Does that require a water cooled intake or a different turbo?

Supply chain considerations, proximity of component suppliers to engine assembly plants, impact of emissions hardware changes on engine tuning, different countries' safety equipment changing vehicle weight and therefore emissions...lots of things can affect "engineering" decisions.

Front Runner

TDI
99 VW Beetle TDI & 2012 Turbo Beetle TSI
Trying to evaluate whether to stick with it or sell and move to GTI.

Opinions welcome - thanks
OP,

I think you brought the wrong car for your intended use. Sell it and get the Turbo gasser. You'll have less mpg's but wont have to deal with this stuff. I personally believe you'll continue to have these types of problems with your vehicle.

Lujess

TDI
'11 Golf TDI 4 dr., 6 spd MT: SOLD
OP,

I think you brought the wrong car for your intended use. Sell it and get the Turbo gasser. You'll have less mpg's but wont have to deal with this stuff. I personally believe you'll continue to have these types of problems with your vehicle.
Thanks for the comment - yes, I've come to the same conclusion. Now just pondering whether to go GTI or R.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
Thanks for the comment - yes, I've come to the same conclusion. Now just pondering whether to go GTI or R.
Get the R! Sure it's more money but it's more car! Only way I would get the GTI over the R is if I had my heart set on a DSG. That my openion anyway...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Resurrecting this old thread because it's the only one I can find regarding code P0240f.

My 2009 Touareg Tdi is also getting this code. It will post the code for 100 or so miles, then magically the MIL light goes out for the next 100 or so. In an average tank (I've only had it for 3 tanks of fuel) it comes on 2 or 3 times.

My typical driving is between 7-22 miles, but I always try to get the engine oil temperature to operating range before shutting down. I do tow 2500 lb trailer about half of the driven miles.

The MIL light will typically come on when I accelerate moderately at freeway speeds (no kick down of gears occurring). I suspect clogged intake, but this is a dieselgate warranty vehicle, and it was supposedly serviced during the dieselgate resolution.

I'll soon be taking it to VW Scottsdale (excellent shop with superb service), but I am just wondering if this has been a recurring problem for other Tdi owners, and what was the cause and resolution for you?

BTW: I can sometimes feel a noticeable hiccup on power delivery. I don't know what to attribute it to other than start of regen?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Resurrecting this old thread because it's the only one I can find regarding code P0240f.

BTW: I can sometimes feel a noticeable hiccup on power delivery. I don't know what to attribute it to other than start of regen?
Im glad these older threads pop up occasionally, it can be telling of pre-dieselgate issues relative to post-diesel "fix" issues. I found alittle on a po240f search

http://p240f-volkswagen.autotroublecode.com/