vag com scan "diesel particulate trap bank 1" malfunction

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi , I got a 2010 jetta and the engine light came on.I did a vag com scan and came back with a "diesel particulate filter trap bank 1" error malfuction.I took this to the dealership and they cleared the light and told me to drive more highway as this makes the car hotter and burns the soot and not plug the filter.I drive this car 3-5 times a week 100kms there and back.I just want to know if i should ask the dealership to do more scans on this as i dont want to pay for anything not covered by the warranty.The car has 65000kms now.
Any suggestions. thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm curious to know what ross-tech wiki says about your DTC if you can provide it.

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
what is DTC

Can you tell me how to get this via vag com and i can provide this

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Can you tell me how to get this via vag com and i can provide this
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code. It's the number before the text description. For example: (in my car)

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -

The DTC would be 01044

Just copy and paste the entire error message and we can figure it out.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
008194 - Particle Filter Bank 1: Malfunction
OK, that helps a bit.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18434/P2002/008194

If you regularly drive 100km on the highway several times a week, it should have had a chance to regenerate. But it couldn't hurt to try an emergency regeneration (click on emergency regeneration link in the above linked page). If this doesn't fix the problem this means it is probably the G450 pressure sensor which is at the bottom of the DPF. Either your DPF is getting clogged or this sensor is bad. Good Luck!

This might be something you will want your dealer to handle, but that is your choice.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This image appears to show the G450's actual position, the first picture (above) shows the connection, not the actual sensor. I'm not positive where you will find it. It says it's #33 in the drawing but the tubing makes it hard to tell the exact location.

The tubing makes it look like it could be a differential pressure with inputs from before and after the DPF.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
ya since the dealership already cleared the lights , so far so good but just want to take precaution so if this does happen again after warranty at 80000kms i have something to say.Any suggestion on doing anything now or just watch for this to happen again. I was just wondering if the engine light came on why was there nothing replaced or fixed.The engine light does not come on by it self .any suggestions would be great.thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only suggestions I can think of are:
1) Look at that sensor and make sure that the tubes are firmly attached. I could see a loose connection causing intermittent faults.
2) Find another dealer (if possible). Just clearing codes and checking nothing else seems to me to be the lazy way out. I would feel better if they actually tried to do a little troubleshooting (or at least looking around).

Have Fun!

Don

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the response. I guess if someone was to look at the tubes etc i would have to bring the car to the dealer as i dont know what i am doing.
But yes i will probaly bring the car to another dealer but what would i say there is not fault lights or wait until a light comes on...what do you think
I was planning to do another vag com scan , now when doing a normal vagcom scan does the ignition have to be turned on or just turn the car on without starting the engine.Thanks JSWtd109 for the suggestion.
I love this car just dont want to find out there are issues down the road.I heard the dpf should last up to 120000 miles that what the forums say and why should the dpf only last that long , should last longer i think . Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You do not have to start the car to do a VCDS scan. You do have to have the key turned on, but the engine does not have to be running. The key must be turned on because part of the VCDS cable is powered by the car.

You will probably have to wait for the fault code to come back (probably a check engine light) for another dealer to take you very seriously. Unless you get other significant fault codes about this sensor or the DPF.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
#33 in the above picture is the pressure sensor attached to the electric fuel pump bracket right next to the coolant bottle, just above the engine mount..

Seapup

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0TDI sportwagon
Can you tell me if Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor #1 (item #33) an Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor #2 (item #1) are identical parts. That means the car has 2 Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensors and they are identical?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you tell me if Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor #1 (item #33) an Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor #2 (item #1) are identical parts. That means the car has 2 Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensors and they are identical?
It looks like they are different part numbers with different prices (one is about twice the cost of the other). One is a differential pressure sensor and the other appears to be a straight (absolute) pressure sensor.

Have Fun!

Don

dandel

TDI
vw jetta sportswagen DSG
Hi, I have a 2010 JSW TDI and also retrieved a an DTC code of 008194 for "Particulate trap below threshold" with my Ross Tech VCDS. I was thinking it is because I don't drive a lot of highway miles and had let the diesel soot build up, but it turned out that the dealer had to replace the EGR cooler and re-install the particulate filter for me.

2015TDIMT

TDI
2013 Jetta 2.0 MT
P2002 DPF Pressure

2013 Jetta tdi

Hey guys. So about 2 months after replacing my resonator and muffler with same diameter pipe, my car is throwing a P2002. Code for the DPF. It won't go away after disconnecting the neg. cable. Wondering what my options are, don't want to take it in until I've corrected anything that would void my warranty.