www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 21st, 2017, 14:26   #16
dae06
Veteran Member

Default Oh Man!!

I was making calls to Bosch and VW and the place motor parts got the first (wrong) starter.

I came to the conclusion that I needed:

VW: 02z 911 023 fx
or
Bosch: 0-001-123-fx
or
SR0833X

ID parts says the SR0408x will not fit. I trust you Oilhammer, but would you mind checking why the SR0833X wouldn't fit:

2005.5 VW Jetta, TDI, 5-speed manual trans.
dae06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 15:16   #17
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Hang on, my bad.

SR0408x is for the square plug connector, which the BRM cars won't have.

BRM manual: SR0455x

BRM automatic: SR0496x

Sorry for the confusion, for some reason it looked it up differently the first time, but when I actually clicked on the part, it directed me to another page with the correct one.
Old November 21st, 2017, 19:34   #18
dae06
Veteran Member

So the SR0833X is not the correct starter?

Autohaus says: BS-02Z911023FX

ID Parts says:

OEM Part Number: 02Z911023F
Manufacturer Number: SR0833X
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:10   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Sorry man, all I do is order one up from my supplier, usually Worldpac, and they would usually have one in their warehouse here in STL, so I would have it in my hand in a couple hours or if I needed it right away I'd send one of our porters down to get it and I would have it in my hand in 20 minutes.

I've never gotten a Bosch reman starter that was wrong. *shrug* If the numbers I provided are wrong, I apologize. Sometimes the pictures in the part lookup are incorrect, but the numbers are correct, and the part in the box is correct.

FWIW, often times the aftermarket reman programs will consolidate several replacement numbers into one part. This can add to the confusion. The reason this happens is that when Bosch made the starter for Volkswagen, they were making thousands of them for a specific application, and they negotiated the lowest price possible. Down to the penny.

So engine A may require a 1.4kw motor, engine B which is mostly the same but maybe a higher performance version with higher compression may require a 1.5kw motor. The manufacturer (Volkswagen, Chrysler, whoever) will be trying to get the best price possible, and the difference in price between the 1.4 and 1.5kw versions may be 4 cents, due to the only difference being a few extra windings of copper wire inside the armature. The manufacturer does not want to pay an extra 4 cents for something they do not need because over the course of all the starters they expect to buy it adds up.

However, when Bosch rebuilds the starters, they may decide that it is of no value to deal with two different numbers, so they just rebuild them for both applications with the 1.5kw motor.

An example of this exact thing happening: Volkswagen Transporters. The late Type 4 engine powered T2s and the early Type 4 engine powered T3s (Vanagons) used the same engine. But, the T3 relocated the battery to the front of the van above the right front wheel, whereas the T2 had the battery in the right rear corner, much closer to the starter. So the T3 needed a larger battery cable, which meant they put a long collar on the end of the cable which required a longer stud on the starter solenoid. Two different starters by part number, but in the Bosch reman line, they realized that the earlier vans could use the long stud starter just fine, they'd just have an extra cm of stud on there. So two part numbers became one.
Old December 14th, 2017, 13:34   #20
dae06
Veteran Member

Default Update:

Good news, the new starter has solved my problem. For the last few years what I blamed on poor battery performance, was really a dying starter. This morning was 4 degree F, and she fired up like nothing. I wouldn't have had a chance of it starting at this temperature over the last 3-4 years.
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:39   #21
dtrvler

Fuel Economy: 53 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae06 View Post
Good news, the new starter has solved my problem. For the last few years what I blamed on poor battery performance, was really a dying starter. This morning was 4 degree F, and she fired up like nothing. I wouldn't have had a chance of it starting at this temperature over the last 3-4 years.

So which starter turned out to be the correct one?
dtrvler is offline   Reply With Quote