Blue smoke and rev up after shut down

Mountaineer51

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So if I get off the Interstate or run the car fairly hard and shut it down, it will blow a massive blue cloud and rev up somewhat when I start it back up after setting for a while ( engine still being warm ) The car does not do it on cold starts. I have my suspicions, but want to confirm or hear from you guys.
Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Check how much oil is in the bottom of the intercooler.
Should not be much.
Follow the check the oil level regularly.

Mountaineer51

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Have kept a eye on oil level. Hasn’t changed hardly. I Have driven the car for the last month and the only time it did it was after I had gotten off the interstate and parked the car for 30 min to 2 hours. When I fire it back up it smokes like major blue cloud .
The car can sit for a week and start it up and not even a puff. If I drive it easy, I can drive it for a month and it won’t do it.
It only does it after I run it fairly hard and it gets shut down and sits for a little bit. Any ideas? Anybody?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You might be seeing water vapor that's getting into the combustion chambers past the head gasket when running hard on the highway. Coolant level stable? Any signs of pressurization of the cooling system after a hard run?

Mountaineer51

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You might be seeing water vapor that's getting into the combustion chambers past the head gasket when running hard on the highway. Coolant level stable? Any signs of pressurization of the cooling system after a hard run?
Coolant level hasn’t moved. Its a blueish smoke and smells like burnt oil .

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just to rule out the silly stuff, if the car runs at say 75 for a while and you are shutting down within just a few minutes, it might do that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've experienced something similar, but usually at a WOT condition where it likes to keep accelerating for a few seconds. Try doing an Italian tune up, and check for oil in your intercooler.

Anigrelli132

TDI
2000 Jetta MKIV
I had the same issue when I had my 04 6.0 I rebuilt my turbo and that fixed the issue apparently my turbo rear seal was bad and was ever so slowly leaking oil into the exhaust but got worse when it was at high speeds. Not sure if this might be your problem but most of the time blue smoke is oil. I never rebuilt a tdi turbo but I'm sure it's not too difficult or you could get a used one. After a long drive on your interstate park let it cool then pull the exhaust off the turbo and stick your finger or if you completely pull it off look in and if you see oil deposits then the turbo is mostlikley your culprit. But dont confuse oil with soot. You could before you do the test pull the exhaust clean that small section with paper towel or shop towel to have a clean test surface.