Audi A/S4 exterior mirrors on mk4 jetta?

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen jetta tdi wagon
Is it possible to install A4 b5 or b6 exterior mirrors on a mk4 jetta? The reason I am asking is because I am wanting to install the auto dimming mirrors inside and out and the base for the a4 mirrors look the same as the mk4 mirror base. I need to replace my headliner soon and want to do this upgrade at the same time.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I wish I could give you an answer but I like the way you think...I try to do as much in the area I'm working in to minimize down time and stay ahead of those Gremlins

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Last edited:

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m pretty sure I’ve looked at all the similar year Audi options and none will work.

There is supposed to be a European auto-dim side mirror that will fit the MK4/B5 assembly.

I’ll go look for the links again and post back if I can find anything.

Here’s 1 link, starts on VWVortex & has various links, some back to TDIClub

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5374523-OEM-auto-dimming-door-mirror-wing-mirror
Thanks for the link. So now I have the part numbers for the glass and they said from the hinge pin out they are the same so I could take some audi mirrors and some junkyard jetta mirrors and make some hybrid mirrors. I will post the results.

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay for those that want to know audi a4 b5 mirrors are the same from the hinge out. So it is possible to make hybrid mirrors so you can have auto dimming heated mirrors. I would post pictures but I couldn't get the Phillips screws out of the bottom of the mirrors so I have to order some new ones.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Okay for those that want to know audi a4 b5 mirrors are the same from the hinge out. So it is possible to make hybrid mirrors so you can have auto dimming heated mirrors. I would post pictures but I couldn't get the Phillips screws out of the bottom of the mirrors so I have to order some new ones.
Could you do a follow up if you get it working? I'm subscribing, interested in doing the same thing.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I actually did this a couple years ago using C5 A6 mirrors (same as B5 A4). A few things were not as obvious as I initially thought. One thing that I didn't like is that the outer cap doesn't sit flush with the mounting bracket trim as seen in the pic below. It didn't bother me too much though, still worth it IMO. OP, if you run into any trouble, feel free to message me. It's been a while, but I've done three sets so it's still in memory.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

loganwolverine

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually did this a couple years ago using C5 A6 mirrors (same as B5 A4). A few things were not as obvious as I initially thought. One thing that I didn't like is that the outer cap doesn't sit flush with the mounting bracket trim as seen in the pic below. It didn't bother me too much though, still worth it IMO. OP, if you run into any trouble, feel free to message me. It's been a while, but I've done three sets so it's still in memory.

Yeah I noticed that but it doesn't bother me at all. I am just waiting on the black plastic covers that go under the painted cover as I have to break them off of both sets of mirrors. My car is from Canada and it looks like the audi mirrors I got sat in salt water.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Looks good enough for me. I'd love to add the auto dimming and also power folding features. I'm guessing the A4 Audi (B5 platform) mirrors would support both.

I haven't tried looking yet, how do I identify the auto dimming option in the junkyard?

What do I need for wiring? It seems like I just need the door harness from the donor car, but I want to be sure. Most of my reading refers to power folding Passat mirrors and some times the Audi version is a little different.

Thanks.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan

Could it be an issue of using longer or shorter screws to make it flush or is something else in the way?

dubrs.com