2002 MKIV Jetta TDI Sedan 5spd GLS - Mechanic Special

mrfixit454

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE
All , its with heavy heart that I have to let my TDI go. I have learned a lot from everyone on this forum and want to give a big thanks to all. A few weeks ago with about 160k miles on the clock, I think the timing belt skipped a tooth or so. I had just filled up and went through a car wash and it shut off just a few blocks from the wash as if it ran out of diesel. It cranked like no compression.. it just sounded funny. Had it towed home, tried cranking again and maybe it slipped some more teeth and heard metal on metal while cranking so I stopped (pistons to valves?). This is just a guess, I really don't know what's wrong. I got as far as taking off the valve cover and making sure belt is still on but that is it.

It had 20k miles left on a 100k mile job from local guru Leonard. Needs paint and headliner, driver seat has a hole on the seat back on the side when you get in. This car had been giving me consistent 32-36 mpg around town 90% city driving. After market Enkei rims, tires are good. I have owned this car since 2005 and it has never let me down and never really needed much but maintenance items. I have no time to fix this myself as I volunteer in boy scouts and high school robotics. My Local TDI guru has disappeared and don't trust my dealer.

So, anyone out there have spare parts/time/engine and want to buy this? Come take a look.
I am in Westminster CA

Ramon, aka Mrfixit

Here is a photo....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v7ci2CXtwSZAaGVE9

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
+1 for helping with robotics teams.

mrfixit454

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE
Not a Mechanic Special after all

So I took some time to let the car sit found a 2017 Jetta TSI from Hertz rental car sales and finally found some time to read up on no start issues. My 14 year old really wants the 02 TDI and he was disappointed when I told him I was trying to sell it.

After some reading and then cranking the motor again, I realized the motor is not making any strange metallic noises like before.. I really don't know what that was. I checked for clogged fuel line with mighty vac: OK. I checked glow plug light and ECM light with key on: OK. I checked tach movement while cranking, I see no movement. Started to think crank sensor but then checked voltage at fuel cut off solenoid. No volts while key on. I proceeded to jump it and after a few cranks it fired right up and sounded like it always has. So I shut it down and called it a night out in the garage and did some more reading on this issue.

So the car is not a total loss, hopefully I can get it sorted out after more investigating here. Doesn't seem like a 109 problem but who knows and I need a spare anyway. Made it 13 years so far without one.

If I get it going, might need to go back to it and let the wife drive the 2017 until my son starts driving ;) I am really thrilled that there does not appear to be engine damage.

Ramon

Last edited: