TDIFest 2010 Drag Racing Event!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
TDIFest 2010 Portland is excited to announce that a Drag Racing Event will be held at Woodburn Dragstrip on Saturday, September 4, 2010 From 9am-11am.

Information:
7730 NE Highway 219, Woodburn, OR 97071
http://www.woodburndragstrip.com
Directions to Dragstrip from Hotel
1/4 timed with lights.
Open/public drag racing, TDIClub has it's OWN lane! :D
If you plan to participate in this event, you do so at your own risk, as TDIclub, Woodburn Track, TDIFest, and any of it's staff or affiliates are not responsible for your participation in TDIFest or any of it's related events. Please bear in mind that TDIFest is, and has always been, an AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK event.

Pricing:
$30 to race
$10 each spectator
$5 spectators 6yrs to 14yrs
Under 6 yrs free

Please sign up on the TDIFest REGISTRATION site (http://tdiclub.com/tdifest/reg2010/index.php?cPath=23) if you plan to attend the Drag Racing event. This is to help us keep track of how many participants there will be, so as to be able notify Woodburn of the anticipated numbers. Thank you. :D

Also, a note:
The Woodburn Company Stores -IE an Outlet Mall - is located just off highway 5 near the drag strip, for anyone interested. It's open from 10am-8pm on Saturday and 10am-7pm on sunday.
http://www.shop-woodburn.com/

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I will have my flat bed trailer and truck with me in case anyone has problems. Hopefully we won't need it but it will be there just in case.;)

Hope to see all of you there.
O.C.

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
I don't remember if I had already signed up on the 'fest page for it or not but i'm planning on attending this

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What equipment will be needed for participants?
Extinguisher mounted where the driver can reach it while belted?
Helmet? and to what standard or certificate date?

Lug_Nut

TDI
(duplicate post has been deleted)

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Major details can be found here:
http://www.woodburndragstrip.com/racer-handbook

but GENERAL REGULATIONS & Standard Operating Procedures are:

HELMET — Drivers of all cars 13.99 and quicker are required to have an approved helmet. See the NHRA Rulebook for specific applications.
DIAL-INS— Must be visible from the tower, placed on passenger side, front and rear window. It must be in place before cars leave the head of the staging lanes (crosswalk for Super Pro) and may not be changed without the Event Directors approval. Check the scoreboard before staging. ABSOLUTELY NO RE-RUNS DUE TO INCORRECT DIAL-IN.
CAR NUMBERS — required 6” high by 1 1/2” wide on both sides and front & rear window. Shoe polish is not permitted in Pro and Super Pro.
RESTRICTED ACCESS — Drivers and crew must sign the Release & Waiver of Liability at each event. Signers will be given a wristband, which must be visible each time you enter the restricted area. Waivers can be signed at the Pro Shop on the east side of the facility. Violations result in loss of time trial, disqualification, or other sanctions. Parents must sign a Minor Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement for any minor between the ages of 15 and 17.
LANE CHOICE — Determined by coin flip on all laddered eliminators, non-laddered competitors will be assigned lanes by staging personnel.
RE-RUNS — In the event of a timing malfunction drivers may change their dial-ins. Competitors must run lanes as in previously round.
RANDOM PAIRING — You are considered paired with another competitor once staging control has pointed to both competitors (whether that happens in the staging lanes or water box). Once paired if one competitor is unable to compete (not start, broken or unable to make the call when so directed by staging control) the other competitor will receive a bye run. The competitor able to make the call must stage under engine power and take the tree to advance to the next round unless otherwise instructed by the Event Director.
LADDERS — All qualifying and ladders will be based on reaction time. Super Pro, Motorcycle, High School and JDRL will be paired first round, based on all qualifying runs. Pro is laddered second round and Sportsman will be laddered when field is reduced to 16 cars or less. PAYOUT — Payouts are based on car count. All classes pay to the semi-finals. If there are only three semi-finalists, the odd-lot money goes to the driver who lost in the quarter-finals with the best reaction time.
SINGLE RUNS -- The competitor with the best REACTION TIME in the most recent round will be pulled aside and will run last. If there is an odd number of cars, this competitor will receive a bye run. This run WILL NOT count as a single once the remaining cars have been laddered.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I'm in but where can we see those who have signed up?

can we add a list of those racing on this thread?

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
I'm in but where can we see those who have signed up?

The list is undisclosed on the registration page. Anyone who wants to post that they're Racing, can absolutely post if they like, but it's certainly not required.
Looking to start a little friendly competition and camaraderie with the races? :confused: ;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
Be sure to let me know what the back of my Cabrio looks like....

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
I was looking to see if I could see individuals who ordered Drag Racing on the Reg. site. Doesn't look like I can, I can only see how many people ordered and ho many have looked at it. sorry, i'll keep looking and post up if i find anything. :)

But...on that note....I'm waiting to "see" who leaves who in the soot cloud. bwahahahaha.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Little boys need compensatory aids to offset their deficiencies.
Others, secure enough in their masculinity, can do as they desire.

"HELMET — Drivers of all cars 13.99 and quicker are required to have an approved helmet."
Note to self: bring a helmet.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I heard there may be a rocket at Woodburn this year?!? I for one, am gunning for Oldpoopie... He must be getting scared, cause he's swapping in a bigger turbo!!!

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Phil, come on down to Pacificwaterland at woodburn next sunday for some practice!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Phil, come on down to Pacificwaterland at woodburn next sunday for some practice!
Not a bad idea, I'll see what the wif thinks. Oh, and my second goal at PDX (besides spankin' oldpoopie), is beating Dieselpower04's time and trap speed :D

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Well, my practice ended with a time of 15.930 @ 85.51 next to oldPoopies 15.732 @ 92.30. I then proceeded to destroy my diff on takeoff for my 4th run... a combination of wheel hop and the track dressing.

I post that as a caution to those. You have to pay to play. I'm looking forward to getting the car back on the strip, it was WAY FUN!

I may not be able to race at fest, if the car is back together it will have a fresh clutch and wont be broken in. We'll see.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, my practice ended with a time of 15.930 @ 85.51 next to oldPoopies 15.732 @ 92.30. I then proceeded to destroy my diff on takeoff for my 4th run... a combination of wheel hop and the track dressing.

I post that as a caution to those. You have to pay to play. I'm looking forward to getting the car back on the strip, it was WAY FUN!

I may not be able to race at fest, if the car is back together it will have a fresh clutch and wont be broken in. We'll see.
We'll pull 4 hr shifts starting Thursday afternoon driving JetPuf around downtown Portland in stop and go traffic if we have to. We'll get that clutch broken in on time :D

On a side note, at least you'll have an LSD now. No more worries about exploding diffs :)